ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buyer pulls out, what to do

H&R + Pole Position'd Cup
I'd wait to see if he contacts you personally. IF he does then maybe get his employers details as someone said just to confirm.

But tbh if the guy was ready to buy the car the following day he must have the money sitting waiting. If I was in his shoes and I'd think sod losing £200, buy it any way and sell it straight on as he must have got a bit of a pay out from his ex-employers to tide him over till it sold.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Well i had this happen when selling my Trophy.

Got £500 deposit & lads dad phoned to say he had stretched himself too far & wouldn't be able to afford my price.

All i asked for was £30 to cover my advert costs, his dad asked me to keep £50 so i returned £450.

I like to think i have made mistakes in the past & not been punished so do the right thing & return his deposit.

It could be you next time!

Broken Diesel Megane :(
£200 (if he is telling the truth) could help him out for a few weeks. i would return it all, less what it will cost you to readvertise.

Give the man his money back man..
It would be fuckery to keep it..

Some would keep half but you will sell you moter in the end
its a nice looking car...

182 FF
Still no contact, gunna have to wait for him to contact me, thought he would have at least emailed me by now:(

koi

Audi S1
well if you don;t hear back from him just keep it all!

oh and btw those don't look like Oz's to me

172 ph1
send him an email, ask for his former employer's contact details.

no reply = the misses bagged his balls, you keep the money
reply = confirm story (make sure it's not one of his buddies pretending to be his boss), if true, if you get one of the other buyers to pay what the agreed price was, then give him his deposit back. If you get a lower price, take it out of the deposit and give the rest back.

If it was me buying the car, I wouldn't expect to see the money again - that's the point of a deposit. He's paid you to stop you selling it to someone else. For all you know, you've put off potential buyers, and you may not sell it for another 6 months now.

On the other hand, if I knew he had been made redundant, I'd probs return it minus advertising costs as people have suggested. But wouldn't otherwise.

Leon Cupra 300
I'd probably keep £50 for your time/trouble. Sure he would be grateful for £150 back when he could potentially have nothing!

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
send him an email, ask for his former employer's contact details.

no reply = the misses bagged his balls, you keep the money
reply = confirm story (make sure it's not one of his buddies pretending to be his boss), if true, if you get one of the other buyers to pay what the agreed price was, then give him his deposit back. If you get a lower price, take it out of the deposit and give the rest back.

What a tw@tish response.

Chances are he's out looking for a job, hence no contact.

ie; got his priorities right & not being childish!

Last edited:
Whats the point in taking a deposit if you are going to give it back?

I bet he'd be pissed if you took the deposit and then sold it to someone else, so I wouldn't feel to bad about keeping it tbh.

The fact he's been made redundant isn't your problem imo. For all you know he's found a better one.

I'm in a harsh mood.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Tell him you will transfer 16,000,000 ugandan dollars back into his bank account and that you only need is bank details, everybody gets dae monies

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I dunno one side of me says keep it, but the other say give it back. £200 will make alot more difference to the guy than it will to you. I am talking from experience being made redundant a few weeks ago, £200 could give the guy a few weeks shopping money.

Karma.....

Definitely. Give it the guy back. He could be telling the truth, lies, half-baked stories - whatever. Fact is, his mind (and circumstances) have changed apparently.

I'd give him the money back, tbh.

D.

182 FF
Whats the point in taking a deposit if you are going to give it back?

I bet he'd be pissed if you took the deposit and then sold it to someone else, so I wouldn't feel to bad about keeping it tbh.

The fact he's been made redundant isn't your problem imo. For all you know he's found a better one.

I'm in a harsh mood.

Not a chance he found a better one, its the best one on here, lol :rasp:

1.8 Civic EX
Keep the deposit...giving it back defeats the point imo

If you left a deposit, i dunno, something random...a hotel room booking. You leav a deposit over the phone to pay the rest on the day....turns out you can't go anymore you wouldn't be getting the deposit back would you...

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Keep the deposit...giving it back defeats the point imo

If you left a deposit, i dunno, something random...a hotel room booking. You leav a deposit over the phone to pay the rest on the day....turns out you can't go anymore you wouldn't be getting the deposit back would you...

You leave a deposit on a car at a main dealer, you change your mind you get your money back.
Same with deposits on house plots on new builds, money back no probs.

This is 'private' so it's up to you what you do, but think what if it was you in his shoes!

