ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Boxing Day GTi

106 GTi
Managed to resist a beer at lunch and go out for a mid afternoon run in the 106. Nice run out, with some nice blue skies and quiet roads. Half a tank of VPower later it was home time !

A few snaps from the afternoon.

IMG_3108.jpg

IMG_3146.jpg

IMG_3138.jpg

IMG_3145.jpg

IMG_3149.jpg

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3163.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg

A few more here for anyone intrested - http://www.richtreen.co.uk/images/xmas_gti/

106 GTi
Drives well Iain, made decent power on the rollers a few weeks, back skirms around a bit under heavy braking but hoping that will be improved once it is lowered and is running some better rubber.

106 GTi
Drives well Iain, made decent power on the rollers a few weeks, back skirms around a bit under heavy braking but hoping that will be improved once it is lowered and is running some better rubber.

2000 - W Plate, 66K.

Will have to let me have a run it in at some point Baron. I'm yet to drive a 106gti properly. Last time was about 8 years ago moving a mates 500 yards up the road, lol.

PH1 iceburg
Really nice example mate. I was considering one of these before the clio but struggled to find a low mileage minter

106 GTi
Cheers all

Will have to let me have a run it in at some point Baron. I'm yet to drive a 106gti properly. Last time was about 8 years ago moving a mates 500 yards up the road, lol.

lol - no probs. Shall I let valvebouncer have a drive ?

B

Brown.

Looks better dirrrrty :O......tell ya what there are some classic rich shots there... tis what we photographers refer to as 'The Golden hour' when the sun sits low in the sky casting golden rays.....was that photoshoot planned or you just lucky?

106 GTi
Went out at 2ish with camera in the boot not knowing where I would end up, as the petrol light came on a I turned back home and got lucky with the light.

106 GTi
Only plus point the Clios have is more power out the box and more grip, 106 is more nimble and fun though.

Only plus point the Clios have is more power out the box and more grip, 106 is more nimble and fun though.
My mates old gti handled so well as standard (it was quite new when he got it) no clio i've ever been in or driven was as good as that.

106 GTi
My mates old gti handled so well as standard (it was quite new when he got it) no clio i've ever been in or driven was as good as that.

The 182 has bags more grip, but it will do 205 profile runner compared to 185 on the GTi. 106 turns so much better, feels more alive and so small and nimble - chuck it through some tight and twisty turns and it makes a Clio feel huge and cumbersome. Grip levels don't mean a car handles better though.

Overall I have mixed feelings - Mixed feelings. 106 is good to drive, but I am missing the extra go the 182 had. Plus sides it feels much more nimble though, not overly keen on the light steering and the rear end seems to be moving around alot under hard braking on crappy B road surfaces - not sure how much of this is down to the Avon's on it, in comparison to the 182 which felt alot more composed on the crappy B's round here.

Going to see how it feels with the 15's on it in the summer before I worry to much.

Todays drive started off with me loving it for the first 30 miles, then the final few before the fuel light came on and I called it a day, left me craving more power. Either way I have not got much money tied up in a bit of metal, plastic and rubber which is the reason the Clio went.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Having not driven one i would "Imagine" it's similar to the Willy...
Lively!! - Quickest way to your coffin in 09!

Rich - Imo it's the tyres, I ran avons on my valver years ago, awful things tbh. God knows what my mate had on his gti, it really was ace though.

I assume yours is 100% standard ?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Rich - Imo it's the tyres, I ran avons on my valver years ago, awful things tbh. God knows what my mate had on his gti, it really was ace though.

I assume yours is 100% standard ?

Depends on the avon's! Avon make bloody good tyres imo! ZV3's are a bit dicey tho.