ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed - From The beginning

172 Race Car
Re: My Ph1 172 track sl*g Progress Thread

That'd be cool 'bone.

Need to give the paint work a little tlc first

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

cool well i really want mine decked before that too really, got so many plans just got to rely on others

Clio sport 172

Great thread, Great car, Great effort

Just read start to finish, love it

RS RIP

Got home from work at 7:45 this morning and read through all pages.
Was really worth the read, real nice job , excellent. Wonder what the weight is like this.

Is that a phase 1 airbox you got in there ? looks huge on one of the pics ?
(got a phase 1 airbox myself cheap and switching it for my square box, that's why i';m wondering)

172 Race Car

Thanks for the cmments franx. yes its the standard ph1 airbox and yes its a bit of a squeze in the engine bay.

'Berg Sold, Cupra-R

just took me a good half hour to read, quality thread, good stuff

172 Race Car

980KG...........Just had it on the local weigh bridge

Thats with track wheels, no spare or tools and 3/4 tank of fuel :D

172 Race Car

Been on late shifts the last few days so finally got around to finishing the door panels. While wandering around Halfords recently I noticed these.

IMAGE_408.jpg

They had them in all shapes & sizes & these ones cost about £7 each. They have a very strong sticky pad on the back but I used some small bolts, with number plate screw caps, at the top just to help. Gives me a nice little pocket on the panel for keys & stuff. Here they are ready to go on.

IMAGE_421.jpg

Offered up to the door & secured at the bottom first.

IMAGE_423.jpg

Decided I needed some kind of handle to pull the door shut. So went to the local scrappy again on the look out for something that I could use. Ended up with some Mondeo headlining grab handles. (Yet more Ford parts on my Renault) rubbed them down & painted black to match the window switch pods. Bolted them through the panel & straight to the metal of the door for strength.

IMAGE_426.jpg

Modified the metal of the door so the handle would sit a little bit more flush with the panel. Spent ages doing this, trying to get it right & then said 'f**k it, That will do!'

IMAGE_425.jpg

Fitted some new door speakers, as the old ones looked s**te & were blown I think. Ebay specials!

IMAGE_427.jpg

IMAGE_428.jpg

Done!
Before.....

IMAGE_422.jpg

After......

IMAGE_431.jpg

IMAGE_432.jpg

Lowered the passenger seat & set it as far back as possible to get the passenger out of the way. Might help with weight & balance abit too :rasp: Bought a 'Rally car' style navigators foot rest for the passenger/victim to put their feet against.

IMAGE_430.jpg

Spent quite abit of time getting the position right. Both to get it comfortable & so I could bolt it down. Needed to find somewhere to mount it that cleared the under chassis box sections. Drilled some holes in the floor, only in 3 corners as the 4th would be too close to pipes under the car.

IMAGE_429.jpg

IMAGE_420.jpg

I might paint it black at a later date, not sure tho. Opinions?

Now ive got a problem with the clutch, b*****d!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

You care to much about your passengers.

I'm not even going to bother with a proper seat/harness.

They can hang the f*** on, or rattle around like a pin-ball.

3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172

You care to much about your passengers.

I'm not even going to bother with a proper seat/harness.

They can hang the f*** on, or rattle around like a pin-ball.

:lolup: LOL

Love it!

Renault 5 GT Turbo

Burp,

How is that dash coming along? Does it fit over existing Dials etc? I am tempted to do the same myself as my dash is looking rather aged....

Not a poxy Renault

Where did you get your tyres from for that price Burp?

172 Race Car

Burp,

How is that dash coming along? Does it fit over existing Dials etc? I am tempted to do the same myself as my dash is looking rather aged....
Its a standard ph1 dash top so yea it will fit no probs. Same shape as the 172 just doesn't have the hole for the airbag. It was black instead of blue but its being flocked as we speak, should be back any day now :D

Hi mate, I had a new set fitted (incl. valves, balance & VAT) today for £126 :D:D:D PM me for details...

Got mine off ebay. the cheapest i could find at the time but there are cheaper about now. I dont pay for fitting as i do it myself at my mates place. They are a Silly price really and came recomended by a member on here who has done lots of track days. You cant even buy shitty budgets on the high street for that money.

Cant go wrong

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

ditto

ive got 8 on order from ebay! £31.50 is a fooking bargin,

if they did 205 50 15, i would but the whole shipment LOL

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

btw dude the car is looking awsome, really impressed! :D

172 Race Car

Well it went on the rollers today and gave a very poor 142bhp @ fly and 117bhp @ wheels.

When i first drove it, then jumped into my old ph2, i instantly said to my mate that it didnt seem as fast as i thought it would be. It just didnt appear to eager to rev. Ive been prooved right. Now to sort it when funds allow

A4 DTM/iceberg cup

go thru the bins! the horsey powers might be in there with the rest of the interior??? lol

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v

Don't know if i've missed it earlier in the thread but whats up with it causing the power to be so down? What you gotta do to get it back on form.

172 Race Car

Only found out today Beaniemoo that it was. I reckon i know whats up with it but it will have to wait for some funds to catch up.

M

mini-valver

That's abit gutting! Timing??

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v

Ah i see, I know what you mean aout the funds thing these projects just eat all your money don't they. LOL

SchwepTek™

Burp knows his s**t so it'll be sorted in no time! lol. The burpmachine is an absolute SLAGGGGGGG! I fancy a start button in mine! ;)

172 Race Car

That's abit gutting! Timing??

I reckon so, pmurry had almost the same low power and reported cam timing wrong on his ph1. Looking through the history the belt was done about 4-5k ago but by 'Joe Blogs Motors' Bet there will be tip-ex timing marks
Ah i see, I know what you mean aout the funds thing these projects just eat all your money don't they. LOL
Yep, always unexpected costs. next move was putting my old prospeed on but that will have to wait

I fancy a start button in mine! ;)
Easily and cheaply done mate ;)

SchwepTek™

Great car this, absolutely fantastic. How did you do the start button?

Last edited: