ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can anyone explain this?!

ClioSport 182
I have been tracking down a rattling/cracking sound coming from the boot area for a few months now. I have stripped all of the boot compartment down to the bear minimal.

This weekend I made an odd discovery that I am at a loss to explain. The rattling/cracking sound is linked in some way to whether the climate control is on or off.

With it on, the sound starts almost immediately, and when I turn the climate control off it goes away again! What is below the boot floor which is related to the climate control??????

Anyone know?

KnightAzul

Mk2 172
Is it dependent on wether the AC is on/off or does it happen when just the fan is operational?

On my old 1.4rt, I used to have a squeal from the engine bay when doing over 60, with the air fan on. I think that was a loost spindle on the fan.

Yours sounds a little more baffaling than that.

ClioSport 182
It is climate control and I had it set to 21 degrees. The AC didn't kick in since the temp outside was around 6 degrees. So it's not related to the AC as such.

The rattling/cracking sound doesn't seem to vary much whether the fan is on 1 bar or full blast.

Very puzzling indeed. There must be something relating to the climate control below the floor of the boot ...

KnightAzul

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
It could be coming from area above the rear view mirror, there is a small fan in there that rattles that supplies the climate control with temps.

ClioSport 182
optical said:
It could be coming from area above the rear view mirror, there is a small fan in there that rattles that supplies the climate control with temps.

Nope, it is definitely coming from below or around the boot floor. I had my head craned over the rear passenger seats to verify! This is with the carpet, parcel shelf, and plastic bits removed from the boot area.

KnightAzul

ClioSport 182
Anyone got a Haynes manual or something and can look to see if there is anything related with the climate control in the boot area?

Will be going to Renualt this week, and would like to give them some guidance :)

KnightAzul

KnightAzul said:
Nope, it is definitely coming from below or around the boot floor. I had my head craned over the rear passenger seats to verify! This is with the carpet, parcel shelf, and plastic bits removed from the boot area.

KnightAzul

Hope you weren't doing above 60 when u did this :)

Black Clio GT
there could be a loose connection in the loom causing a crackling sound through to your rear speakers??

that would be my guess anyway!!

ClioSport 182
mat-nos said:
there could be a loose connection in the loom causing a crackling sound through to your rear speakers??

that would be my guess anyway!!

It's not the rear speakers. I checked this one. It sounds like the cracking/rattling sound is coming from below the boot floor, but not specifically from any one point.

KnightAzul

P.S: Under 60 all the way!!!

ClioSport 182
Got it booked in on 9th of March. I am clueless as to what it might be ... perhaps it might be something to do with air passing underneath the car, or in some duct, which is vibrating some part. When I put the climate control on, and let air into the car, then there is less volume of air entering under the car or into said duct.

KnightAzul

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
KnightAzul said:
Got it booked in on 9th of March. I am clueless as to what it might be ... perhaps it might be something to do with air passing underneath the car, or in some duct, which is vibrating some part. When I put the climate control on, and let air into the car, then there is less volume of air entering under the car or into said duct.

KnightAzul

Very strange :S

Seems like you've done everything humanly possible , so i wouldn't hold out much hope the Renault monkeys are gonnna find it .

MrBillyUK !

ClioSport 182
At least it's loud enough that the Renualt monkeys can't ignore it! Definitely could not be called "normal".
I doubt it's the fuel pump as I have noticed no difference in performance.

KnightAzul

ClioSport 182
And the answer is ...

Finally took my 182 back to Renault to investigate the rattling/cracking sound coming from the boot area which goes away when I turn the climate control on, and comes back when I turn it off.

It turns out that at the back of the car, if you remove the large plastic cover (the one which hides the boot lock catch), there are two plastic "vents" with flaps, one either side of the boot lock catch, just a little lower down. The rattling/cracking sound was the flaps hitting the plastic.

What purpose does this contraption serve? I understand that it has something to do with stopping the exhaust fumes entering the car, but at the same time, letting pressurized air escape.

Sound familiar? What can I do to stop the flaps making that sound. I guess sticking them shut is not a good idea!

KnightAzul

Rb 182
i think if theres positive pressure (ie your blower is on) inside the car the vents are forced open slightly and therefore dont rattle, however with the fan off there is no pressure differential and the flaps seem to be loosely moving around hitting the plastic, it does seem a bit odd as they are usually very thin rubber and i cant imagine them making much of a noise perhaps yours are faulty in some way? maybe heyve gone brittle or something? although in such a new car i doubt it

ClioSport 182
Perhaps they have gone brittle. I certainly didn't notice this sound when I bought the car from new just under 2 year ago, and it has gotten worst over the last few months.

I was thinking to spray some silicone oil or something similiar on the flaps which might quieten them down a little. This will be ok?

Failing that, any ideas how to remove these and put new ones on? Do I need to remove the rear bumper or can I do it all from inside the boot?

Thx,
KnightAzul