ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Camshaft lobe wear

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Just popped off the rocker because it leaks a little..

Not impressed but the condition of the cam lobes as I've not seen wear like it on any of my cars before..

Opinions please, are they normal, or are they shot to pieces?

Cars on 65k does short trips which could explain much of the issue..

#im smiling no more

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
image.jpg

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It's not "normal" but I can't see anything that would have caused it either. Have the cams been replaced at some point?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It's almost like they've been running without adequate oil supply/volume.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Nope owned since new, no cams etc..

It's a little ruff to the nail in the middle section and also the guides are a little hazed.. There's actually a dink that's worn itself a nice channel all round..

I have 2 choices, start digging a deep hole replacing parts or accept its been like this a while and will chug along happily..

I'm going with option 2 as I known from past experience of mine and others, once to start disturbing an OE engine the journey never ends.. The engine and cams seem to be friends, I don't think I'll split them up just yet..

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
That's not loose dirt or grit, the fella that caused that is the cam itself..

So like I say, it's been there a while.. Since some grip got in there and cause it, or perhaps factory.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That's bad mate. Shove em back and run it till it dies.

I'd be tempted to have the oil pressure checked

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
That's bad mate. Shove em back and run it till it dies.

I'd be tempted to have the oil pressure checked

That's it, the engines been fine for 64k and my old dear runs it to sainsburys and back.. I think her short journey is what caused it and until that changes, it could happen again...

If or when it goes I'll cross that bridge.. Next door worked at some form of engineering place years ago and said it looks worse than it actually is..

The wear to the cams guides isn't like a mirror either, so if I need new cams I can't just drop it in as I will need to sort the head out too..

It's run till now and flawlessly, so it'll keep on running..

I appreciate the opinions and I think we're all on the same page, they aren't right, but they're there... I'll keep it in mind and plan for some future repair.. I'll have another 182 here soon with high miles so it'll be interesting to see the difference when we open that up..

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Another thing I should add, while nipping up the cover one of my bolts snapped, I kept them in order for once and was a little surprised.. I'm thinking someone's kindly nipped up the cam cover at some point to cure the leak, perhaps not helping in anyway shape or form.. It was no trouble to remove, clearly weak..

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yes that is plausible as over tightening of the precision cover bolts will reduce the clearances a minute amount which puts more pressure on the running journals/may cause them to run hotter which in turns causes damage to the material.

What are you torquing the bolts to and how are you doing it: down in full, one at a time or in staggered small stages?

Not being an engine builder, I don't know what the tolerance is on the cams but it won't be tricky to find out. Dans suggestion is a good one to be on the safe side.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I did the normal cylinder head spiral nipping it up and then 10-12nm..

I just looked on ktec for a new head and its £800 with the cover, cam, valves etc, so less the Ktax and it should be about 16p from Renault direct..

I would have to check the rest of the engine too, just incase its all in the same state of wear, kinda why I'm leaving it..

Clio 200
I just looked on ktec for a new head and its £800 with the cover, cam, valves etc, so less the Ktax and it should be about 16p from Renault direct..
I would have to check the rest of the engine too, just incase its all in the same state of wear, kinda why I'm leaving it..

Would a cheap fix and upgrade be sticking some mk3 RS cams in? It's not the full on expense of stripping and fixing along with say catcams etc.
I've actually got a set of mk3 200 cams, came out a few months ago on 30k. I wasn't planning on selling but it's slowly dawning on me the car will never go back standard and I've got a g'box rebuild to now fund :( Quick search seems like £150 delivered is the going rate. - But do realise I need to be a member to sell on here so will sort that asap.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
They would still be slotting into a head that has questionable wear itself, I would risk the head damaging the cams, hence leaving the engine complete..

Thanks anyway..

Clio 200
No worries, and yeah makes sense to leave from the point of view everythings already worn togther.
I'd forgoten I had them frankly and the thread just sparked a lightblub!!