ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed - From The beginning

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Re: My Ph1 172 track sl*g Progress Thread

ooooooooo my idea! that carbon fibre panel there

looking good mate

172 Race Car

ooooooooo my idea! that carbon fibre panel there

looking good mate
I planned this since i sold the phase 1 dash back in september. Just waited till a dash came up at my mates. yours needs this as the dash lets it down in yours

There are quite a few things happening that im not posting about yet, waiting till I have some more progress. You will think ive copyed you on something else aswell

Last edited:
M

mini-valver

Awesome mate! Have an idea for my lower dash now before I send it for flocking, kinda like a hybrid of our CF panel bits!

Cant wait to see this again, Haynes here we come:race:

172 Race Car

This thread is 1 Year old!

birthday-cake.gif

May do an update later

Clio sport 182

Just spent the last 2hrs reading this post from start to finish keep up the good wrk excellent job

172 Race Car

Proper update time................

A few days ago my Bro came over to help me with a few things. He's much better with a dremel and has a good imagination. Just what we need.

We rescued the centre vents from the bin and with a piece of carbon set about making a housing for the hazard switch to go into. I was going to put in in the panel where the headlamp adjuster normaly lives but I wanted to fill the gap left by the centre vents.

IMAGE_265.jpg

IMAGE_266.jpg

IMAGE_267.jpg

As I now have no space for the radio in the centre of the dash I decided to relocate it to the glove box. I need it to stop me gong insane on long drives.

I got myself one of those housing like they use on old mini's to bolt the radio under the dash. Needed to trim it down to fit in the glovebox.

IMAGE_262.jpg

Cut the back of the glovebox to allow the radio to stick out the back, making the wiring connecion easier and so it fits nice in the space.

IMAGE_263.jpg

IMAGE_264.jpg

Quite neat I think.

IMAGE_261.jpg

All I need to do before setting off is switch it on and put a cd in, the display and steering coloumn controls still work, so its fine when on the move. Makes me look more hardcore coz it looks like Ive binned it.

The wiring looms dont reach this far. the display one and the ariel are fine so its just power and speakers that needed to be extended. To save me having to cut the loom and extend it I got hold of a short iso loom ad extended this to make it all plug and play.

IMAGE_240.jpg

IMAGE_243.jpg

^ that pic is of my first attempt, before id actually measured how far it needed to go. Thay are much sorter now.

While my bro was over he made me some small brackets form some dash off cuts to secure my panel in better.

IMAGE_260.jpg

Now, a few weeks ago when my mate was over and I started to get the new dash in, he made a start on removing the ABS!!

2 Reasons for this. It was nothing but trouble at Curbourgh back in the summer (As Tony will agree) and I need the space where it sits for my new pas pump.

The pump is off.

IMAGE_219.jpg

and I have bought a bias valve to put in the rear line.

IMAGE_232.jpg

No further rogress has been made with this so far, altho I do have everything I need to make up new brake lines etc. Now, after removing the pump, the ABS light has stayed on. Of course. Now I did think about tracing the loom back and maybe putting a resistor in or something like people do with airbags but it would take me ages. So I decided to strip the clocks apart and deal with the lights themselves.

IMAGE_247.jpg

IMAGE_248.jpg

IMAGE_249.jpg

Got down to the board and as some of you will know the Clio doesnt have bulbs in its dash clocks, like normal, but has surface mounted LED's.

So do we de-solder them, NO, Just break the top off it, Lol.

Had to do the ABS light, Serv Light, Stop light AND brake warning light (more on this in a bit) All these lights stay on coz of the abs fault. While I was there I took out the front fog and airbag (even tho it isnt on anyway) warning lights. This works well as it leaves the other lights working. The other idea we had that would be NON permanent woud be to put a very smal bit of tape over the led so it doesnt show on the dash. Might be a good tip for anyone with an airbag light on after bucket/steering wheel fitting and is a girl so wont cut the loom.

After this I set about marking up my switch panel after a tyring a few layouts made from cardboard.

IMAGE_244.jpg

Trial drilled a scrap bit to make sure it wasnt going to look s**t after id drilled it

IMAGE_245.jpg

Started drilling and fitting the switches. I have a brake warning light on the panel to overcome the problem with the one I had to break on the dash clocks.

IMAGE_246.jpg

Having a surface mounted fuse box for a couple of extra circuits I need to run.

IMAGE_251.jpg

IMAGE_256.jpg

IMAGE_257.jpg

IMAGE_258.jpg

trial fitted it all to see how it looks........

IMAGE_268.jpg

Very good I think :approve:

172 Race Car

Yesterday I got on with the massive task of sorting all the wiring out. I have to extend stuff, relocate stuff, rewire some of it to work differently etc. Altho it was only 8 or 9 months ago when I did some of the wiring behind the dash, I had no idea what I had done. Multi meter came out to help fathom what I needed.

