ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake pad hardware/shims yes or no?

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Hi there,
I know that removing the shims is a popular habbit around here, I also had them removed, we all know the reasons why.
But just watched a 30+ min vid on a mechanic's youtube channel in which he insisted that the shims if installed properly on nice an clean carriers, with grease used on all contact points is a very good habbit for preventing seized pads and other related issues.
So, where's the truth actually? everything he said seems legit
Here's the vid:

What are the chanches that a small amount of grease used for prevention could end up on the pads and discs though?
The GF had the pads changed on her Auris couple of months ago and the old ones were worn out un-evenly quite bad, so maybe the habbit of using the shims and the grease is not that bad after all?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I've always left my shims in place , made sure everything was clean when fitting new pads and fitted new shims . I've always had to file away the corners of the backing plate to make the pads move freely . I do put grease on the backing plate as its supposed to help with brake squeal , but I'd be wary of putting grease anywhere near the friction material .

PH2 172
Hi there,
I know that removing the shims is a popular habbit around here, I also had them removed, we all know the reasons why.
But just watched a 30+ min vid on a mechanic's youtube channel in which he insisted that the shims if installed properly on nice an clean carriers, with grease used on all contact points is a very good habbit for preventing seized pads and other related issues.
So, where's the truth actually? everything he said seems legit
Here's the vid:

What are the chanches that a small amount of grease used for prevention could end up on the pads and discs though?
The GF had the pads changed on her Auris couple of months ago and the old ones were worn out un-evenly quite bad, so maybe the habbit of using the shims and the grease is not that bad after all?

The problem is the shims are not available, as they are only supplied with OE pads.
Only use copper grease though.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Ime, no.

When we changed my rear discs and pads, we cleaned the s**t out of the mating faces, shims and filed a fair bit off the pads to have them move freely.

Greased everything up and refitted it, ensuring everything still moved freely.

Leave the handbrake on once overnight, brakes bind on and forever more I get that familiar binding sound for a bit before they bounce off the disc.

That could just be the s**t mk3s though with the annual brake service required to stop them being utterly s**t