ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt change, just venting

Commie VID

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise 111S, Model 3
Hi all,

Halfway through a cambelt swap on the wife's Clio 172, ran out of brake cleaner, so had to take a short break from it.

After two weeks before stuff arrived, got around to cleaning the engine down and began reassembly of the cambelt.

Tightening up the exhaust nut (100Nm, then was probably gonna do 125Nm) and it didn't feel right at all, then:
IMG_20200417_143841.jpg

This was after resealing the cam cover as well, so even if I calmed down and decided to keep tackling this, I would need to dismantle the cambelt again and then remove and reseal the cam cover again and do it all over again.

If anyone has a spare exhaust camshaft or something I would probably appreciate it, but then probably have to wait ages for new seals and sealant to arrive.

Absolutely livid.

Commie VID

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise 111S, Model 3
Iknowright.

Looks like after some initial swotting that it can be removed. Guess the weekend will be spent with a blowtorch to hopefully loosen the threadlock and pliers and hoping for the best. Sigh.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Well thats pita.

Renault bolts for you, broke my nose once when one sheered and I wacked myself with the torque wrench.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Iknowright.

Looks like after some initial swotting that it can be removed. Guess the weekend will be spent with a blowtorch to hopefully loosen the threadlock and pliers and hoping for the best. Sigh.

Yeah, they are just a stud.

I've never had a go at removing one but it should be do-able.

Commie VID

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise 111S, Model 3
Welp, that didn't help.

Despite as much heat as I would dare, attempts at getting grips on the stud only made it round up even more to the point it now slips off.

Stupid POS, off to the scrap yard.

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
its a fairly easy job but you will need the cam out to make it easier.
use a gas torch to heat up the end to burn the locktight.
then drill a small hole in the stud and use a easy out to remove it. if there is enough of the stud protruding then weld a nut to it and then remove it that way.