ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake wear on 182

Evenin all

Just been driving my car after three weeks away and unfortunately the brakes seem pretty darn average now, the pedal has lost that sharp feel it had previously and there is a real lack of bite when braking now, noticable at all speeds, not just when really needing them. The car has just under 10000 of pretty sensible driving. its booked in at Renault on Wed to have a wee look but just thought Id ask you lads as to whether there is a common time as to when the brakes do start to losr there sharpness.

thank you muchly

Not that Ive noticed, just like I said that the pedal feels a lot softer, its lost that brush it with your foot and you go through the windscreen effect! Did a few practice stops from 40mph last night and the results certainly werent confidence inspring! The Land Rovers works feel like they have more stopping power at the moment which isnt good..

Mercedes SLK350

Mine felt the same, I had done less than 1000 miles though. So I fitted my EBC Turbo Groove discs. This totally transformed the braking. Got to swap them back soon ready for the new 182 on 2nd March.

I keep thinking that at about 60 % of travel the brakes start to feel very wooden - theres no progression in the braking effect beyond this, and they dont seem great at stopping.

MINI JCW

my brakes are really sharp, my mum has a corsa 1.0l and after driving the 182 the corsa doesnt feel like its brakes work at all

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

my 172 on 12000 miles feels the same im thinking of changing to brembos as the stopping power is poor

Clio 182, Audi A3

Pads harden up with use and need more heat to get them working. All 3 172s I test drove had poor brakes until youd got lots of heat in them. Try other pads, Green stuff, Red stuff, Pageds or something.

Shhh

Just drive down the road, stop, then pump the brake pedal till it goes hard.

After this, i found them not too be so bad..

Alias

mine are still well sharp, after 7000, much better than the new mini and i drove my mates fiesta zetec s and the brakes are crap on them, ave to push really hard.

Ive got simaler problems. 182 has done 12,000 miles in 7 months and at the service they told me that the discs and pads were knackered, and would fail an mot (of it needed one that is)

Pitting and corrosion on the discs has pretty much screwed the braking performance.

On the underside of the car are brackets to palce something in to stop crap getting on the discs. Problem is the 182 brakes would get too hot if the protection was in place, so it isnt. I had it serviced by bosche/mercedes mechanics who exceeded the REnault services standars in everything but price.

Renault dealer said it wasnt covered by warranty but a call to renault customers services, and a friend of a friend who trains mechanics for Renault, said that it most likely will be covered. Also, it seemee to slip out that it is a known/developing problem on the 182.

Finally, the service desk at Parks renault in Ayr were less than helpful. Lets hope they do what thye are told when it goes in to get fixed. Other goodies that need sorting....rear bushes are moving. Nice!