ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bored of my 182...

Elise 111R
Well yes.... as you may of thought when clicking on this thread im offically bored of my 182, thought it would keep my interest a bit more after the Cooper S but tbh i think i needed some thing with a bit more power and style.

The solution an Alfa 147 GTA! What is your thoughts on the change will i regreat the decsion? I think they look brillaint, better lowered and with a tubi exhaust they sound mint BUT will the 25 mpg annoy me? Will it break down every 5 mins? Will i oversteer into the nearest hedge (actually i test drove one so no, but i was so taken back by the sheer power i really didnt give it atough time on the handling stakes)

Im hopefully securing a grad job in the next week so i'll go from poor student to being slightly better off so could afford the change just dont want to change and think i could of got something different like a older tvr.

Anyway suggestions would be welcome

Clio 172
If you dont mind shocking depreciation and running costs go for it, they look amazing, and they say your not a true petrol head to you have owned an alfa

Elise 111R
well thats the thing I know someone who can help me with a deal so i could find a mint 05 low miles at just under 15k..... :D

But as you suggest i wouldnt want to be the owner from new they must be very sore after just 2 years of ownership

Clio 172
Well i dont know about you but 15k is still a lot to lose (well it is to me) as a couple of years down the line it will be a fraction of that

Elise 111R
yep very true... tbh thats what i've got to look at, what are older cars going for.... also this is very different to a 182 as its far more niche than the 182.

Talking to my dad he laughs when i said i lost X amount on my S and potentailly on the 182 as his kinda deprication on cars is far higher but thats something you have to accept if you want to be different i suppose. Just got to figure out if i can afford that cost.

Elise 111R
LOL yer would love to but......

Trade in i've been offered 8200 is that good? I think its brillaint but would i get more if i did everything private before going to buy the 147

clio 182 turbo
if you are truly bored of your 182, which by by the way i find hard to believe, get yourself a turbo conversion! you'll be smokin' pretty much everybody.

clio 182 turbo
what do you want to know mate?

these are the things people usually want know-
310bhp
0-60 4.4secs(approx)
top end ??? got to 145mph then the missus went mad!

Elise 111R
I dont think its im bored with the 182 totally but that i need something Italian and a bit more stylish which lets be honest the clio isnt....

Jesske, how was those 2 years? fun fillled or just filled with alot of trips to the petrol station?

I think if i dont go for a alfa i may wait 6 months and go TVR, but tbh i have fallen in love with the looks and sound of the GTA

RS4 480hp,STI 420hp,ELISE
2 years of fun. Great sound! Great performance! But also lots and lots of wheelspin in first, second and third gear on the frontwheels. The car is at it's best above 4000 rpm. Because of the heavy engine, I experienced the car was understeered a lot. It really wants to go to the outside of the turn.
Needs lots of petrol!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
PMSL @ this thread.

You wont be bored with a 147 GTA.
But you might not be alive in 6 months.

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
The 147GTA is a really, really nice looking car Tom. Good to hear that you're well aware of the 'potential' money pit that is the Alfa!

I think they look superb - and not a common sight on the roads either. I'd certainly have one - so long as I could afford the petrol!

D.

RenaultSport clio 182 mk2
Consider a VX220 Turbo.. seriously quick..already lost its depreciation value as 2nd hand

Elise 111R
LOL yep thats what im hoping

Cheers Jess for that, did you find you could be sensible with it just like the clio and obtain half decent mpg. I test drove one today and did a motorway run and a B road, motorway i got 35 mpg constant at 70 and i got 5 - 15 mpg on the B roads LOL.......

For the straight job, I prefer the Alfa. But you have to keep it in high revs, just as the Clio!

About those mpg, I don't understand that :) In Belgium it's totaly different. Consumption of my 182 is between 9.5 and 10.5 liters/100km. The Alfa doubled that! My wifes 147 JTD 120hp had a consumtion of 14 liters/100km !! So how higher the liters, how more the consumption. Think that's the opposite from the mpg?
And you won't know the consumption of her Spider.

But the 182 handles better imo. As I told, the Alfa is understeered alot.

Wouldn't buy it if you fly around corners.

cup 182 mit stripes
But, Jesske, your 182 suspension is knackered and brakes must be seized on to get such crap consumption.

Crap consumption? Explain please
Most 172 and 182's have the same consumption in my environment

Clio 182
I'm also seriously considering swapping my 182 for a 147 gta - there was a really good article in evo about buying used 156 and 147 gta's. From memory, there was a mention of aftermarket exhausts sometimes causing a few issues (can't remember what exactly, but it risks other items being damaged, I'll dig it out and find out)
It also made very clear that you absolutely have to buy one with a complete service history with no gaps, as they drink oil and if the oil hasn't been changed regularly there can be big issues with bottom end bearings going

Elise 111R
ah good stuff cheers for the info, the guy who would source me the car works at alfa so pretty sure i wont get a duffer but i'll look out for that evo article

cheers

Elise 111R
oh just to add talking to him there's only 4 in the south at dealerships and he has 3 of them :D

But your up Leeds so should be others up your way anyway

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Well, they say you're not a true petrol head until you've owned an alfa.
Guess you'll be having to spend some time getting acquainted with the hard shoulder :rasp: