ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brand New Dell laptop and connection issues to BT homehub

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
got a brand new dell inspiron laptop yesterday, it will not stay connected to my homehub 5.

every 2-3mins I lose connections, its taking me about 10mins to write this post.

im about 2 metres away from the homehub but only have like 2 bars of signal and it wont keep them

is this a normal issue?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
resorted to using my phone now as its pretty much unusable

kk will try tomorrow

Nissan 350z
How are you connecting to the Homehub? Are you using the Windows wireless software or has Dell pre-loaded some kind of Wireless software on? I've seen similiar issues with Lenovo laptops defaulting to the pre-loaded Lenovo Wireless Hotspot software.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I sometimes have connectivity issues with my Dell vostro and home hub 3.
Im guessing it's a HH issue though as I had similar problems with my old Acer laptop.

The PS4, Phone, tablet etc all stay connected with no issues though.

Is it only your new Dell thing that's having the problem?
If you're next to the hub you should have full signal as the router is effectively roaring at your laptop.
What happens when you Ethernet in?
Have you got any other devices in the house nearby like video senders?
Get a simple WiFi analyser on your phone (this is a good one) and see what channel all your neighbours are on. If the router is in default mode then it may have dropped itself on channel 6 or something everyone else is on. Ideally you want your network on either channel 1, 6 or 11 (3 non-overlapping channels) - might be worth cabling to your router to have a look into that.
If there is an option to disable automatic channel-changing, do that.
Can you get firmware updates for these things? (I don't use a BT hub or support them at work)

I've heard a few things about the 5GHz option playing havoc with wireless connections on a few set ups so you could either try turning that option off altogether, or see if the Homehub will let you make a new SSID for the 5GHz band and then connect to each one to see which one works best. :smile:

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
seems to be working ok today, but last night wasn't working at all.

sadly the laptop arrived broken from dell so they are collecting it Tuesday and im getting a another one

very annoying

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I know the laptop is going back but its doing it again now!!

been working fine today but wont keep a single right now for more than 1min