ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed - From The beginning

172 Race Car
Re: My Ph1 172 track sl*g Progress Thread

IMAGE_148.jpg

IMAGE_147.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Phenominal progress Jay! lol!

nice work on the heater mate. you must have to tie this car down so it doesnt blow away! PH-light FTW.

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs

Not sure about the accuracy of that weight of the engine mount ballast for a 182FF - Mine weighs 3kg. And without removing the headlight and bumper, actually getting it out is a nightmare with all the air con stuff in the way!

200bhp itb'd iceberg

took me just over an hour to read all that....
burp ur a ledgend lol
car looks awesome
i want my battery and ecu relocated is this hard to do?

172 Race Car

Are you the chap who spoke to me and Adey at Oulton yesterday?

Not hard at all mate, battery move is simple and tbh the ecu doesnt need to be moved to get a 45 degree bend on. Just move back slightly. I did it for Quade recently and it worked out well.

53 Clio's & counting

looking good jay, dare i ask why the matress ended up there? lol

200bhp itb'd iceberg

Are you the chap who spoke to me and Adey at Oulton yesterday?

Not hard at all mate, battery move is simple and tbh the ecu doesnt need to be moved to get a 45 degree bend on. Just move back slightly. I did it for Quade recently and it worked out well.

i am indeed :D lol
where bouts you from?
maybe you could give me a hand doing it :D lol

172 Race Car

i am indeed :D lol
where bouts you from?
maybe you could give me a hand doing it :D lol

<<<<<<<

You shouldnt need my help its easy

looking good jay, dare i ask why the matress ended up there? lol
Was waiting for the council to collect it, along with the two massive sofas. They didnt collect on the agreed date and when i phoned them they said it wa because i didnt leave them out for collection, they came around and couldnt find them. :S

172 Race Car

Ok so here is some updates to bring us to the current position. Some of this was done ages ago but it makes more sense to post it all now.

As you know the dash came out weeks ago to remove all the unwanted tar and heater box bits. After getting some inspiration at Castle Coombe rally day in September, I took a hacksaw to my dash. I'm not really sure why now. I had a picture in my mind of what it would look like and it just didnt.

IMAGE_082.jpg

IMAGE_081.jpg

IMAGE_080.jpg

The drivers side is fine but removing the glove box just didn't work, I saw lots of Nova's and Pug 205's with the passenger side of the dash removed and it looked quite good. Doesn't really work on the Clio coz of the more curved shape of the dash. The only way would of been to relocate the fuse and relay box and cut out the metal dash support bar.

Couldn't be arsed with all that and would make the dash top insecure.

IMAGE_133.jpg

IMAGE_134.jpg

IMAGE_135.jpg

IMAGE_136.jpg

This is what i had in mind, just keeping the centre dash with all the controls.

IMAGE_132.jpg

IMAGE_131.jpg

IMAGE_138.jpg

IMAGE_137.jpg

Wasn't happy with the outcome at all but hey ho, loads of other ideas have worked very well so i'm not worried too much. I just need a new dash now :)

Ive sold the flocked top to Adey as i wasn't entirely happy with it.

More later, got to upload the pics.

172 Race Car

cost £70 for the dash top and £10 for the steering coulings. there are better places about for the money

53 Clio's & counting

lol at the council missing them mate,even my eye sight isnt that bad!!

personally mate i think the dash looks good, a lil more tidying would see it good, i wish i had known, i have just got rid of that other dash i had! :(

172 Race Car

A few weeks ago I sold my Volvo/custom pas and alternator setup to Adey.

IMAGE_150.jpg

IMAGE_151.jpg

So I went on the hunt for a replacement at the scrappy and came back with the same again, my tried and tested Volvo 440 alternator and adjuster bracket, with a Laguna top bracket. Total cost £12!

IMAGE_163-1.jpg

Bolted it all on and after connecting up my jump pack to the car (ive sold my battery too!!) the car started and ran for the first time since August.

IMAGE_164-1.jpg

IMAGE_165-1.jpg

Checked the charge rate of the new alternator and all was well.

IMAGE_166-1.jpg

This currently leaves me pas pump less. Manual rack WAS the plan but watch this space.

I sold my (too wide and heavy for me) seats.

IMAGE_153.jpg

So the car currently looks like this......

IMAGE_158-1.jpg

A right mess! :approve:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Sometimes you gotta go backwards to go forwards Jay.

Good work! :)

172 Race Car

Now, the best bit........ while I was doing this my neighbor said that madness can be cured but i am beyond help.

While at the scrappy the other day getting the altornator, I picked up (for the huge price of 8!) a Citroen AX wiper linkage (the single arm one)

Here you can see the difference of the linkages....

