ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bye Bye Skoda, Hello GT86.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
This. It's retarded how it always comes back to this. Maybe someone just wants a newer car. A newer M3? Not the same cost.. xD
Retarded? What if someone's requirements are just, "under 15k, RWD, 4 seats". I already said they're not like for like, but they're hardly opposite ends of the market either.

Agreed on eagle F1s. Have a set on the s3 and their superb tyres at a reasonable price! I paid around 340 fitted on 18s.
Good all round performance, they continually score highly on tyre reviews too.
Even in monsoon conditions I felt comfortable at speed with no aqua planing or any sign of instability... I was seriously impressed.

They'd be a good option as an all rounder, as more track focused tyres tend to want to kill you in the rain.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Do love this Jason. Looking at them on my lunch, no thanks to you x

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The f1s are good but you moaned about wet etc. Get some Rainsport 3s and have fun all year round, and they last really well.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Do love this Jason. Looking at them on my lunch, no thanks to you x
Talk to a dealer, the online finance calculator gives you hilariously high numbers for used ones. You can get a lot LOT cheaper talking to a dealer...
The f1s are good but you moaned about wet etc. Get some Rainsport 3s and have fun all year round, and they last really well.
My F1's were always awesome in the wet though?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Can't argue with that mate. The Focus ST boys really really like them.

53 Clio's & counting
Followed a Subaru version home earlier - could notice how the tyres looked just a bit too skinny for it. I would love to have a spin in one with some decent tyres

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
I don't get all this about the standard tyres, I have tracked mine admittedly in the dry and they are fine. They are not great in the wet/cold weather but not as bad as people make out.
The 'forum' seem to prefer Contisport 5 or Yoko Advan V105. Although depends which forum you use , one is too cliquey for me.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I don't get all this about the standard tyres, I have tracked mine admittedly in the dry and they are fine. They are not great in the wet/cold weather but not as bad as people make out.
The 'forum' seem to prefer Contisport 5 or Yoko Advan V105. Although depends which forum you use , one is too cliquey for me.
Yeah it was dry today for the first time in a long time and I forgot how Not-So-Shitty they can be! Still would rather have my F1's for all year round. The Conti's are meant to be better, mind you. But the F1's are £70 a corner!

How's yours doing? Any issues?

Clio172cup rally car
Nice mate! I love the gt86, I've got one as a work car!! With the full trw kit
b4832903706e8223673b8851326b57db.jpg

We've been working alongside Toyota to reduce the shift efforts in the gearbox. As it is terrible especially in cold weather conditions! Anyway I get to drive this all day for freeeee! I'm going to be gutted when has to go back [emoji852]

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Mines been fine but have one eye on a Golf R, I was going to mod mine but by the time I have changed wheels/tyres and fancy the Cosworth stuff its into £2.5 - 2.7k.
I am lucky and use Riceburner in Macclesfield for service and warrenty work and have been great, I noticed you posted the other day about your service problems and tbf a few of the people on the owners forum have had issues with some of the dealers so its a bit hit and miss. I've had new window seals and the window frame replaced , seals on rear lights and a new gear stick as mine was a bit notchy going from 1st to 2nd when it was cold but its been great since.
I wouldn't mind going FI but its not cheap and then you need wheels tyres exhaust etc so gets very expensive!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Nice mate! I love the gt86, I've got one as a work car!! With the full trw kit
We've been working alongside Toyota to reduce the shift efforts in the gearbox. As it is terrible especially in cold weather conditions! Anyway I get to drive this all day for freeeee! I'm going to be gutted when has to go back [emoji852]

Ah yes, the kit that adds no power but puts it up a tax bracket! I do think it looks pretty awesome though. Pretty good company car tbf, I got mine on PCP so I do have the option to keep in 3 years... as it stands I would want to!

Mines been fine but have one eye on a Golf R, I was going to mod mine but by the time I have changed wheels/tyres and fancy the Cosworth stuff its into £2.5 - 2.7k.
I am lucky and use Riceburner in Macclesfield for service and warrenty work and have been great, I noticed you posted the other day about your service problems and tbf a few of the people on the owners forum have had issues with some of the dealers so its a bit hit and miss. I've had new window seals and the window frame replaced , seals on rear lights and a new gear stick as mine was a bit notchy going from 1st to 2nd when it was cold but its been great since.
I wouldn't mind going FI but its not cheap and then you need wheels tyres exhaust etc so gets very expensive!

I was going to do the hilariously cheap lease on the R but found it a bit numb, I actually prefer the GTI! Great cars though for the money. As it stands I'm probably just going to put better tyres on it when they need doing... which according to Toyota is VERY soon seeing as they keep calling me

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Golf r needs spanking before it comes alive. Brilliant when you do, but also license losing territory.

In a few years, a used 86, sc'd will be very tempting.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
The car got its first taste of the track today. I headed over to the PistonHeads Sunday Service, just down the road at Silverstone. it was £40 for a 30 minute track session so I couldn't really say no!

All the sessions were delayed an hour due to ice, and the track was still very slippy when they started. However, I still had a massive amount of fun. The car was very rewarding!

I did a cut down video, showing at least 1 clear lap and also some laughing at stuff. I convoyed down with the guy in the Saab, its very quick! Such a funny sight on track...

