ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cambelt assumed done? how to tell?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
going to see a 172 tonight with my mate, its a 52 reg, full service history and one done a few months ago, but the seller said he assumes it's had it done because its the full history, is there anyway to tell if the cambelt has been done?

i.e. does it state in the service book if its done?
where abouts is it in the sport engine bay to have a quick look etc?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
How long has he had it, don't think you'd foget a £500+ service.

Audi TT 225
you cant have a quick look at the cam belt without taking the cam cover off which is an arse.
If its got a major ticked for the 70k service or there abouts and its a renault stamp then it should have been done, also look at the service history and there should be records of it being done.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
ok cheers.

i know what you mean rollo, my mate spoke to him though because he wants the car so don't think he would have asked that, doesnt know about them really!
its ok 54k miles, ill check the book etc

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
yeah thought so!

might have a new member in the next few weeks then, another monaco blue...!!!
seems a really good price though, hope he buys it!

111s
^^^ Is the place to be trusted??

To be perfectly honest if you were spending £500+ for a service you'd keep the invoice with your car records....wouldn't you?!!! I know i framed my £ucker!!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'd say it's not been done, unless he has a receipt.

Mondeo TDCI 130
there is no way by looking at it you can really tell! if there is no hard evidence, ie a receipt, assume its not been done! you DO NOT want it breaking!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
well turns out it was a bit of a dog, damage, scratches, horrible wheels, was an import aswell, cambelt hadn't been done, no evidence of a service since 24k miles, now on 54k.

couldn't find the receipt for the service a few k ago which was before he bought it, hmm, bye bye!

JMR

RB 182 Cup
well turns out it was a bit of a dog, damage, scratches, horrible wheels, was an import aswell, cambelt hadn't been done, no evidence of a service since 24k miles, now on 54k.

couldn't find the receipt for the service a few k ago which was before he bought it, hmm, bye bye!

What's wrong with an import? They're all made in France, so they're all imports:approve:

Audi TT 225
damage, scratches, horrible wheels, no history.... but hey its ok because its an import... PMSL

JMR

RB 182 Cup
damage, scratches, horrible wheels, no history.... but hey its ok because its an import... PMSL

:lolup:

I was only saying:banghead:, Pepsi made out it was a bad thing that IT WAS AN IMPORT ASWELL!

Mines a '03 import and I think you'll be hard pushed to find a car in the club of this age thats in as good nick exterior, interior and mechanically as mine.

......runs for cover.:eek:

I paid about £700 quid under book price when I bought it and expect £700 quid less when I sell it. No hard feelings eh?

ot in newark was it?

Matches a description of one locally :p

JMR

RB 182 Cup
What at the auctions!!! :eek:

I'm in Newark too mate! Not seen that one for sale round here though.:dapprove:

ot in newark was it?

Matches a description of one locally :p

Dot know where the auctions or if the car is for sale :p

i know recenlty its had a new bumper as the old one was smashed to bits.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Auctions on the country lane near Coddington between the A17 and the A46. Er. Drove Lane?

ps, how do you know bumper was smashed on the one in question???? Mate of yours?

Auctions on the country lane near Coddington between the A17 and the A46. Er. Drove Lane?

ps, how do you know bumper was smashed on the one in question???? Mate of yours?

No Walk past it every day and was smashed to fook one week and fixed the next.

No where near Coddo lol.

Also, might be best to PM me, dont want to risk infraction points :S

111s
^^^ Is the place to be trusted??

To be perfectly honest if you were spending £500+ for a service you'd keep the invoice with your car records....wouldn't you?!!! I know i framed my £ucker!!

What have they got to gain from lying ??

A possible sale, on the strength that it has FSH and has had £500 worth of cambelt done. Is it not obvious?

not a clio anymore
going to see a 172 tonight with my mate, its a 52 reg, full service history and one done a few months ago, but the seller said he assumes it's had it done because its the full history, is there anyway to tell if the cambelt has been done?

i.e. does it state in the service book if its done?
where abouts is it in the sport engine bay to have a quick look etc?

Getting in the discussion late, but:
Cambelt is 5 years of 72K, the car is neither as it will turn 5 between sept '07 and march '08. This means that the guy is probably not lying when he says full service history, but also means that the cambelt has not been changed.
If it had been done, Renault quoted me £700 for it. As mentioned, this is a detail your wallet would not forget.