ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Broken ABS - Braking, Help! BenR

Having driven another clio today with a 4pot hi-spec brake conversion - i finally realised just how crap my brakes are. (clearly this would naturally be the case coming out of a car with a decent brake setup - however something isnt right)

Im currently running a set of Tarox G88s up front (same size as OEM) with a set of DS2000 pads & Goodridge braided hoses. When i fitted them last year i can honestly say i didnt notice any *real* braking performance increase.

However - when i bought my 16v i noticed shortly after i was missing an ABS sesnor. Reno told me this would have disabled my ABS system as a break in the system sends an auto cut out the ABS brain. The previous owner has sneakly removed the ABS bulb from the dash so i didnt notice it until shortly after.

My question is - by having the ABS system disabled the way it is, would this have any effects to my current braking abilites? Other the the obvious of the ABS not working? I cant help but think theres something not right about my brake setup!

i never bothered to replace the ABS senor when i found out it was missing cuz im not really bothered about being aided if i lock up, as i know how to sort myself out if i start to lockup....

Anyone?

Having driven another clio today with a 4pot hi-spec brake conversion - i finally realised just how crap my brakes are. (clearly this would naturally be the case coming out of a car with a decent brake setup - however something isnt right)

Im currently running a set of Tarox G88s up front (same size as OEM) with a set of DS2000 pads & Goodridge braided hoses. When i fitted them last year i can honestly say i didnt notice any *real* braking performance increase.

However - when i bought my 16v i noticed shortly after i was missing an ABS sesnor. Reno told me this would have disabled my ABS system as a break in the system sends an auto cut out the ABS brain. The previous owner has sneakly removed the ABS bulb from the dash so i didnt notice it until shortly after.

My question is - by having the ABS system disabled the way it is, would this have any effects to my current braking abilites? Other the the obvious of the ABS not working? I cant help but think theres something not right about my brake setup!

i never bothered to replace the ABS senor when i found out it was missing cuz im not really bothered about being aided if i lock up, as i know how to sort myself out if i start to lockup....

Anyone?

ON the valver, the ABS if its not working should act like any other valver.

Just do some testing where you lockup and then do another where you hold it on the verge of locking up whilst turning in.

What do iu feel is wrong?

ON the valver, the ABS if its not working should act like any other valver.

Just do some testing where you lockup and then do another where you hold it on the verge of locking up whilst turning in.

What do iu feel is wrong?

Ben its hard to explain - when i hit the brakes hard it feels like theres nothing there! In the last 2 months ive had a number of hire cars from my company - each time i get back into the valver i feel let down on just how sh*te my brakes are.

My car is booked in for a major service @ GDI for the bank holiday weekend - ill see what Andy rekons when he feels them. Will you be around Ben? Would be good to meet you, show you what i mean.

Ben its hard to explain - when i hit the brakes hard it feels like theres nothing there! In the last 2 months ive had a number of hire cars from my company - each time i get back into the valver i feel let down on just how sh*te my brakes are.

My car is booked in for a major service @ GDI for the bank holiday weekend - ill see what Andy rekons when he feels them. Will you be around Ben? Would be good to meet you, show you what i mean.

Rockport, the brakes are my valver are ok but compared to modern cars they feel very poor. I recently had a new shape Megane as a courtesy car and almost broke both elbows when I first pressed the brake pedal!! They were far keener than the valvers..Ive had them checked out and they are apparently normal??

Rockport, the brakes are my valver are ok but compared to modern cars they feel very poor. I recently had a new shape Megane as a courtesy car and almost broke both elbows when I first pressed the brake pedal!! They were far keener than the valvers..Ive had them checked out and they are apparently normal??

Whens bank holiday weekend?

Sorry, im still not used to these uk weird holidays.

Only thing i can think of i the ABS block affecting it.

Whens bank holiday weekend?

Sorry, im still not used to these uk weird holidays.

Only thing i can think of i the ABS block affecting it.

Modern car bakes are highly overservoed and very grabby......so they do feel rather good.

The laguna and megane i was using this hols were very grabby.

Modern car bakes are highly overservoed and very grabby......so they do feel rather good.

The laguna and megane i was using this hols were very grabby.

Maybe thats what it is then (that fact that there not grabby) I only really notice it when coming out of a modern day car - abit like robfenns clio today. After getting used to the valver again i dont really notice it as naturally i get used to it.

Ben - bank holiday weekend is the 29th - im dropping the car off and picking it up maybe 2nd June or there abouts.

I still think 4pots have to be the way forward... its just ive got a few other things to buy before hand. Think ill go buy a lotto ticket quickly!

Maybe thats what it is then (that fact that there not grabby) I only really notice it when coming out of a modern day car - abit like robfenns clio today. After getting used to the valver again i dont really notice it as naturally i get used to it.

Ben - bank holiday weekend is the 29th - im dropping the car off and picking it up maybe 2nd June or there abouts.

I still think 4pots have to be the way forward... its just ive got a few other things to buy before hand. Think ill go buy a lotto ticket quickly!

no worries m8, thanks for your advise anyway. Im sure Andy will set me straight either way - hes giving the whole car a good look over for me.

no worries m8, thanks for your advise anyway. Im sure Andy will set me straight either way - hes giving the whole car a good look over for me.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

you could ask a local mot station just to do a brake test on the rollers to see if it shows any imbalance or low efficiency. its only a rough guide but it might show up something.

megane 2 brakes are extremley keen if your not used to them.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

you could ask a local mot station just to do a brake test on the rollers to see if it shows any imbalance or low efficiency. its only a rough guide but it might show up something.

megane 2 brakes are extremley keen if your not used to them.