ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cambelt swap

yeah its that time for me - done 62K and dont *really* trust renaults flattering claim of 72K for one cambelt! So gonna get it dont, but dunno whether to do it myself.

I have changed a belt on an old 1 ltr micra, but obviously were lookin at a completely different engine here, and something which i WILL give a sh*t about if i muck up! Is it much different from, say, the micra type engine in terms of method, or shuld i leave it to the pros? is it tricky to strip the required parts in order to get to the belt?

Clio 1.6 16V

If you have doubts ....then dont do it m8. A significant amount of dosh to get it done ....but could cost you big time if you get it wrong! Also if you get it done by a Reno dealer/reputable garage their work should have a guarantee for a least a year.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by steve_rt on 24 November 2002

I have changed a belt on an old 1 ltr micra
I thought the micra had timing chains.. or was this a really old micra ;)

nope, was def. a belt!

ive looked up the haynes manual on how to change it, acceess actually seems to be easier than for the micra, with only the drivebelt to take off as the only component to remove. The only thing that looks a bit tricky to me is the part where you have to tension the belt yourself - it says that you must apply 30Nm force to get a deflection of 6mm - is this a vital measurement, and how have you lot measured this?

Timing belts a biyatch to change on old rts, you have to take so much stuff off!

As for the tensioning, you sholud be able to twist it 90 degrees at the longest point (apparently)

Id pay for it to be done properly if i were you...

...rang around today - think i will pay for it to be done, can get it done for £120 + VAT at an engine recon place, v.good reputation aswell so i know they wont piss about with it!

dont mind payin people if its for something thats woirth it!