IMAGE_157-1.jpg

First I took the motor off the Citroen one as I wanted to use the Clio motor to save me having to dick about with the wiring.

IMAGE_167.jpg

Then took the Clio motor off its linkage.

IMAGE_168-1.jpg

Trial fitted the ax motor to the clio linkage to make sure the holes line up.............. and they did!!

IMAGE_169.jpg

So fitted the Clio motor to the AX linkage..........

IMAGE_170.jpg

and checked the clearance. The Clio motor being a very similar size but has a cover on it.

IMAGE_171.jpg

Next I offered it up to the car and realised it needed to be mounted further left towards the centre. The original wiper linkage mount was in the way.

IMAGE_172.jpg

So I made some room with the grinder. Hello old friend! :evil:

IMAGE_173-1.jpg

Took the plenham of to give me some room.

IMAGE_174-1.jpg

and went nuts

IMAGE_175.jpg

IMAGE_176.jpg

IMAGE_177.jpg

Managed to get the new linkage central, even using one of the original mounting points and bolt.

IMAGE_178.jpg

Loosely put a wiper arm on it to check the positioning.

IMAGE_179.jpg

IMAGE_180.jpg

After several trial and error's, I needed to make some more room for the linkage. It couldn't move through its whole cycle due to more metal in the way.

IMAGE_182.jpg

better, but still catched in places. more trial, grind more off and try again untill i ended up with this.

IMAGE_184.jpg

Bolted the linkage in using the old bolt spaced up abit with a nut and used a pair of mole grips to hold it steady while i tested the operation.

IMAGE_183.jpg

A little vid of it working well........

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zmYWzgA0XsE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zmYWzgA0XsE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

So happy that the grinding work was done I cleaned it all up and gave it a quick paint to prevent rust.

IMAGE_185.jpg

All the bits of metal removed. 0.5kgs! ;)

IMAGE_186.jpg

Obviously the mole grips couldn't stay so i drilled a new hole in the linkage to secure it to the bulkhead, the standard AX linkage mount hole not being in the idea place as it wasnt sitting flush with the body.

IMAGE_187.jpg

Lined it up and drilled the bulkhead.

IMAGE_188.jpg

and fitted in.

IMAGE_189.jpg

Had to remove the washer and cut the bolt down as it was very very close to the linkage when in operation. Or too close to the expansion bottle on the other side.

IMAGE_190.jpg

Roughly weighed the old liknage, both arms and blades before I started, then when id finished, the new setup.

Standard Clio = 3.9kgs
Burpspeed linkage = 1.8kgs
AND 0.5kgs of metal was binned.

Weight wasn't the main reason I did it. Its different, frees up some space under the scuttle for a future plan and looks cool :cool:

I need to experiment with different arms, blade lenghts, alignement and park position to get the best sweep, but it currently works like this..........

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TqL0xrlr88k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TqL0xrlr88k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Ph1%20Build

Wonder if this idea will be copied by anyone......

Qashcow

you know it'll be copied but at least you did it first. fair play to you mate, some more hard work gone into it

M

mini-valver

That wiper set-up is absolutely MINT. Love this car :eek:

How hard (much of a PITA) is it to remove the whole dash? I've had the top off and undone any bolts I could see but just leant it forward to remove all the brown/foam crap from behind it. Is there much tar behind there??

172 Race Car

No tar behind the dash, just that brown s**t. You will need to undo the heater from the bulkhead (under the scuttle and above the pedals) to get it all out. pm me if u need to know more Dave

M

mini-valver

Thought I'd have to piss around with the matrix :(

I'll spend some time on it next weekend and drop you a PM when I get stuck ;)

340i

How hard (much of a PITA) is it to remove the whole dash? I've had the top off and undone any bolts I could see but just leant it forward to remove all the brown/foam crap from behind it. Is there much tar behind there??

Ive spent the best part of 5hours doing this today... so many bloodey wires!!

I removed the top fine, removed about 80% of the brown foam... cant get the part off where the fuse box is though or the heater matrix :dapprove: looks like the whole dash is coming out.... next weekend!

M

mini-valver

Ive spent the best part of 5hours doing this today... so many bloodey wires!!

I removed the top fine, removed about 80% of the brown foam... cant get the part off where the fuse box is though or the heater matrix :dapprove: looks like the whole dash is coming out.... next weekend!

Same as me, lol! I've got about 95% of the brown crap out though because I persevered with my manly hands. ;)

172 Race Car

Take the dash's out you poofs, then you can remove all the other useless crap like heater vent ducting and unwanted wiring loom

M

mini-valver

It's that kinda job where you look at it and think "Gotta be a bette way...." lol.

I'll do it this weekend, just for you. Flocked top should be back by then too I hope!