25557103595_31ea815b63_c.jpg
DSC_0105 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

25557102385_6620aa0d65_c.jpg
DSC_0110 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
That looked a lot of fun!

What do these have ESP/TC wise? What were your settings? It seemed quite keen to move about.

Much as I love boost with all my heart I do need to have one of these as some point.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
That looked a lot of fun!

What do these have ESP/TC wise? What were your settings? It seemed quite keen to move about.

Much as I love boost with all my heart I do need to have one of these as some point.
You have: On, "Sport" or Off. For the first few laps I had it in Sport, but then I turned it all off. The track was very very slippy today, and my standard tyres are running a bit low! I'm going to switch them for Kumhos next I think.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I still haven't warmed to them and I don't know why. They should tick most of the boxes of what I like in a car and they seam sporty enough, Christ I drive a type R which hardly sets the world on fire but im still not feeling these.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
You have: On, "Sport" or Off. For the first few laps I had it in Sport, but then I turned it all off. The track was very very slippy today, and my standard tyres are running a bit low! I'm going to switch them for Kumhos next I think.

Standard tyres as in the Michelin Primacy (?) that come fitted to the Prius?

Is it like that on the road, all loose at the back or does it only happen if you give it an intentional bootfull?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Standard tyres as in the Michelin Primacy (?) that come fitted to the Prius?

Is it like that on the road, all loose at the back or does it only happen if you give it an intentional bootfull?
I don't know if they are on the Prius or what, but yes the Pimitives!

It's normally only when provoked, but they are a pretty terrible tyre and do not inspire confidence. I cant wait to have a change! They werent particularly terrible on track in fairness.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I find the Primacys terrible unless driving sensibly, proper tyres transform the car.
I've been recommended Kumho KU39s by quite a few. In that they are a lot better than the Primatives, but not too good that it stops the "Playfulness".

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
So it went back to Toyota again for the oil leak issue and the rear lights. They actually fixed the leak (well, took the offending item off and re-sealing it).

However, apparently the rear lights have "no condensation at all". Although they "weren't saying they dont fog up" and was told if it happens again to drive back there. Which I think is a joke, and a waste of my fuel. This is something thats a really common issue with a dealer fix!
CdSVHyhWwAANJUD.jpg

CdSVHz1XIAA_S_z.jpg

I took these photos after picking the car up.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Mines like that on one side, you can get some gater or something seals for them it's on one of the forums but not cheap esp when it's a warranty issue !

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
So I was without the GT86 again last week. I got Toyota Customer Services involved the other week, and suddenly they've found another Oil leak (fixed it) and are replacing the two rear lamps (ones on back order). They obviously hate me as they gave me an Aygo with a rag top as the courtesy car! Even had the guy jokingly say on the phone "bet you cant wait to get out of that". Think they were a little disapointed when I confessed I actually quite enjoyed it in a weird way. Better than the Yaris in every way anyway!

Either way, didn't drive it much. Passed my bike test last week so been a bit pre-occupied...

IMG_8412_1.jpg

IMG_8414.jpg

IMG_8423.jpg

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
So I was without the GT86 again last week. I got Toyota Customer Services involved the other week, and suddenly they've found another Oil leak (fixed it) and are replacing the two rear lamps (ones on back order). They obviously hate me as they gave me an Aygo with a rag top as the courtesy car! Even had the guy jokingly say on the phone "bet you cant wait to get out of that". Think they were a little disapointed when I confessed I actually quite enjoyed it in a weird way. Better than the Yaris in every way anyway!

Either way, didn't drive it much. Passed my bike test last week so been a bit pre-occupied...

IMG_8412_1.jpg

IMG_8414.jpg

IMG_8423.jpg
Well done mate, how are you finding it?

I'm actually working over your side of the m25 at the moment, should meet up for a few bike pics one evening.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Well done mate, how are you finding it?

I'm actually working over your side of the m25 at the moment, should meet up for a few bike pics one evening.

Enjoying it yeah! The Bikes got a few quirks I need to work out. Not quite shifting down right at the moment, but since parts are about 50p and you can take it apart with a Halfords Socket set I should be alright! Currently using it to commute to work as its so blood cheap lol.

Let me know how long you're this way for! I've got to uphold my Oxford duties this weekend and get blind drunk for MayDay....

Love how the one in the red/white looks like he's in bed and just dropped his TV remote on the floor.

MY10 R35 GTR
Looks like your having fun with the 86.

My wife fitted Litchfield suspension kit and 18" wheels 225 width front and 255 width rear. Got some proper grip now but still playful.

Looking for a buyer as she feels it time to move on

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Well I went for the Kuhmo KU39's in the end, £59 a corner online so couldn't say no. And my my, what an improvement on the Michelins! A lot more grip but still playful enough to have fun, and the grip doesnt just fall off a cliff either.

Went for a little shoot with a couple other GT86's. My friend Andy owns the modified white one, I think its spot on!

28574378581_ab0c404bc9_c.jpg
DSC_0230 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

28368778510_0632f12f1a_c.jpg
DSC_0243 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

28574377851_19d4800d54_c.jpg
DSC_0254 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

28574376461_e5fbcdb7cc_c.jpg
DSC_0299 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

28620601756_3ac1a611cb_c.jpg
DSC_0344 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

SCJM21

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Great pics! That white one does look spot on, really like the rear light clusters too.