ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Broken Clio 172 ph2

02 Clio Sport 172 Full Fa
Hi All

Please feel free to shout and jeer at me as I'm not too clued up on all this but this is briefly what happened:

The driveshafts needed replacing on my car, I took it somewhere to have them replaced and in the process of doing this they drained the gearbox oil, it seems they failed to fill the gearbox oil back up because as I drove to work the next day or two later the 5th gear kept leaping out..

I pulled it into a Seat dealership (closest garage to where it happened) where they'd check the oil level and determine there was no oil and charge me for the privilege of topping it up (not cheap)

The next day, same route to work down the motorway and the gearbox made clunky noises, I kind of guessed something was about to happen, so pulled off at the junction and as I did I lost 5th, 4th and 3rd gear, I tried to limp to a layby in 2nd and lost drive completely.

Pulled over, couldnt turn it over in neutral, towed it to the garage where they said the timing belt had sheared..

Someone at work used to work on cars and says the timing belt would have undergone strain when the gearbox went and this would have caused it to shred, I want your opinions.

I know my actions probably weren't ideal but i acted on my instinct at the time and that's how it all happened, so sorry if it angers anyone

Mk5 golf gti
your mistake was not taking it back to the original garage

but first i would ring them now to see what they say

I didnt take it back to the original garage because that's in Birmingham and I was approaching Droitwich and didn't want it to seize on the Motorway, Fred was the closest place at the time

I have spoke to the garage who are happy to just replace the gearbox at no cost to me but have suggested the timing belt going was just bad luck rather than being related in any way to the gearbox problem

Rusty Cup
Keep putting pressure on the garage to fix the car + the aux/timing belt maybe ask citizens advice about where you stand as im sure you'll get both problems fixed if your firm enough with the garage.

So do you think the timing belt went under the pressure of the gearbox breaking? Obviously it's bent all 16valves now and caused got knows what other damage so may ask for a replacement engine swell as gearbox what do you think?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i would say the timing belt is bad luck. when was it last replaced.

i think the original garage offering to repair their fault straight away with no cost to you is a good offer and i would be taking them up on that!