ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake discs- corrosion

Clio Trophy
How often are you forced into changing yours due to corrosion?

The Trophy is a second car but still gets used a few times a week. Regardless, I find the rear discs especially always end up corroding quite badly.

Fronts at the minute are apparently a bit corroded on the inside too, plenty of life left in the pads. The 'bite' to the pedal isn't really there now when braking hard, even after a good few stops from speed.

Obviously the heavy front brake bias won't help matters with the rears but has anyone had any joy in staving this off by making sure the car doesn't go too long between a few hard stops, say 60-20mph repeated a few times?

Seems like mine are now past the point of no return and will need replaced.

Are they oem discs/pads? My rears had cheap discs and pads and were useless, I fitted just some oem pads and that cleared alot of the rusty layer out in the first outing, bite better as well. 12 quid off euro car parts when sale (when isnt there)

I got some HC brembo UV coated front discs and they were so clean, looked brand new when I took them off. I now use HC 300mm fronts because of 4 pots and they are still very clean

Clio Trophy
Not sure what the front were as the garage supplied them at the time, probably pagid or brembo from ECP.

Rears are Renault though.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Give the calipers a service... maybe they're not as free as they should be.

Never replaced discs due to rust.. it's a bare surface of metal every time you brake (in theory)... they get surface rust after a rain shower.

Old Scoob sat for 3+ months.. clutch had rusted itself engaged... brakes were awful, but a few miles of driving and braking and they're back to life.

Well the pagids are cheaper so maybe they went for them, I had all cheap ones put on back when I didn’t diy, they were awful, got brake fade within a second of braking from 120, scary. Not sure on rears but for fronts the uv Coated Brembos will definitely stay clean

Clio Trophy
Give the calipers a service... maybe they're not as free as they should be.

Never replaced discs due to rust.. it's a bare surface of metal every time you brake (in theory)... they get surface rust after a rain shower.

Old Scoob sat for 3+ months.. clutch had rusted itself engaged... brakes were awful, but a few miles of driving and braking and they're back to life.
The rear calipers have just been replaced and I refurbished a set for the front last year.

Discs were last changed a good while before that though so hopefully chucking new ones on with the good calipers will help stop excessive corrosion.

Clio Trophy
Well the pagids are cheaper so maybe they went for them, I had all cheap ones put on back when I didn’t diy, they were awful, got brake fade within a second of braking from 120, scary. Not sure on rears but for fronts the uv Coated Brembos will definitely stay clean
Are the Brembo discs ECP list likely to be these?

My rears where always corroded and didn't seem to clear even when on track. I then rebuilt them using the biggred kit and they clear up fine now. Another way to clean them up is by pulling the abs fuse reverting the system to 50/50 bias but if the callipers are not working effectively then it wont help much anyway.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
The rear calipers don’t do much work so it’s inevitable they’ll show surface rust. You don’t need to replace discs because of surface rust..

Clio Trophy
'Surface' rust is one thing but not all corrosion is equal. If it was just that it'd soon clean up with a few emergency stops from 60mph.

How often are you forced into changing yours due to corrosion?

The Trophy is a second car but still gets used a few times a week. Regardless, I find the rear discs especially always end up corroding quite badly.

Fronts at the minute are apparently a bit corroded on the inside too, plenty of life left in the pads. The 'bite' to the pedal isn't really there now when braking hard, even after a good few stops from speed.

Obviously the heavy front brake bias won't help matters with the rears but has anyone had any joy in staving this off by making sure the car doesn't go too long between a few hard stops, say 60-20mph repeated a few times?

Seems like mine are now past the point of no return and will need replaced.
Driving around with the handbrake on will clear the corrosion off no problem, think of it as a DIY disk skim.