ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

182cup & 172 racecar
Snett weekend

I'm not going into full details, but the car wasn't ready. now only finding this out on Wed afternoon/eve, left things in a bit of a mess.

Too late to get money back or sell test day on the Friday, and too late to get entry fee back, these two amount to quite a bit of money, which I couldn't afford to throw away.

As said before, thanks for all the offers of help, cars etc, but a quick phone call to Ian Collins (mitsiman), and a deal was done on his 106.

So after work thursday, I bomb over to Worcester and I meet the trusty dusty steed. After a little pushing and shoving of cars, out she comes, a quick battery change, and she fires, and then another search for wheels and tyres, job done.

Thanks Ian :)

I'm now fighting sleep on the way back along M42/M40, and thinking, maybe go to Snett early in the morning. Anyway, once home and showered, I feel half alive again, so say to the besdmonsta, come on, we're off, so at 22.22 we set sail for Snett (fool).

Windows open and lots of loud music just about get's me there at 01.30!! I'd been up since 03.30, don't remember the last bit of the journey, but got there.

With testing starting pm, I thought I'd give the car the once over, only little things like lose seat,oil, securing fire ex cables etc etc

So we start with this
2014SnettertonNipponPaddock3_zps12fc5633.jpg

with a little bit of this.

2014SnettertonNipponPaddock5_zps3abde07b.jpg

A lot of this.

2014SnettertonNipponPaddock7_zps03350af6.jpg

A little chat

2014SnettertonNipponPaddock8_zps454f3540.jpg

A bit of a shove

2014SnettertonNipponPaddock10_zps4aa753e7.jpg

Anti overheating device

2014SnettertonNipponPaddock22_zps6eaef540.jpg

And it's nearly ready.

13.20 and its test time, so off I trundle down to noise check, 86db, so that's a pass then.

Out on track the 106 feels great (Ian said it would, but you never know with him;)), just getting the feel of it, RED FLAG!!
This a right arse, as there are only 2 sessions, so now we are down to 1.

As I pull up by the van, I smell brakes and the car judders to a halt?? Now I'm no mechanic, but that's not right, on quick inspection, offside brake is smoking and making horrible clicking noises, very very HOT.

After a wee and a cup of tea, I take the wheel off, piston seized on, lots of WD40 and help from Andy with pumping pedals and me with big pliers, we get it moving. Result :).

Next session was faultless and fun, infact it's been a long time since I had so much fun, buzzy little engine, high temps and intermittent rev counter, 20 mins soon goes by.

Anyway, job done, learnt car and circuit (still don't like Snett).

I thought I'd upset Ian, by washing the car and putting a big Burpspeed.com sticker I found in the van across the bonnet, (it worked lol).

Race morning and man mountain arrives (Oli/Cub), who then eats my bacon rolls, but I was glad of the support.

Off to scrutineering, and guess what.

2014SnettertonNipponPaddock46_zps07b392bf.jpg

So more tea and bacon, some pikey #4 made out of electrical tape, and we are ready to rock and roll.

2014SnettertonNipponPaddock53_zps7fcf49ce.jpg

Getting chased by Dinger in Quali grrrrr power.

2014NipponSnettertonPractice31_zps68ffe04f.jpg

22nd on the grid,5 sec off the Clios pace, but still having fun.

2014NipponSnettertonPractice167_zps5814436a.jpg

Race 1

In the thick end of things, which is interesting to say the least, made a fairly good start, made up a few places by elbowing my way through, then started to have a good exchange of places with Kevin in the MX5, just looks funny with no roof, and just seeing a head bobbing along next to you.

Then on lap 4 going into the hairpin with Kevin on the outside, I go hard on the brakes car starts to slow, then, BANG, pedal hits the floor and off onto the grass heading for the trees, handbrake and 3 spins later, I park under a tree well out of the way and have a little look, dripping brake fluid, damm.

Drive back to pits using handbrake, and get it jacked up.

2014SnettertonNipponPaddock71_zpsa26fb985.jpg

Brake pipe had rubbed on the driveshaft as it had come out of the clip (I missed that one). Oli helped me remove pipe, then we search for help.

Again, Dingers boy's Phil and James came to the rescue, and remade the end of the pipe.

