ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

buying advice - 182

looking at purchasing a 182 (with both cup packs) this weekend if i can find a decent one at the right price.

anyway- just a few questions;

what tyres should be on it?? (with the cup packs)

how can you check whether its a UK model or an import??
any common faults/problems to look for??

what are the mileage points when the services are due? im assuming these services MUST be completed to keep the warranty up to date?

cheers

VaVa

Michelin Pilot Exalto 2s

UK models have window etching and Renault Cat 1 alarm.

I cant type all the common faults lol. Have a search. Engine mounts, suspension knocks, passengers seat, Serv/Airbag lights...... etc etc.

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.

Why not buy one of the ones in the for sale forum.

UK clios have the led alarm light near the gear lever, locking wheel nuts in Renault box and alarm motion sensors are postioned in the A pilar??

Happy Hunting

i keep checking the for sale section on here but alot seem to have high mileage or be a bit over priced.

had my eye on one on autotrader but it isnt in there anymore.. still got the number so gonna try it when my money comes through, hopefully this week, to see if its still there..

does the LED alarm light look just like one of those ones you get with most aftermarket alarms? just a red LED in a black surround?

saw one there on another 182 but thought it may be an import and had a cheap alarm fited afterwards as the LED didnt look fctory fitted anywhere.. just looked drilled and stuck in the console.

dk

911 GTS Cab

service intervals are 12k and need to be done with 1k miles to keep the warranty

Mondeo STTDCI

Ones on Cliosport may seem overpriced as they have been CHERISHED. IMHO if I was ever to buy a second hand Renaultsport first place I would look is right here. Even if I pay a few hundred quid more I know its not gonna have been ragged until warm and will have been waxed and looked after (in MOST cases of course but then I know those who arent as fineckety!)

I bought a UK-spec parallel import 172 used and cant see why someone would mark an "import" down. The spec includes the Cat 1 alarm (with LED next to gear stick) and only misses out on the window etching. The Renault dealer didnt question any warranty claims in the 3rd year either - its money they get refunded from Renault anyway.

Id recommend you consider a new 182 if you can stretch to one. They seem to come in at about £12k for a brand spanker and it may be worth it if youre finding it difficult to find a decent used one (even though they can only be a year old tops).

If not, definitely wait for a good 182 to come up on Cliosport. My 172 was bought in absolutely outstanding condition and looks as good as a brand new car at 3 years old. Ive bought and sold most of my Clios through the forum and really recommend it. Youll find that because were all Clio experts, the asking prices are often better than usual too.

cant really stretch to a new one, i know they can be had for just over 12k all in but cant really afford that so looking at spending around 9-10k

what does the window etching say?

saw a year old 182 with 10k miles for 9k on autotrader.

182_blue whys that then??

need a quick comfy car that looks ok and handles well that i can be happy with leaving standard.. really dont want to modify a car again..

plus im 20 so insurance is a killer anyway..

182 blue - why do you hang around on here if you dont like the cars ffs ?

Get over on SeatCupra.net or something at least u might have something positive to say over there.........:devilish:

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by 182_blue on 14 June 2005
my advise is DONT BUY ONE :devilish:

Oi stop being so bitter, youve owned two.;)

Id offer you my 04 182, but I think the mileage might put you off. Its on 18k at the moment, but is being traded in Thursday for £9.2k. That gives you an idea what dealers are offering for them anyway.

Quote: Originally posted by Grale on 14 June 2005

182 blue - why do you hang around on here if you dont like the cars ffs ?

Get over on SeatCupra.net or something at least u might have something positive to say over there.........:devilish:
and you are !!!!, this forum is about all cliosports is it not ??, i told him not to get a 182 as i had nothing but problems with mine, hence telling him not to buy , but i would advise him to get a 172 or cup, which i had and had no problems with

ps i pay to be a member whatever car i own, and you, well when you join freeloader then maybe you can comment :p

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 14 June 2005

my advise is DONT BUY ONE :devilish:

Oi stop being so bitter, youve owned two.;)

Id offer you my 04 182, but I think the mileage might put you off. Its on 18k at the moment, but is being traded in Thursday for £9.2k. That gives you an idea what dealers are offering for them anyway.
hehe, yep, but then you know what my 182 was like, my cup was brilliant tho

Lee

BMW M2C

The window etching is something to do with being on the National Security Register, just a load of numbers and letters on the glass.

That one you saw on Autotrader is a good price.

I know Shaun, pity you got a bad 182 after the Cup. Does tar the ownership experience.

On the subject of which the lad I give a lift home from work fancied a drive of mine before it goes so obviously I was happy to let him do so. Unfortunately his policy is in his wifes name with him as the named driver, so he wasnt even covered third party. Instead she drove it. Apparently it has a lot more go than her 1.6 Focus. Bless, she never took it above 4k, so I drove it back to show her. He text me a bit ago to say she was still shaking.

The 182 is the same as the Ph2 172, except:

- slightly different pattern on seats (very close though)

- silver seat belts

- cruise control standard

- different suspension settings (and again on Cup and Cup pack 182)

- no spare wheel

- twin exhaust (hidden on 172) and different manifold

- different wheels

- 6 different colours

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by stehodges on 14 June 2005
Wat features does the 182 have over a 172, apart from the obvious?

Feature wise its identical to the 172s from late 2003. They all have Cruise Control. ESP was added at the end of 2002 IIRC. The seats have a silver colour behind the air holes and the seat belts are silver, other than that its the same.

Dont have an issue with my 182Cup. Had one problem a few weeks back and the dealer sucked, but overall its been a superb machine.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by GuyS on 14 June 2005
the 182s dont have a spare wheel either? thought it was just the cups..?

The 172 Cup didnt have one to save weight, the 182 doesnt have one as there is no spare wheel well anymore due to the different exhaust system.

All 182s are missing the spare wheel. Its not so much a weight thing, its just that the exhaust route cuts through where the wheel would have been.

Wat features does the 182 have over a 172, apart from the obvious?

Feature wise its identical to the 172s from late 2003. They all have Cruise Control. ESP was added at the end of 2002 IIRC. The seats have a silver colour behind the air holes and the seat belts are silver, other than that its the same.

Did that happen on a plate change? the 172s i mean

ah ok.. ive had no spare wheel for 3 years so not TOO fussed.. LOL

182 in forsale section now, looked perfect.. but its silver :cry:

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by stehodges on 14 June 2005Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 14 June 2005Quote: Originally posted by stehodges on 14 June 2005 Wat features does the 182 have over a 172, apart from the obvious?

Did that happen on a plate change? the 172s i mean[/QUOTE]

Im pretty sure ESP was added September 2002. My March 2003 172 had it. Cruise Control was added later, I dont think Ive seen it on many older than a 53 plate.

Where are you based Guy? Renault Birmingham had an Arctic Blue with both Cup packs at a decent price last week. A bit more than you were looking to spend but Im sure they would move on it.

im in grimsby - north east lincolnshire

prepared to travel to pick up a minter though..

how did you know i want arctic blue? ;)

Lee

BMW M2C

Ill have a look at it Thursday when Im in there see if they still have it and what its like. Its priced a bit low for a main dealer so I expect its done some miles.

I dont know how I guessed that. Very odd. Check my site link for lots of pictures of my Arctic Blue one.

As I said its going this week but Id be reluctant to sell it to anyone on here as I know it needs a couple of things doing and its had a very hard 11 months. lol Ive loved every minute of it, well except the 5 trips to get the exhaust sorted, but I can overlook that for the fun factor.

i have a bit of a mileage phobia..

my last car was a 1998 R regd and only had 35k on it.. :D

theres a cheap one in the for sale section but two problems, 29k is pretty high for one year! and it has a B&M and i REALLY want a totally standard car as ive been down the modifying route once and never going there again!

am guessing youre trading in for a trophy??

[Edited by GuyS on 14 June 2005 at 9:54pm]

Lee

BMW M2C

I have a mileage problem. I did 22500 in my 172 in 15 months and have done 18k in the 182 in 11. I do around 12k a year commute so the rest is pleasure.

Yup. The Trophy should be ready for me to collect Thursday if my sales guy pulls his finger out tomorrow.

If thats Cocopops car I can vouch its been looked after. As far as I know hes never had any problems with the car either. He got his around the same time as me. Virtually all his mileage is motorway, where as mine is a nasty commute, mine has also had some quarter mile and track action hence why offloading it on a dealer is a better option for me. lol

Other than the miles theres no way you can fault Cocopops 182.

hmm, if i cant find one with less mileage on for a decent price i may be tempted with cocopops..

just the B&M that im not too keen on! why would someone want a quikshift if they didnt want to rag their car? lol

dk

911 GTS Cab

hmm, if i cant find one with less mileage on for a decent price i may be tempted with cocopops..just the B&M that im not too keen on! why would someone want a quikshift if they didnt want to rag their car? lol

Cocopops car is a good specimen and has been treated well.

He has never tracked it and does rag it when cold etc.

As Lee said, about 90% of those miles are motorway ones and its been serviced at the correct intervals.

If you want a decent car at a decent price then it is well worth going to have a look at!

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 14 June 2005

As Lee said, about 90% of those miles are motorway ones and its been serviced at the correct intervals.

If you want a decent car at a decent price then it is well worth going to have a look at!

i assume you mean he doesnt rag it when cold. lol

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 14 June 2005

If you want a decent car at a decent price then it is well worth going to have a look at! [/QUOTE] i assume you mean he doesnt rag it when cold. lol

LOL, yeah:oops:

Mini Cooper S sport

hehe, yep, but then you know what my 182 was like, my cup was brilliant tho
Im glad I didnt risk driving halfway up the country to buy your 182 then - never knew you had problems with it!

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by stehodges on 14 June 2005 Wat features does the 182 have over a 172, apart from the obvious?

Did that happen on a plate change? the 172s i mean

Im pretty sure ESP was added September 2002. My March 2003 172 had it. Cruise Control was added later, I dont think Ive seen it on many older than a 53 plate.
Cruise was made standard in Oct 03 in lieu of the six disc changer iirc. I got mine Nov 03 and I remember wondering whether it would have cruise or the changer!!

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

hmm, if i cant find one with less mileage on for a decent price i may be tempted with cocopops..just the B&M that im not too keen on! why would someone want a quikshift if they didnt want to rag their car? lol

Because it was FREE ;)

j3ned ran a competition to win one (worth £170) and I won it!

Like I said, I still have the original gearstick and gator, so tbh the original gearstick is mint as its not been used! :D