ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

buying an importred clio 172 any pitfalls

i am seriously considering buying a clio 172 from motorpoint as the have them for £11699 at the moment.

my questions are what differences are there between motorpoints clio an a uk sourced one, and what do i need to look for when i buy one, also i think i read imports only come with a 2 yr warranty, but its possible to get a 3 yr warranty but sending something back to renault uk is this correct?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Yes you can now get the full 3 year warrant by sending off your purchase invoice to renault.

There isnt really any pitfalls, other than the imported 172 dont come with an alarm.

Lee

BMW M2C

Just make sure they imported it from a country within the EU as some of there cars come from Malta. Reault will only honour 1 year of the warranty on those.

I got mine from Motorpoint in March and have had no problems at all with my local Renault dealer. They service it and carry out all warrantly work without and problems.

Feel free to PM me any questions.

Mines an import, no warranty issues but thats expired now anyway. No difference in the cars as far as I know (except for some reason my registration number never brings up details of the car or me etc)

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Cord-172 on 20 November 2003

Mines an import, no warranty issues but thats expired now anyway. No difference in the cars as far as I know (except for some reason my registration number never brings up details of the car or me etc)
I phoned Renault after I got mine and had it put on the system. Makes life a little easier.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Cord-172 on 20 November 2003
Mines an import, no warranty issues but thats expired now anyway. No difference in the cars as far as I know (except for some reason my registration number never brings up details of the car or me etc)

Same goes for me (about the registration number bit)

thanks for the replies guys, do you think i should wait till after january when the 182 comes out as the price of the 172 should tumble

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by chas on 20 November 2003

thanks for the replies guys, do you think i should wait till after january when the 182 comes out as the price of the 172 should tumble
Thats entirely up to you mate. Personally Im crap at waiting for things. :oops:

Im not sure Motorpoint will have those in January anyway. Im sure the first lot will have owners who have put there names down in advance, but who knows.

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 20 November 2003

Thats entirely up to you mate. Personally Im crap at waiting for things. :oops:

Im not sure Motorpoint will have those in January anyway. Im sure the first lot will have owners who have put there names down in advance, but who knows.

what i mean the prices of the 172 should fall more due to the 182 and i prefer the look of the 172 to the 182 which i think is spoilt by the twin exhaust,

and a quick point what are the 172 like to drive are they realy as quick as peple say

Lee

BMW M2C

One other thing with cars from Motorpoint is you dont get the AA cover you get when purchased from a Renault dealer.

I cant imagine the price will drop too drastically. But its bound to have some impact.

Im not a fan of those exhausts either!

With regard to the performance, its virtually impossible to find a car of the same value which performs like a 172/Cup. Performance is one of the things most owners dont moan about. lol

thanks for the replies lee , looks like a 172 for me its just a question of when now, thanks for the help guys

i will be back with more question when i get my clio