ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

172 Race Car
Its done, Just waiting on my bro to upload it to the website first, We host the pics on there so photobucket doesnt throw a wobbly with too many views

Qashcow
tony's collapsed??

4063.jpg

FLOL Dave! Does look like that actually. ;)

I have to agree with Tony, although I didnt actually drive the circuit - it looked epic.

Maybe get a CS gang to go up there for a trackday?

172 Race Car
Anglesey CSCC Tintops race - 22nd May 2010

We arrived early on Saturday morning after having a full cooked breakfast in the B&B down the road from the circuit. We found a spot in the already crowded paddock, setup, gave the car a quick wash and sent it off to be 'scrutinised' in the capable hands of our crew.

1478.jpg
1480.jpg

1479.jpg
4446.jpg

Qualifying was quite early compared to Brands but we had time to practice some driver changes for the first time.

4291.jpg
4298.jpg

4295.jpg

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vasfn9b6kks&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vasfn9b6kks&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Tony had plenty of time to learn the circuit yesterday so we elected to put me in the car first.

shapeimage_4.png
4320.jpg

shapeimage_5.png

The track walk, safety car ride and watching Tony's video from testing had helped and I quickly got my times below 1:23 seconds. The car was much better than at Brands. With one lap before I pitted to hand over to Tony, I had a clear track and tried to be as smooth as possible. I came into the pits and Tony hopped in. Our lads quickly checked the tyre pressures and he was on his way. Plenty of traffic to negotiate but settled into the high 21's in clear air.

4416.jpg
4434.jpg

shapeimage_6.png

Session over and it had been a good one. The final clear lap I had before pitting was a 1:21.0 putting us 5th on the grid! We couldn't believe it. Secretly we had hoped for top ten with the improvements we had made and in the slightly thinner field, but never expected that. Some insects had to give their lives to achieve it though.

shapeimage_7.png
4441.jpg

4445.jpg

Just before lunch I had a qualifying session for the Sports vs Saloon race I had entered. The field consisted of everything from big Jag's, Tintops, and Classic Porsche's to a Radical and some missile quick Caterham's. The session was fun and I used it to try some different lines after watching Tony's earlier runs. I managed a 1:22.0 to put me 14th out of 32 and next to a BMW on the grid.

shapeimage_8.png
4474.jpg

Less than an hour later was the Tintops race. Tony would start and the plan was to leave him out right till the end of the pitstop window. After an aborted start and another warm up lap, he made a good getaway and briefly thought about challenging the car in front but slotted into 5th. Half a lap later and the safety car came out (just as at Brands) to allow the marshals to clear up an oil spill between the banking and Church corner.

Snapshot%20-%201.jpg

shapeimage_10.png

shapeimage_9.png

Being much closer to the front meant Tony could see the lights go out on the safety car, and this time kept much closer to the car in front on the restart. The car behind was filling his mirrors for a lap or two but once he had pulled out a few car lengths and could take his normal line, his times picked up. Tony did a fantastically consistent fast run in the mid 22's and was in clear air most of the time, unable to catch the top 4.

4547.jpg
4551.jpg

By half distance other teams were starting to pit, Tony continued round and made up places, he was now lapping in the high 1:21's and not loosing much time lapping some class B cars that had pitted. We called him in with 28 minutes gone from 2nd place, we were the last to stop. We had a pretty decent stop of 23 seconds, almost half our Brands shambles. I rejoined the race in 3rd place, not far off 2nd. I took it steady on the out lap but the car felt great. The brakes and tyres were working well and it was the best it had been since we built it. With empty mirrors and 2nd place ahead I tried to keep the gap but found myself gaining. A few laps later a car span in front of us at church corner. Being slightly further back I didn't have to back off as much and got a good run up the hill to Rocket corner, a very big stop. Moving to the inside I had to brake on the dirty stuff and struggled to slow down. I remember wondering how much a passenger door was for an MG ZR but luckily Clinton in the MG was struggling to stop as well and ran wide, I was through into 2nd!

Snapshot%20-%202.jpg

shapeimage_12.png

But it was too much for me in what was only my 2nd ever race and a lap later, checking my mirrors too much, I ran wide at Church and was re-passed.

4565.jpg
4566.jpg

The rapid 4th placed Honda had been catching our battle and I defended my position as best I could. I defended up at the top of the hill into Rocket but a lap later at the same point I hesitated trying to pass a Ford Puma and he was through.

4569.jpg
4571.jpg

4578.jpg

On the final lap the Honda managed to pass the MG with a good run through Church and along the back straight. As the three of us came down the hill through the corkscrew, I could see the flag. We all finished very close together as I crossed the line in 4th.

shapeimage_13.png

Snapshot%20-%203.jpg

4590.jpg

What a race, our fastest lap was some way off the top 3's and a few cars behind had done quicker laps but our result was a combination of the work we did in testing on Friday, strategy, a good pitstop and Tony's mega consistent, mistake free long stint. The only thing wrong with the car was the windscreen strip that came loose.

132.jpg

It was over a three hour wait till my Sports vs Saloon race, a 15 minute sprint. It was great experience as I did a start for the first time. I had a little fight with the BMW, eventually passed and pulled away. 7 laps in I understeered wide at turn 1 and took to the grass. It caught me by surprise as id took my normal line and approach speed. The rest of the lap was a bit scary as the car would not turn in well. The front tyres were completely finished. I thought about calling it a day but stayed out and cruised around to finish 16th and another signature on my licence.

What a weekend. We are very, very pleased with how it went. The test was the key ingredient, being able to run the car and play with setup was what we needed.

http://www.classicsportscarclub.co.uk/Results/2010 Anglesey.pdf

Anglesey%20Results.jpg

Anglesey%20SvsS%20Results.jpg

Well written Jay. It was so tense watch all that. We were frantically trying to confirm if they were in third place at that one point, we were chuffed to bits and cheering like mad on the hill!
An awesome weekend though, the weather and scenery were epic, and top that with a remarkable race - it was a truly great two days at Anglesey.

For me it was great to see the car perform well after all the hard work that's gone into it. Top result Tony and Jay - chuffed to bits for you. Gutted I can't make Oulton though :(

Qashcow
great write up Jay, congratulations to the both of you. Glad the pit stop went better than at Brands too....

172 Race Car
Be great to see you Russ, get the thoughts of a seasoned racer.

Thanks for the comments chaps. Watching the video back im slightly annoyed with myself in one hand and in awe in the other. I shouldn't of gone off after id passed the MG but I never thought id be 'racing' other cars so soon

172 Race Car
Canvas showing on the outer edges, need more camber. Notice the Hankook logo is half missing. Thats why we know the car will get better, we were running on the sidewalls at Anglesey

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
bloomin' hell this has come a long way. i've been away a long time.

congrats to jay and tony. the hard works paying off at last.
what an amazing story to read. :clap:

172 Race Car
a little vid from the weekend

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/krXkho6F0oc&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/krXkho6F0oc&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

172 Race Car
What do you think of the tyres Jay? comparable to R888's?

Carl
bearing in mind we have never had a new set of toyo's (always other peoples cast off's) im not sure its a fair comparison.

But they are much softer and have good amount of grip. Surprising how much we have needed to change the setup tho to get the best out of them and still miles off

172 Race Car
cant remember exactly coz weve changed it a few times but i think they start to come on at 6,200...... are all on at 7,000 and flash at 7,250 ....... limiter is set at 7,500 iirc

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini
ok cool ive just got the same lights afetr seeing yours but dont know what the limiter is on my car got it set at 6000 7000 then flash at 7100 atm