ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Boot-lock not working off the remote (182)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Before blindly attempting to fix this - what would you guys suggest? I've heard comments about boot solenoids, etc - but is this the first port of call?

Essentially the boot is locked at the minute with the boot button in the diamond not being able to be pushed in. The key fob flicks both door locks with no issue - but there's total silence from the boot area.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Does the boot lock have its own fuse?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
There is a way of opening the boot from the inside , can't remember how but it's obvious when you look.

Once boot is open , take off the plastic panel, a couple of t15 or T20 screws plus poppers hold it on.

Then remove the solenoid mechanism. It's not actually a solenoid , a motor and some cogs. Move the cogs with your fingers. Press the key fob button and check if the cogs move. Usually by just moving the cogs a bit it unfreezes it all. Hopefully that fixes it. Use some grease to lube up the cogs whilst there too.

If that doesn't fix it you will need to buy a new locking mechanism .

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
There is a way of opening the boot from the inside , can't remember how but it's obvious when you look.

Once boot is open , take off the plastic panel, a couple of t15 or T20 screws plus poppers hold it on.

Then remove the solenoid mechanism. It's not actually a solenoid , a motor and some cogs. Move the cogs with your fingers. Press the key fob button and check if the cogs move. Usually by just moving the cogs a bit it unfreezes it all. Hopefully that fixes it. Use some grease to lube up the cogs whilst there too.

If that doesn't fix it you will need to buy a new locking mechanism .
Great stuff - thanks for the info, @Gus. I'll give that a try this weekend.

Cheers,
D.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
If it is a solenoid you need Darren - they’re plenty on eBay for about a tenner - piece of p1ss to fit.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Mines failed again today. Ebay one lasted a few weeks, I'll be getting a genuine new one when I get home. Piece of piss to change it. Youtube will help if you need it.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Finally got around to this yesterday - along with removing my knackered back-box heat-shield from underneath.

The only slightly twitchy-bum time I had was in removing the the inner trim card from the boot lid itself. With that one retaining screw removed, it seemed far too attached to simply pull off - yet it did. I looked a right tool at 6'1" wedged in the back of my car with the back seats down, trying to release the boot catch, but finally managed it. ;)

Needed to order a new item - @0ss was your item approx £10 that you bought? Part of the plastic lug had sheared off and wedged in the gears. Even stripping it down and super-gluing the lug back on, wasn't good enough - so a new item it was.

I guess another benefit I noticed while back there, were several Torx screws that were simply nipped-up and certainly not in tight. Had a few plastic-trim rattles at the back, so hopefully that will have sorted a few of those out too.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Finally got around to this yesterday - along with removing my knackered back-box heat-shield from underneath.

The only slightly twitchy-bum time I had was in removing the the inner trim card from the boot lid itself. With that one retaining screw removed, it seemed far too attached to simply pull off - yet it did. I looked a right tool at 6'1" wedged in the back of my car with the back seats down, trying to release the boot catch, but finally managed it. ;)

Needed to order a new item - @0ss was your item approx £10 that you bought? Part of the plastic lug had sheared off and wedged in the gears. Even stripping it down and super-gluing the lug back on, wasn't good enough - so a new item it was.

I guess another benefit I noticed while back there, were several Torx screws that were simply nipped-up and certainly not in tight. Had a few plastic-trim rattles at the back, so hopefully that will have sorted a few of those out too.
Yep it's not an expensive part. Great fun to get to change though isn't it😂.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Right - this solenoid has gone again - each time it sounds like it's grinding gears when the car is locked/unlocked. I suspect the lovely black crown wheel at the end is gradually getting stripped by the motor gear beneath it.

It was barely a tenner for the part back in October - but it worth buying another eBay jobbie - or are the OEM ones a LOT more expensive?

Just had a quick look on the 'Bay....

1594735651598.png

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
These are common as muck. Mine had gone when I got the car. I replaced it with a scrap yard one. Every time I go to the scrappy and see a clip I grab them as they go all the time and mine has gone again but I have 3 in the shed. If you have that luxury then just grab them and stock up as I can assure you they will go again.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Mine currently has gone but as its a project it lives in the garage unlocked and must've failed when it was unlocking as the dam thing just doesn't lock now. I've just been lazy to change it again even though the boot is stripped and its a 30 second job which always at the longest jobs when it comes to getting them done :ROFLMAO:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
These are common as muck. Mine had gone when I got the car. I replaced it with a scrap yard one. Every time I go to the scrappy and see a clip I grab them as they go all the time and mine has gone again but I have 3 in the shed. If you have that luxury then just grab them and stock up as I can assure you they will go again.
I must have been just bloody lucky with mine then! :LOL:

The one that went last September was the OEM part - and now its replacement has followed suit. No worries - I'll get another ordered.

The biggest issue I have with it is getting that tail-gate plastic cover to line back up with the clips!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Nabbed one off eBay and fitted it - all good again.

As mentioned above - those bloody boot liner clips took the longest time of the whole job to line up. I’ve still got one that hasn’t clicked into place - b*****d thing!:rolleyes: