ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

brakes are becoming useless

Audi A3
hey all

rescently ive been having trouble with my brakes not having much feel to them and some slight spongyness to them, so ive had them bled and the pads are stil fine, but for the last few days its felt like they are useless at stopping the car foot has to go down hard and far to get a reaction

any ideas what it might be?

Clio 2002 1.2 16V
hey all
rescently ive been having trouble with my brakes not having much feel to them and some slight spongyness to them, so ive had them bled and the pads are stil fine, but for the last few days its felt like they are useless at stopping the car foot has to go down hard and far to get a reaction

any ideas what it might be?

I have exactly the feeling you described! Mine is a used clio 1.2 16V 2002 model and when I recently changed my tires I noticed that my brake disks are very worn. Probably my pads too!

Audi A3
checked discs and pads still got a bit to go on both not worn out or anything yet think its the cold as they've behaved abit better when it hasnt been as cold in the afternoons as in the mornins...

Golf GTD Mk7
i'm having similar problems with mine. Even when heat is in them. Is it normal to be able to push the brake pedal right to the floor? There is still plenty on the pads/discs

C

Cupster

Get someone, or yourself to check the caliper sliders aren't seized. This is exactly what I had. There are two on each front brake assembly and one had seized up on the drivers side. Make that your first check tbh.

I could not free mine so I bought a second hand caliper carrier and re greased both aswell as the passenger side and the brakes are peachy again now :approve:

172cup
how many miles have your discs and pads been on for? Std reno discs are pretty poor and warp/glaze pretty easily.

If not, check calipers aren't siezed/siezing/boot isn't split

Golf GTD Mk7
didn't think it was normal. its not all the time which suggests something isn't right. Boot? I've been getting wierd noises from my brakes also. pads and discs still have stuff on them.

172cup
Undo brake fluid reservoir, take caliper off, inspect. Push dush covers back carefully, inspect to see if piston is rusty. If it looks ok, try pushing the piston back with the palm of your hand. It should be possible to move it back with a strong hand.

If its rock solid, its probably seized. TBH if you've not bled your brakes... do it, sounds like an airlock by being able to put the pedal to the floor every now and then

Golf GTD Mk7
brakes were recently pressure bled at GDI which didn't make any difference. Will have an inspect of the calipers

TrackCar & F30 330d
Arrrr i'v just seen this thread. Just what i was looking for.
Nearly went into the back of someone today due to a slight lack of concentration and the fact that my brakes were shocking. Changed a caliper carrier as my had sezed a few months back, also put some Brembo Max and EBC Pads.
Must just be the super cold weather thats making them this bad.
Im off to milton keynes tomorrow so hopefully try get some heat into them :)