IMAGE_272.jpg

Radio extension wires were a perfect fit and all working fine.

IMAGE_271.jpg

After several hours of soldering and wiring I was starting to get somewhere.

IMAGE_276.jpg

I needed to run a few wires through to the engine bay for various things. Needed to make or find some loom, so I took the cable off an old trailerboard I had lying around.

IMAGE_269.jpg

Perfect for the job, nicely insulated and the wires are different colours so finding the right ones at the engine bay end is simple.

The earth point is getting busy

IMAGE_273.jpg

The FIA spec cut off switch I have requires some additional wiring as it cuts the feed to the ignition coil not just the main battery cable.

A resistor has to be fitted to one side.

IMAGE_274.jpg

Made up a small panel for the switch. To sit below the dash, where the cup holder would normaly be

IMAGE_282.jpg

IMAGE_289.jpg

Pmsl, Just noticed it looks like a face

There are no screw holes for the clocks to attatch to the dash on the phase 2, so I had to drill them.

IMAGE_275.jpg

With the dash top on they dont line up with the hole properly, ive cut some of the housing and dash to try and get it sitting better but not finished yet.

Fitted another little power outlet in the glovebox for running the tyre compressor or camera off of.

IMAGE_281.jpg

Doesnt leave much room for gloves now :dapprove:

Finished off the dash panel with some stickers to mark the switches.

IMAGE_277.jpg

IMAGE_280.jpg

IMAGE_278.jpg

IMAGE_279.jpg

Nearest the driver side is 'Pump' for the pas pump. Then a cooling fan overide switch and next the heated rear window. 4th one is a spare currently. Push button is for the boot release.

To the right of the hazard switch will be a holder for my pda phone (for sat nav/gps speedo/lap timer) Im looking to upgrade it soon so Ive left it for now as im not sure what in getting yet.

Ive done a bit more on the car, got a new driver seat that im in the process of fitting, but I cant be assed to type anymore today.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

f**k me you got skills boy!!

Ah yeh forgot about that, cant wait to see it.

That reminds me i am seeing andy this week i will give him your wonderwheels.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer

looking good mate and as dan said you've got some skills

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup

Ace work as always Burp ;)

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm custom carbon :hail:

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

absolutely awesome mate, the dash looks brilliant, as said above some skills there

what seats you chosen?

did i hear you say you were getting this dash flocked too??? mine is at a local flockers, keep an eye for the result of that mate.

172 Race Car

thanks for the coments guys.

what seats you chosen?

did i hear you say you were getting this dash flocked too??? mine is at a local flockers, keep an eye for the result of that mate.

Ive got a Cobra Imola for the drivers seat, one of Fringe's old ones. using that retro cobra I have for the passenger seat for now.

I will be flocking this dash at some point but will wait untill the cage has been decided on (a while yet) as it might go through the dash

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

imola's...good choice, what i looked at before my EVO'S just happened to come up.

no worries on the flocking, obviously you can have a look at mine whenever, as said this is a local place so that is alot easier than posting

182 Trophy (#27/500)

sound seats but im a fan of the seats with head restraints, as ive seen what happens to your head in a crash!! a mate has imolas in his clio and they are pretty lush!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

sound seats but im a fan of the seats with head restraints, as ive seen what happens to your head in a crash!! a mate has imolas in his clio and they are pretty lush!

hans seats you mean.....i have heard several people say that... they would be perfect in jays car as it is mainly a track *****...however in anything other than just a track car it would be silly as they are stupidly hard for visability

172 Race Car

Adeyspec has a lovely drivers seat. you sit so low into it and it has the wrap around bit by your head.

Maybe one day

182 Trophy (#27/500)

the hans seats are the ones wth hans fitment(carbon shoulder straps over top of shoulders and hooks into the helmet) i just mean the ones with head restraints like the sparco circuits or cobra revolutions. i have the sprcos in my last car, pretty extreme tbh but i loved em!!

172 Race Car
Re: Burpspeed - From The Begining

To celebrate 1 Year the thread has been changed.

Thanks to Day for changing it and thanks to Justin for suggesting the title

Nikon D700

To celebrate 1 Year the thread has been changed.

Thanks to Day for changing it and thanks to Justin for suggesting the title

Can you get him to change it to beginning? rather than begining?

Still loving this thread matey. You have so much more time than me!

BMW M5 & E36

the hans seats are the ones wth hans fitment(carbon shoulder straps over top of shoulders and hooks into the helmet) i just mean the ones with head restraints like the sparco circuits or cobra revolutions. i have the sprcos in my last car, pretty extreme tbh but i loved em!!

Niiiice! ;)

th_IMG_1432.jpg

lol! Like the title, and the car is taking shape nicely m8. Cant wait to see it in action soon this year!