ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brands Hatch Trackday - Trying to keep up with an E92 M3!

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
Just a fun clip from a recent track day, M3 just has too much power over the clio, it was able to get infront of traffic which i couldn't. We are both on cut slicks :)

[youtube]FpbTPtbMBr8[/youtube]

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
Cheers guys! Track was soaked until 12ish, videos have come out slow and boring (apart from the oversteer!) because of it :p Ran outta space on the phone when it finally started to dry out so didn't get much footage. Track still had some extremely slippery parts, despite looking fairly dry in the video! Four crashes throughout the day & 2 cars written off, thankfully none involving me! :p

Spec of the car is fairly standard! Ktec coilies, straight through exhaust, camber bolts, green filter, stripped out with buckets & harnesses, 595RSR tyres and most importantly, geo set up! Just ordered myself the puremotorsport solid top mounts and strut brace which is being fitted tomorrow ready for silverstone next sunday!

172 Race Car
too many gear changes there chap. try staying in 4th for paddock and 3rd for Graham Hill. makes it a lot more stable and easier to get power down. less changes can be quicker.

great vid, love brands

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
too many gear changes there chap. try staying in 4th for paddock and 3rd for Graham Hill. makes it a lot more stable and easier to get power down. less changes can be quicker.

great vid, love brands

I noticed this nearing the end of the day, although in the wet morning sessions, i found 4th for paddock was kicking the back out quite a bit. Was also using 2nd at graham hill purely to help slow me down while chasing the m3! :p I found throughout the day you can go through surtees/mclaren flat out in 3rd without lifting off on entry, s**t scary but possible haha. Certainly going back to brands, the most fun track i've been on so far!

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
Good Video Mate, car sounds awesome as well. How many track days you done?

Three so far, bedford, snetterton 300, brands hatch, and silverstone booked for the 19th, really looking forward to that!

Not bad at all, had much instruction?

None yet, i know it will improve my driving, but the £30/40 always gets spent on petrol instead! :p I have a tendency to turn in quite hot/early which really slows me down, i need to learn smooth is better! I've found so far i often learn a track 30minutes before the day is over also. :(

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
Was this a 2009 M3 with 888 and stoptech brakes? I was following a similar one in dec but had the same problem as you. 4pot vs V8 isn't the fairest battle. lol

I noticed this nearing the end of the day, although in the wet morning sessions, i found 4th for paddock was kicking the back out quite a bit. Was also using 2nd at graham hill purely to help slow me down while chasing the m3! :p I found throughout the day you can go through surtees/mclaren flat out in 3rd without lifting off on entry, s**t scary but possible haha. Certainly going back to brands, the most fun track i've been on so far!

Doing what Jay says would definately help with the smoothness. In the 200 I'm in fourth gear without lifting at Surtees but I do like the curb on both sides.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Nice, I love Brands...but being used to Goodwood I find Brands far too congested.

As Jay says, fewer gearchanges would help with the smoothness in and out, and as with everything you do on track, the less you do, the less chance you have of making a mistake.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Nice video looks like you were going well :)I only change gear twice on a lap of Brands Indy, up to 4th on the pit straight then down into 3rd for Druids.

Alfa 75 Rally Car
Cool video.

A few friends of mine are always doing Brands in there Peugeot stock hatch cars, tracks aren't my thing after getting involved in rallying. Not saying I am a great circuit driver, far from it I like to slide about to much!!

Best thing here you are chasing and doing very well against a V8 M3 in a car that probably didnt cost the same as the last 2 rear tyres and major service on the M3!

172 Race Car
I have a tendency to turn in quite hot/early which really slows me down,
Its the same with everyone mate (early turn in), racing lines dont feel natural at first, if you been driving on the road for years. some corners need such a late turn in it takes a while to get your head around it. Once that 'clicks' you'll be flying. I bet after 30mins of tuition you'd have it sussed

Nice video looks like you were going well :)I only change gear twice on a lap of Brands Indy, up to 4th on the pit straight then down into 3rd for Druids.
Same as us.

