ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake caliper rewind tool adaptors

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Thinking about changing the front pads on my 172, will just a normal g clamp do to push the pistons back?

I've seen plenty of kits that need tool adaptors, such as in this kit here:

http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=518&item=3317

At what stage of pushing the piston back is the tool adaptor used (even if not needed for 172's)?

Thanks again.

ITB'd 172 POPTART
Side of a screwdriver willdo the job turn it in an anti clockwise direction.

Undo the lid to the brake fluid too

Clio 172 cup
Just use a clamp. You would only need a wind-back tool for the rears, although you could quite easily just use a screwdriver.

Dont know about the sports by my 1.2 had no slot for a screw driver, Had to hunt for ages (ill prepared) for a large G-Clamp and used the old pad as a chock. Worked well.

G-clamp's fine for the fronts and you don't need anything special for the rears on these

some other cars have awkward patterns in the face of the rear pistons and you need a windback tool to twist and push. problem with a lot of the simple windback tools is that they only come with the one head - hence the need for expensive sets like the one in your link, which cover lots of applications. i've also got one of these (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001K9V0E/?tag=cliospnet01-21), which is just a simple 'might do' jobbie

Use a screw driver between the pad and disc. Force it in and wiggle so the pads are loose from the disc. Undo slider bolts and take the pads out, take off carriers and discs. Clean up carriers, copper slip everything and put it back together. If the calipers arent seized and youve got biceps you can push/squeeze them back in by hand...

Black 197
Use a screw driver between the pad and disc. Force it in and wiggle so the pads are loose from the disc. Undo slider bolts and take the pads out, take off carriers and discs. Clean up carriers, copper slip everything and put it back together. If the calipers arent seized and youve got biceps you can push/squeeze them back in by hand...

This

Screw driver through the caliper on the pad and pull outwards, The oldpad will force the piston in, Undo the brake fluid resovoir though.. Rears same as fronts but wind the piston in.. Simple job mate

Golf GTD Mk7
remove the caliper and press your weight on the piston, fluid will shoot out (put it on wood so you don't damage caliper)

easiest way is just to keep an eye on the fluid level and use something like a syringe (chemists) to draw the fluid off if the level's in danger of leaving the res

If your planning on bleeding them undo the brake bleed nipple when you prise the pads apart. will make life easier