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
If the genuine reason is that he's been made redundant, then thats fair enough and i personally would give it him back.

Anything else and i'd tell him to GTFO, i don't care if his sisters boyfriends bit on the sides dog has just won the lottery and bought him a nissan GT-R in bright pink with an OMGWTFPWN button that makes it go 0-1337 in 1 second tbh.

Bumder With A Buffer
I cant understand why people are saying keep the deposit!

Its still on pistonheads is it not? (doesn't show up as being sold)

When I got my sport form someone on here I went down to Chingford from here to view it.. wanted it but didn't have the money there and then but said id be back next weekend with the money (bank loan :) ).

He asked if I wanted to leave a deposit but I was a hard up student and had no money on me so I explained that to him and he said fine he'd keep it for me till the Next Sunday. Crapped my pants all week thinking he would sell it but true to his word he kept it for me.

I would NEVER leave a deposit for a car for a few days anyway. Whats to stop the f**ker running off with 20 people's deposits! Too many c**ts in this place.

I sold 2 cars in my life and both times I have not taken a deposit from the guys as i gave them my word I would keep it for them for a few days. And I did as im not a c**t :)

1.8 Civic EX
You leave a deposit on a car at a main dealer, you change your mind you get your money back.
Same with deposits on house plots on new builds, money back no probs.

This is 'private' so it's up to you what you do, but think what if it was you in his shoes!

fair point I guess..

tbh, if it was me I wouldn't expect the deposit back, and i wouldn't ask for it back either

a burnt one
When you put a deposit down on something 99% of people do so in the belief that if the sh** hit's the fan then it is non-returnable.

My way of thinking would be that if he/she asked for it back then he has got cold feet, but if he/she didnt then they are big enough to accept the the deal has fallen through and the deposit is lost.

If i was the buyer i would'nt ask for it back to be honest.

The fair thing would be to maybe give half back or the lot minus advertising fees, then again who knows, maybe the initial interest has dried up and the next guy manages to talk you down to knocking £300 off the price.

Decisions decisions, if it was me (and he asked for it back) i'd give him £100 and make it clear that the £100 you are keeping is for the inconvenience, re-advertising and a weeks depreciation of value in the car.

182 Cup
Let fate decide. Put the £200 on an online roulette table, all black, red, odd or even or something. If you win give him £200 back and keep the winnings. If you lose, erm - you haven't lost any money.

182 FF
I cant understand why people are saying keep the deposit!

Its still on pistonheads is it not? (doesn't show up as being sold)

When I got my sport form someone on here I went down to Chingford from here to view it.. wanted it but didn't have the money there and then but said id be back next weekend with the money (bank loan :) ).

He asked if I wanted to leave a deposit but I was a hard up student and had no money on me so I explained that to him and he said fine he'd keep it for me till the Next Sunday. Crapped my pants all week thinking he would sell it but true to his word he kept it for me.

I would NEVER leave a deposit for a car for a few days anyway. Whats to stop the f**ker running off with 20 people's deposits! Too many c**ts in this place.

I sold 2 cars in my life and both times I have not taken a deposit from the guys as i gave them my word I would keep it for them for a few days. And I did as im not a c**t :)

Only turned the ad back on today, it was listed as sold

I only took the deposit because in the past people have asked me to hold it then failed to turn up.

Biggest issue is, and i had it already today.....

"mate, seen yer car on P/H, thought it was sold"

me: yeah it was the buyer pulled out, job loss etc"

he thinks i'm a billy bullshi*er, and theres something wrong with it, it makes it look like tainted goods

as others, i'd not ask for the deposit back if i were the buyer.

if they don't contact you again and you're bothered about what they've said to you, you're going to have to do something.

Owen

ClioSport Admin
I would give him it back, but that's because I like to think the best of people and that he is in fact in the s**t.

Having said that, all my good deeds have hardly ever been reciprocated with all the stuff I have had stolen/misplaced never being returned (although if you did return something you stole it would slightly defeat the purpose of stealing in the first place).

Perhaps keep it and if you sell the car in the next fortnight return the deposit to him. If not, keep it.

V6 255 (Illiad Blue)
Someone earlier said it...Karma

If he is being genuine, He needs it more than you, If he's been a toss pot, Your gonna sell it regardless, give him the benefit of the doubt. Expect a good deed in return