172 Cup
Enjoyed that vid mate, the little clio seemed to hold its own very well out there! The car also sounds nice too.

Lolz at the blue fiesta with blue tints haha.

Its the same with everyone mate (early turn in), racing lines dont feel natural at first, if you been driving on the road for years. some corners need such a late turn in it takes a while to get your head around it. Once that 'clicks' you'll be flying. I bet after 30mins of tuition you'd have it sussed

Same as us.

The whole lap is in third then ...?

Nice driving\vid...going myself on the 12th March if the Cup is all sorted by then.

Mini Cooper S
In my little 100BHP Clio, I was in third round the whole track apart from the straight where I popped it into 4th.

172 Race Car
The whole lap is in third then ...?
up to 4th just past pits entrance (paddock in 4th) and then down to 3rd for druids, rest of lap is 3rd yes

Not the best example as its the start so busy with traffic

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the correct line for Druids? One the Novice day the turn in cone was almost half way round the outside of the corner (nearside)!? Instinct is to turn in and cut across the apex but the line they were taking almost brings you back down on the corner and straight down the hill? Just seems totally different to any races I have seen there. I got into 5th on the main straight, into 3rd for druids and juuuuust running out of revs for Graham Hill Bend so almost wanted to go into 4th?! Doing something wrong? Sorry for thread hijack.

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
I felt i didn't have the torque to pull out of druids in 3rd, i did use 3rd for graham hill apart from the m3 chase in the video! Looking forward to going back to brands in the dry, now i know the track. Would be nice to get under 1min lap time :)

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
What is the correct line for Druids? One the Novice day the turn in cone was almost half way round the outside of the corner (nearside)!? Instinct is to turn in and cut across the apex but the line they were taking almost brings you back down on the corner and straight down the hill? Just seems totally different to any races I have seen there. I got into 5th on the main straight, into 3rd for druids and juuuuust running out of revs for Graham Hill Bend so almost wanted to go into 4th?! Doing something wrong? Sorry for thread hijack.

I noticed most of the, what seemed like experienced drivers, where cutting the apex. I think this favours light FWD cars because the turn in is easier, using that line in a heavy rwd car will probably snap the back end out. Theres a similar corner at bedford GT just before the straight. You want to cut the apex but you're suppose to go right out and come back in, just feels wrong though!

172 Race Car
lines used during races will differ based on whats around at the time. for druids i prefer the late turn in and aim for an apex 3/4 way round when running alone

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

The 'traditional' line would be to take the geometric apex i.e. the absolute middle of the inner kerb in a constant radius corner, this gives the widest and smoothest turn.

This isn't always the fastest though, as by going deeper into the turn and taking a much later apex, although you're tightening the actual turn, you can get on the power earlier technically giving you greater speed down the next straight.

If the next straight is long enough, what you lose from the slower and tighter turn, you more than offset with your greater speed down the straight to the next turn.

Druids I think does warrant a later apex, but racing is completely different as taking a late apex will often have someone stuffing themselves up the inside of you.

172 Race Car
I noticed most of the, what seemed like experienced drivers, where cutting the apex. I think this favours light FWD cars because the turn in is easier, using that line in a heavy rwd car will probably snap the back end out. Theres a similar corner at bedford GT just before the straight. You want to cut the apex but you're suppose to go right out and come back in, just feels wrong though!
i know the corner you mean at bedford,yes its better to go right up to thecone on outside ofthe circuit. feels wrong but you then effectively lengthen the next straight. fwd stuff prefers to be straight to get best traction. apex speed is higher then too. give it a try, rockets out of that hairpin with less wheel spin as your not turning so much

3rd for druids is ideal, like u say feels like u dont have enough torque
but itsdown hill so will pick up well enough. can just floor it in 3rd due to less revs. also saves a gear change and the momentary loss of acceleration that gives