ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

Clio 182 Race Car
Well done lads - nice to see someone keeping the Clio end up, must be that petrol additive of mine! I'm off to see whats up with ours, thanks for the belt.

172 Race Car
Yea the two days went well. car got better and better everytime we went out. We understand it a bit better now. Was damp for quali but lovely and sunny in the race.

Full report very soon

Quali: 11th
Race: 6th
Fastest Lap: 1:23.8

172 Race Car
A very poor quality video facing rearwards. Front camera s***s itself as soon as you show it a kerb.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Well done lads. Glad it went well and you all came home in one piece.

(I got your text jay, cheers. x)

172 Race Car
Im still buzzing from how good the car was. Catching and passing that Integra and then holding him off was the icing on the cake for me. Learning all the time, starting to feel comfortable being bumper to bumper.

I think 6th was as good as we could of expected, even if we'd qualifyed higher. The first 4 cars are in a different time zone.

BMW M5 & E36
DC5 was struggling to stay with you there!

You wouldn't believe how much I want to race. Shame I can't use mine as it is, original engine needed etc.

182cup & 172 racecar
Awesome bit of video there guys! Loving that first lap at the bottom of crainer curves, awesome line giving the teggy some dirt! Need to mine done even more now after being there yesterday!

Hope you enjoyed the experience of a full day Nick.

Getting in amongst the Tegs is good news.

Felt sorry for Andy who's Clio got smashed for no reason at all,and Ian's Clio who's engine went sick on him.

Clio 182 Race Car
Hope you enjoyed the experience of a full day Nick.

Getting in amongst the Tegs is good news.

Felt sorry for Andy who's Clio got smashed for no reason at all,and Ian's Clio who's engine went sick on him.
Anyone want a lesson in “Attention to Detail”?

The reason that T&J finished where they did was attention to detail, proper detail, not the peripheral stuff, like are the wipers polished!

My motto (for 30 years) on any of my racecars has been “everything works – just”

Before every race I check everything; everything!

Before Donington everything worked – just, apart from the “charging” lamp LED, I checked the alternator and it was charging, I re-checked the belt and it was tight, so everything working (apart from the LED)

I had fitted a larger radiator but on testing it was better than the old one so no problems there.

In the practice session the car overheated (off the gauge), I thought that the radiator was the issue and spent ten minutes trying to work out plan B, old rad back on air lock etc? but on checking found that the alternator belt (which runs the water pump) had failed. With no lamp I hadn’t spotted the failure and resulted in a P30 grid position, Simon hadn’t even been out in the car so we were seriously disadvantaged for the race. It does not end there please read on.

Jay kindly lent me a belt as I had damaged my spare trying to put it on in a rush and I fitted the donated one with no problems. As we had not got 3 laps in for both drivers we were allowed to put Simon in the car for 3 laps (maximum allowed) it was raining so with wipers and lights on he managed to ascertain that the car was OK and that no damage had been done on the “overheat”.

We started the race at the back of the grid, I put my main beam on and went for it! After 1 lap the car would only rev to 6500, after 4 it was down to 6000, clearly the engine was sharged. We pitted and Simon got in the car, I said “run it until it blows up” by the finish of the race the car was on 2 cylinders and when it cut out in the pit lane it wouldn’t restart. I had resigned myself to a new engine.

This morning I find that the main alternator feed to the battery is sheared, hence no charging! We had run 3 laps practice and the start with lights on, on the battery only. I connect a new battery, start the car and it runs sweet as a nut to the rev limiter.

If the charging LED had been working then we would not have risked an engine, would have spotted the problem straight away and we would have been up there with the Burps! – ATTENTION TO DETAIL!

Clio 182 Race Car
Dunno yet but LEDs dont generally fail, Ill have a look tomorrow after I have given myself a good kicking! Just thought; maybe LEDs dont like the charging circuit or cut-off switch?

Lionel Richie
the stock alternator connectors ALWAYS break off the loom, one of the first things we bin on road converted track/race cars

Clio 182 Race Car
Hi Fred,
Its the only bit of French wiring that we have on the car! I reused the cable because it had the ends on - should have known better!

Similar to this?
IMG_9202.jpg

182cup & 172 racecar
Lol,throw a spud at them and get chips out the exhaust.

Anyway,caught you pissing in our fuel tank,pics to follow.