ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
We need a report lads. If you're both really angry thats fine, just write a quick 2 minute one so we know how the day went??

Done the photos already Jay, didnt have much else to do this evening! ;)

http://www.danfreemanphotography.com/2010/09/burpspeed-silverstone-race-photos/

FYI, the first 8 photos are some of the last of the day, they appear first as my camera's shutter count reset to 0001 (as it resets after 9999 photos).

DSC_9703.jpg

And my signature, moody profile shot ;)
DSC_9731.jpg

182cup & 172 racecar
I would to thank everybody who came along to help on the day,it just makes things much easier.

Photo. Dan
Bar. Dan
Welsh.Mike
J's bro.Matt
Food.Helen

Roll on Snetterton 17th Oct

PooGo 308 HDi 1.6
4th September 2010 - Silverstone Tintops Race

A sunny but overcast day greeted us at our home circuit of Silverstone. We would be racing on the national circuit. Strangely the scrutineers at this meeting found faults with lots of cars that had not been mentioned all season. Apparently we need to fit a handbrake before the next round and had to fit a safety strap to our camera. A cable tie had to do for the day but we need to make a better mount and safety strap for future use.
We had been having a few problems with the starter button. The contacts have worn out inside it and sometimes it won't start first press. We changed the switch and fitted a relay to the circuit.

9637.jpg

There was a much more competitive field entered for this race compared to Mallory, 31 cars in all. The dizzy heights of the top 3 was going to be a challenge.
Qualifying started at 10:40 and I went out first. It seemed to take ages to get heat into the tyres and the grip level was less than I remembered from the trackday a month before. On lap 3 I had a bit of understeer on the exit of Brooklands, a small lift brought the back around massively and I had a very big spin across the grass. David in the Peugeot 306 behind me thought I was going to roll over as the car dug into the grass sideways. It was a silly spin. I thought about pitting but the car felt ok so I did another lap to check it all then the chaps called me in for a tyre pressure check. The evidence of my off was all over the N/S tyres.

9722.jpg
9724.jpg

I went back out and tried to calm my driving down a bit. I managed to get 2 clear laps and set a time in the mid 1min 10 second bracket. 2 seconds quicker than we had gone at the trackday a month ago. I came in to hand over to Tony and we made an adjustment to the front dampers. The car was not as easy to drive as it had been at Mallory. Tony had a good run with times consistently in the low 1min 11's in a little traffic

9762.jpg

A reasonable run to put us 8th on the grid. Right in the middle of a very competitive group. 6th to 10th place was covered by 0.2 seconds!
The lads got the car up on stands to clear out the grass and mud I had collected on my travels. Then we noticed a slight problem. The radiator fan had fallen off and we had lost all the clips to hold it in place. With no decent way of refitting it we left it off for the race.

9862.jpg

9865.jpg

After the car was all ready we did some practice pitstops. They didn't go that well but we were reasonably happy.
Tony was doing the first stint and as 3pm rolled around it was time to make our way to the assembly area. 8th on the grid gave us a starting position next to the pit wall. Lights out and a clean start from the whole grid (as far as we could tell) It got a little busy into Beckett's with cars 5 wide. Tony came across the line after the first lap in 10th place.

9911.jpg
9916.jpg

He then started to have a massive scrap with Russell in the number 6 MGZR. The MG ahead at the line each time but Tony was mega into Copse and re-passed, sometimes getting a little sideways on the inside. On the pit wall we were talking strategy the whole time and on lap 10 Tony managed to stay ahead as they crossed the line and began to pull out a tenth or so per lap.

9965.jpg
9951.jpg

There was a gap of around 4.5 seconds to the car ahead. We knew that now he was out of the fight his times would come down and they did, dropping into the 1min 10's. Just what we needed. Russell in the MG pitted on lap 14, hoping to jump us at the stops. Tony started to close slowly on the car in front and we pitted on lap 20, well into the 2nd half of the race.
The stop was a poor one. I sat on one of the belts and the adjuster slipped when Tony went to strap me in. A 32 second stop was a poor effort by our recent standards.

As I entered the race at the pit lane exit, the red number 6 MG filled the mirrors, we had stayed ahead. Just!

I had a scruffy first lap, running slightly wide onto the kerb at the exit of Brooklands. I was determined to start the next lap neat and tidy into Copse. Good turn in and then SNAP.

The throttle pedal hit the floor. I dived for the run off area at the exit as the MG was very close behind and knew instantly the throttle cable had broken. The marshalls waved me into an escape road at Beckett's and that was that. Out of the race.

The marshall tried to make me feel better by informing me that we had just been given a drive through penalty for speeding in the pit lane that we no longer had to serve. I got towed back to the paddock before the race had even finished.

So the car had quite good pace, not as quick as it was at Mallory but the fastest race lap was 1min 10.6sec

All that was left to do was push the car onto the trailer, pack up and go home.

0020.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  182cup & 172 racecar
I was,I went to adjust the belt to lengthen it and pulled the wrong strap so shortened it instead,what a plonker eh.

182cup & 172 racecar
LOL "in proper racing".It was only VERY heavy as we had a strong extra return spring which has been removed since you last saw it,but yes it looks like we could do with something like that.

ITB'd MK1
, IIRC you were using a jenvey cable? they're crap for racing and i've told simon@jenvey that for years LOL

that's why i like to modify genuine cables (cut the end off basically) and use a jenvey linkage. Could easily use a twin cable linkage, Scott Falkner is running one on his ex cup-racer rally car

ITB'd MK1
, IIRC you were using a jenvey cable? they're crap for racing and i've told simon@jenvey that for years LOL

that's why i like to modify genuine cables (cut the end off basically) and use a jenvey linkage. Could easily use a twin cable linkage, Scott Falkner is running one on his ex cup-racer rally car

Lionel Richie
most stuff has twin cables basically as a back up if one s***s itself, plus i think they work in a nicer way

if you go for proper sexy push/pull cables then even better, i've just had one made for the V6 ONE HUNDRED BLOODY POUNDS (7ft long!) but it is nice :D

182cup & 172 racecar
It sounds a bit pricey,but its better than wasting an entry fee.Sounds like its something to do over the winter.(another thing added to the list)

172 Race Car
We have decided to drop the last round of the series at Donington and concentrate on next season. So no night race :dapprove:

There are several things we need/would like to do to the car to make it faster, more reliable and easier to run.

On the flip side we have had a last minute invite to demo the car at the Renault World Series this weekend.

Revised calender for rest of the year:

18th/19th September - Renault World Series Rangotti Demo Show

17th October - Snetterton CSCC Tintops Race Day Double Header

23rd October - Tour-De-Force Rolling Road Day

Then put to bed for the winter/a little rebuild before going testing pre season

172 Race Car
If u want to sponsor us for the event then we can do it. Not enough money in the pot im afrad. Donington was an additional round the club added on so wasnt in our original plans

Car looked great at RWS yesterday.

Just a question with regards to sponsorship/the issue highlighted above ie lack of cash. Why do Cliosport members not donate into a pot and the Cliosport.net logo go on the car ?
Plenty of people on here, throw a few quid in here and there, soon mounts up.