ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake Dust Removal

Williams 2
Hi, I had my willy wheels re-furbed a while ago and I originally used 1 x coat of EGP and 1x coat of Swissvax Autobahn Wheel Wax before I put them of the car. I tend to wash them once a week maybe once every 2 weeks, but I took them off this weekend to re-apply the wax etc and still found it substantully difficult to remove the brake dust. I used SRP and also the Intensive Tar Remover but it was still hard work. Also used some Collinite Super Double Coat Auto Wax No. 476s this time after the other 2 products listed above. I know someone will say that I should have waxed them more often, but what would people recommend to remove very stubborn brake dust that won't strip the laquer and shine of the wheels? Bit gutted there pitted now.:dapprove:

106 GTi
I would try some Clay, Meguiars All Purpose cleaner or Autoglym Engine and Machine cleaner on the stubborn areas before you think about anything acid based.

Williams 2
I would try some Clay, Meguiars All Purpose cleaner or Autoglym Engine and Machine cleaner on the stubborn areas before you think about anything acid based.

Thanks Rich. In the long run I've been looking at Bilberry Safe Wheel Cleaner and P21S Wheel Cleaner. :)

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Fairy power spray for me as well . I use it alot on mine .
I swear by the stuff. I even introduced my mother to the concept of using it on her oven, silly bint.

I heard a rumour that excessive use of acidic cleaners, Wonder Wheels and so forth and possibly FPS can actually cause your wheels to go porous?!

106 GTi
If the Laquer is actually pitted nothing bar a wet sand and polish will sort it.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
If your lacquer is " pitted " as you call it , then no cleaner will remove that as the lacquer is physically damaged . You sure it's pitted and not particles of brake dust bonded to the wheel ?

Williams 2
If your lacquer is " pitted " as you call it , then no cleaner will remove that as the lacquer is physically damaged . You sure it's pitted and not particles of brake dust bonded to the wheel ?

I think your right there mate...it could be just where the particles were so hot the've bonded themselves to the Laquer. I really regret buying some DS2500 Race pads now...there s**t hot when there up to temp...but they give off soooo musch dust it's unreal....I cleaned and sealed my wheels on Sun and by Mon night they were caked in the stuff again!:( Just praying there not pitted then.....:banghead: I'm gonna switch back to OE pads I think and thta should help.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
You could try a clay bar . Or failing that wet sand ( 1500 grit ) and polish as rich says . My wheels have been srp'd , egp'd , waxed and the dust still sticks . If you drive your car enough , no matter what protection you give the wheels brake dust is hot and will stick to the wheels , they just aid the removal of the dust but won't offer a physical barrier imo .

Ebc greenstuff pads throw off very little . I've not used them on the Clio but i always used them on my Pug and was very impressed .

Williams 2
K...cheers for help lads. Definately think going back to OE Pads will help. Here the wheels anyway....after they were re-furbed...
DSCN0957.jpg

Williams 2
are the painted or powedercoated???

Power primed for durabilty, then I supplied the correct Akzo Nobel paint which I had mixed especially to meet the original colour match. The original wheels where electrostatically painted, so it's very thin and chips/corrodes easily. The process I had done should see them good for a few year!:cool: