ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cambelt problems (local garages)

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
because so many garages do f**k it up, either by not using the correct locking tools (the cheap ones are s**t and don't work) or not bothering with locking tools altogether and just muddling through (cos it's only a belt change right?)

If you don't have anything to show it was done by someone who knows what they're doing how can you say it's a decent job??
Your using the exception not the rule to make a case. Simple case is the majority of belt changes are done to a correct standard, its only the horror stories that people cling on to. And besides, one done badly is quite easy to spot, lack of power and torque if done a little badly, obvious bad running if done really badly.

because so many garages do f**k it up, either by not using the correct locking tools (the cheap ones are s**t and don't work) or not bothering with locking tools altogether and just muddling through (cos it's only a belt change right?)

If you don't have anything to show it was done by someone who knows what they're doing how can you say it's a decent job??

Yes I’m sure many garages do make mistakes when it comes to belt changes on the F4R engine. Who’s to say it hasn’t been done properly though? The engine runs perfectly.

When selling previous Clios 172/182s (or any car for that matter) I’ve never had anyone check which garage has done the belt changes and knock me down if it wasn’t one of the ones they recognised.

Your using the exception not the rule to make a case. Simple case is the majority of belt changes are done to a correct standard, its only the horror stories that people cling on to. And besides, one done badly is quite easy to spot, lack of power and torque if done a little badly, obvious bad running if done really badly.

I assume my timing belt was done properly as my friend’s tuned Nissan 350z is no quicker than my cup in a straight line:) Even over 100 he couldn’t pull away at all. I know it would eventually go on to a higher top speed though

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
On a respectable rollers will soon tell if it’s been done well.

Not that there’s a rollers on every corner but you know what I mean lol

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
I'm Brighton way, so Rentech Portsmouth, or Ren7oaks, both which are fab I am sure, but the prices......
Anyone heard of the "Clioman" littlehampton, west sussex. Will give him a call as he has a good reputation. Apparently his location can be off putting up some sort of farm track?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I'm Brighton way, so Rentech Portsmouth, or Ren7oaks, both which are fab I am sure, but the prices......
Anyone heard of the "Clioman" littlehampton, west sussex. Will give him a call as he has a good reputation. Apparently his location can be off putting up some sort of farm track?

How much does Clioman do it all for? He's very popular on the FB page and he fixed a lot of Clioturbo issues I think.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
How much does Clioman do it all for? He's very popular on the FB page and he fixed a lot of Clioturbo issues I think.
I'll give him a call early next year when mine needs doing, but been told he does full Cam/Aux water pump and dephaser cheaper than most places

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I'll give him a call early next year when mine needs doing, but been told he does full Cam/Aux water pump and dephaser cheaper than most places

Fair enough mate. Have you enquired at Rentech? I think he was £650-700 for the full works a couple of years ago.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Fair enough mate. Have you enquired at Rentech? I think he was £650-700 for the full works a couple of years ago.
Yes- enquired on here, and he said prices were as he had posted up the year before. Its on here somewhere- as you said around £650 but not sure bout water pump

Edit - Well the Cambelt prices from Rentech were on here, cant find them now. Found a thread that refers to a cambelt price thread, so it may have been removed?

Last edited:

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
When selling previous Clios 172/182s (or any car for that matter) I’ve never had anyone check which garage has done the belt changes and knock me down if it wasn’t one of the ones they recognised.

People check for common issues on many different cars, doesn't matter what the issues is, when it becomes known people will look for it.

RS Clio's happen to have a reputation for cambelt stuff.

Just don' understand why Renault in their wisdom, made it such a difficult job in the first place.

Does the Dephaser really do a great deal for performance?
It's not like the VVT systems used by Honda which add an impressive amount of power.

Westfield, 182, 200
I've just bought a 200 that had a cam belt 2 1/2 years ago by Billy back street :(
I was contemplating getting the belts done, but when I was sorting the dropped door today (had the wheel arch liner out) I noticed the aux belt was cracked! :eek:
So, Fred was the last person who did a cambelt for me, who's now the person to go to near South Birmingham?
I emailed Mick at Diamond, but got no reply :confused:
Ta.

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
I've just bought a 200 that had a cam belt 2 1/2 years ago by Billy back street :(
I was contemplating getting the belts done, but when I was sorting the dropped door today (had the wheel arch liner out) I noticed the aux belt was cracked! :eek:
So, Fred was the last person who did a cambelt for me, who's now the person to go to near South Birmingham?
I emailed Mick at Diamond, but got no reply :confused:
Ta.

Chris at BeanieSport in Milton Keynes

Clio
Is there any way of checking the quality of the cam belt. I have 2 clios, one 2007 (80k miles) and one 2004 (57k miles). I have no evidence whether they have ever been changed or not, and they only cost around £1K so it's not really worth getting them done.
Is there any indications if a cam belt may be about to snap?
Thanks

Last edited:

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
they only cost around £1K so it's not really worth getting them done.
Its not about how much they cost, its about how much they are worth. Now admittedly you wont see back what you spend on changing them in value (ie a car with belts due compared to a car thats had belts done recently), but there is massive difference in a car thats running and one thats engine needs replacing.