ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Building a Server?

2.2 bar shed.
It would be a pain, but seriously.. RAID1 will be fine, if you are concerned about speed then just use 10k or even 15k SAS Drives.

Except running a decent SSD setup is significantly cheaper?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Except running a decent SSD setup is significantly cheaper?

Not when you are talking a significant amount of storage and server grade SSD's.

Our UPS' here are under maintenance contracts, because I don't want to be touching 500v by mistake :p

Generally speaking, the high voltage bits are not serviceable, hence they are not accessible when changing the batteries.

If it comes to the time to change it im sure I can ring the company and ask for a guide/help :D

Nick

It's piss easy, just pull out the old batteries then replace and connect each battery in sequence using the cabling template provided.

The most dangerous bit is not slicing your hand open on the sharp edges of the UPS lol.

Generally speaking, the high voltage bits are not serviceable, hence they are not accessible when changing the batteries.

It's piss easy, just pull out the old batteries then replace and connect each battery in sequence using the cabling template provided.

The most dangerous bit is not slicing your hand open on the sharp edges of the UPS lol.

Thank god for that lol!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member

Tbf, I've never dealt with the tiny UPS things the OP is talking about, we've only got far larger stuff, where the batteries are in a completely separate inclosure from the electronic trickery bits. Plenty of chance in those to accidentally touch a node and fry yourself.

I suppose that's why we have the bypass switches though

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I remember when we were moving our Bristol office, pretty much from one side of a roundabout to another.

Had to move the UPSs in the boot of my then Clio, that was fun lol. Could only load one or 2 of the battery packs in the boot because of the weight.

Jeez, come back to look at this thread and we're onto replacing UPS batteries.

OP, have you considered installing a raised floor and fire suppression system?

Clio 172
Just my opinion here. :D

Google apps for you email, external supplier for your web site, 2 HP Mini servers, 1 running a software raid NAS, the other running 2K8, 1 firewall and 1 switch (pref layer 3).

The 2K8 server has 4 drives in 2 X raid 1 configuration,

The NAS has 4 drives in raid 5.

The Windows server will run your database and OS on the 1st array, and user shares from the 2 array. At this point of 5 users (?) we are assuming the database will have very low use, and user network shares will have heavy use.

The NAS is your backup server, brought into the office (daily? weekly?), backed up to from the 2K8, then removed off site. Manual backups will be a pain but having an off site backup and losing a few days of data is more important than losing everything in a fire or theft.

Sprinkle your network accordingly but I would consider separating your internet and SQL traffic for security.

This should scale well in the future, if you're going to allow wifi access, create a non routed DMZ and open up the firewall as needed and run your internet facing firewall as locked down as possible. Get some crayons and do a design of how it's going to look, consider running smaller subnets, try to think of the internet as something you will have to allow people access to instead of being on the same gateway as all of your network traffic.

Clio 172
To add, if you have the spare cash consider running a Linux / BSD based firewall such as Smoothwall, allowing you to proxy, filter, IDS and even more good things. this could be a big money saver for you and allow you to run a much more secure network than with a £150 firewall device.

Very odd first posts on a car forum mate, but helpful non the less... and duly noted.

I shall research a bit more into Firewalling the network, the router will have a built in one and SBS will have windows firewall so hopefully just a case of running an anti-virus for good measures.

No doubt the network warriors will be in soon so say otherwise :) See what other side of the wall there is to his solution

Cheers mate

Nick

Rav4
Just my opinion here. :D

Google apps for you email, external supplier for your web site, 2 HP Mini servers, 1 running a software raid NAS, the other running 2K8, 1 firewall and 1 switch (pref layer 3).

The 2K8 server has 4 drives in 2 X raid 1 configuration,

The NAS has 4 drives in raid 5.

The Windows server will run your database and OS on the 1st array, and user shares from the 2 array. At this point of 5 users (?) we are assuming the database will have very low use, and user network shares will have heavy use.

