ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake Caliper Seized?

My N/S front brake seems to be very much stuck on, so much so that when I change gear the car actually slows down and I can also come to a stop without touching anything.

I had it all apart earlier, the pin things with the rubbers on move freely and as they should so it can't be those.

What could it be? New caliper time or something else?

I'm not clued up on brakes as you may be able to tell!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
i would say piston seized to.

take the caliper of and work it back in, then pump the brakes again. might be able to free it back up.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
depends on how bad, some need changing - ie new caliper or yours refurbed

then the odd few can be worked back in and out to free them up again, depending on if the piston leaks through its seals or not

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Try what Raz said, work it in and out with some wd40 and see it that sorts it.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Good point! I've only ever wound mine in when changing pads then pushed it back out with the pads/caliper back in place.

What do I do then?

The pads have a small crack down the middle, presumably from being stuck on. I'll be getting new ones but I don't want to fit them and the same thing happens because of the caliper!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Get someone to help you ( watching how far the piston comes out ) , take the wheel and brake disc off . Push the brake pedal very gently so the piston almost pops right out , grease it then push it back in . If it does pop out it's a bugger to get back in lol . I had a caliper a bit like this on my 172 and failed it's MOT . It passed after i greased it and never caused a problem again ;) If your brake caliper is fcuked , then you've nothing to lose giving it a try eh !

Think I found the problem!

8544017829_9588e8066c_b.jpg

What do you guys reckon, new caliper? Refurb?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
have you had that on fire on a track day? Easy option is a new/refurbed caliper. That one is pretty shot by the looks of it

It's lived on a track for 90% of it's entire life! Can it be refurbed then or is that a silly question and new caliper time?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
for the time and cost, I would replace. Anything can be repaired usually, but that doesn't look worth it

Haha thought so. Cheers all :approve:

It's caused this to happen to the pads too:

8544019505_a2dc5cf1a4_b.jpg

How urgently do they need replacing?

Black Sheep
I would get those pads done asap. For the caliper get one of renparts. When my rear one went instead of messing around I replaced it for £30. Don't know what a front would be,

Black Sheep
I had total brake failure when my pads fell out and the fluid pissed out the piston. I was very lucky I never had a big crash. Don't take the chance mate.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I wouldn't use Renparts either, even if Renault doubled in price and i had to suck off a tramp to wait four weeks for an oil filter.

Black Sheep
I wouldn't use Renparts either, even if Renault doubled in price and i had to suck off a tramp to wait four weeks for an oil filter.

Ha Ha, I only dealt with them this once and was chuffed I fixed my car for £30 lol

Black Sheep
He's got braided brake hoses, so not sure that'd be the best idea lol. It's really easy to change the brake fluid anyways.

Yeah wouldn't be good then. It's not the best on the standard hoses either cause it squashes them a bit. When You are in a hurry bleeding brakes isn't always the best thing.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
8 years bump!
I had the front calipers rebuilt with new pistons and seals, guide pins etc a year ago. Now the front left one is sticking. Pads are move freely in there so they re not stuck.
What else can cause a caliper to freeze? I heard that the brake lines can clog up or the abs pump can be at fault and keep fluid pressure on a certain caliper.
What to do? :(

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Bought a new front caliper along with flexi rubber hoses, will do a thorough re-bleed also.
Anything else that could cause a sticky caliper? wouldn't wanna ruin the new brembo max and Ds performance pads that I fitted..

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Not much help but I had a similar issue with a front caliper, kept sticking, even after rebuilding it, cleaning, grease, file pad corners down and bleeding multiple times.

In the end I replaced it, simply bolted everything up, bled and it was sorted.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
Remember to check the piston coating, big red ones have a coating on them that fails very quickly at the outer part where the dust seal sits causing them to stick....Renault ones don't have this coating and will do 100k with ease, that's from my experience