After a little swearing, said pipe was reinstalled, and bled through, top up with oil and ready to go again.

Race 2

Starting from the back is always fun (so they say), lights out and away we go, the little 106 fits into really tiny gaps, so some good progress was made, gained about six places on the 1st lap, then a three way battle started between Neale Hurren (mr2), Tony Collier (Toyota Celica) and myself, Neale seemed to spend more time off track than on, but kept it going, Tony C did a move Plato would be proud of around turn 1 (don't know what they are all called), all I remember, was seeing him in the mirrors then he disappeared from view as I turned in, now I was on the apex and Tony C was inside me lol, I saw his roof as he 2 wheeled his way pass, this pushed him wide though and I got him back at the hairpin.

That was basically it, apart from watching out for the faster cars coming through to laps us, and a little nipping and tucking, we finished all fair and square.

I got 1st in class and fastest lap in class 1:35.4, so knocked a second off quali time, so pleased with that.

Me and Tony C

2014NipponSnettertonRace2255_zps2ccc39ce.jpg

I would like to thank Mr Ian Collins for his generous loan of the car, at least I got to race rather than sit it out, and had great fun doing it.

Oli for his help and support.
Paul and James for doing the brake pipe.
Alec (Prize Motorsport) for putting up with me borrowing things all day.

And Track Attack for another great meeting.

Next Silverstone.

Watch this space ;)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Was good to catch up, thanks for the top notch hospitality as ever (thank your better half for me :)). Was a great fun day with a class win in an unknown car. Good work old boy, good work.

Nice write up.

Really glad you didn't have a wasted weekend in the end.

Sorry I couldn't make it, but I should be at Silverstone baring any problems.

clio cup
Of course Tony, we are always here to help where we can. and glad you had some fun after what must be a distressed few weeks

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Oh nice. Glad it's all ok.

I'm hoping to go to Silverstone so may see you there. Be good to put a face to the name. :)

Clio 182 Race Car
Glad it went OK, the car must be worth a fortune now, been driven by Chris Hodgetts and you! Thanks for servicing the brakes - I new they were dodgy but "forgot" to tell you!

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome stuff tony, I think we should all chip in for Ian's 106 and keep it as a spare car for the series, either that or make it compulsory to do at least 1 race in it! Will the clio be sorted for silverstone?
russ

Clio 172
Blimey about 15 pages of reading (I've been a bit busy of late) and what a story. Great to see the CS love for you Tony and I'm glad you didn't throw the towel in. Hope the Clio is coming back together and hope to catch up with you sometime soon.

182cup & 172 racecar
Cheers Andy.
It's been an on going saga really, which I shall not go into atm.
But the pug is a fun back up, I think its going to have a heart attack, I changed the oil and put an oil cooler on it yesterday.

182cup & 172 racecar
Well still no Clio on the horizon, so it's out with the 106 again.
Managed to get a few bits done to it since snett, oil cooler ebay special, loads more holes in the front to aid cooling as all the needles shoot right up after 2 laps lol, and a cold air feed, poor thing was sucking in
red hot air from the engine bay.

Sort of looking forward to the week
at Silverstone, but just feel its going to be a little boring and slow.

At least I'm out there, just have to go for another class win, and see if I can pass any clios jjst for fun.

Clio 182 Race Car
Managed to get a few bits done to it since snett, oil cooler ebay special, loads more holes in the front to aid cooling as all the needles shoot right up after 2 laps lol, and a cold air feed, poor thing was sucking in

At least I'm out there, just have to go for another class win, and see if I can pass any clios jjst for fun.
If only you had said something; I found a cold air feed for a 106 on my garage floor the other day , you could have had it!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Photos looked good earlier :)

Class win and overtaking a clio. That is your mission, if you choose to accept it ;)

182cup & 172 racecar
Well I've done the pre check on the baby Burpspeed Pug, showed it the hosepipe and pumped the tyres up! That's as good as it gets, as I'm just so busy at work.

Not looking forward to the drive to Cadwell, the last bit is always a pain, but be good to back out there, and catch up with the French bunch, it seems ages since Silverstone.

I shall enjoy the slow drive around Cadwell, I might be able to enjoy the veiw a little more this year.

Clio's in progress, just incase you all think I've forgotten about it ;)