The NAS is your backup server, brought into the office (daily? weekly?), backed up to from the 2K8, then removed off site. Manual backups will be a pain but having an off site backup and losing a few days of data is more important than losing everything in a fire or theft.

Sprinkle your network accordingly but I would consider separating your internet and SQL traffic for security.

This should scale well in the future, if you're going to allow wifi access, create a non routed DMZ and open up the firewall as needed and run your internet facing firewall as locked down as possible. Get some crayons and do a design of how it's going to look, consider running smaller subnets, try to think of the internet as something you will have to allow people access to instead of being on the same gateway as all of your network traffic.

Raid 5 :s crikey, I would try and avoid that if possible.

Bringing in your NAS? Could get lost/stolen/damaged on the way.

There are a lot of options, I have not read through all of the thread but I would try and research as much as possible.

Splitting the network is a good idea, really depends on a lot of things though.

Good luck.

Rav4
To add, if you have the spare cash consider running a Linux / BSD based firewall such as Smoothwall, allowing you to proxy, filter, IDS and even more good things. this could be a big money saver for you and allow you to run a much more secure network than with a £150 firewall device.

Good advice if you want to save money. Smoothwall is very good and I know some large organisations that use them. Our Sonicwall Firewalls are rather expensive but effective.

Clio 172
Very odd first posts on a car forum mate, but helpful non the less... and duly noted.

I shall research a bit more into Firewalling the network, the router will have a built in one and SBS will have windows firewall so hopefully just a case of running an anti-virus for good measures.

No doubt the network warriors will be in soon so say otherwise :) See what other side of the wall there is to his solution

Cheers mate

Nick
Pick up the car on Saturday, been hanging around the forum and couldn't resist this post. SBS may be a bit of overkill IMO, it is going add a very large layer of complexity for what is in essence 2 services, a database and a file share. I design and build this stuff for a living ;)

Clio 172
Raid 5 :s crikey, I would try and avoid that if possible.

Bringing in your NAS? Could get lost/stolen/damaged on the way.

There are a lot of options, I have not read through all of the thread but I would try and research as much as possible.

Splitting the network is a good idea, really depends on a lot of things though.

Good luck.
Raid 5 is what most cheap storage runs, would be perfect for this application. The storage would also have to be encrypted (loads of different ways of doing this). The important thing is to get this data backed up and off site on a schedule. An expensive backup licence is worthless if your premises are burgled and you have no offsite backup.

Clio 172
How would I include that?

Internet
\|/
Linux Server
\|/
Switch < SBS Server
^
Client Machines

Something like that?

Nick
Pretty much, wouldn't want to run AD straight off the bat, don't really see the need, 5 users or so? Run a proxy on the smooth wall device and DHCP and DNS on you're Windows server.

Rav4
Raid 5 is what most cheap storage runs, would be perfect for this application. The storage would also have to be encrypted (loads of different ways of doing this). The important thing is to get this data backed up and off site on a schedule. An expensive backup licence is worthless if your premises are burgled and you have no offsite backup.

Raid 5 is still not ideal.

Rackspace for offsite backups is a good option.

Clio 172
Why run a Proxy on SmoothWall? Just to change the outside IP for a bit more protection?

Nick
It won't change the ip address that the outside world see's. We are trying to stop all network traffic that isnt on your subnet getting routed out to the Internet. A proxy will allow you to stop your internal network being able to resolve the outside world by allowing the proxy to do it for you, whilst being able to apply rules and inspect the Internet traffic.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
are you guys kidding me?! The OP knows nothing about servers, theres no way he is going to get Linux up and running as easily as SBS. He also dosnt need such a complex firewall! just use a normal ADSL router with built in firewall, a Dell SBS server and a 1gbps switch - job done! the amount of time you have wasted on here talking about it could have paid for a professional to come in and sort it out (which would have been done in a day)!!!!

Clio 172
My bad, missed that part, thought you were in the business. Sorry for phreaking you out Chapster!