ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

can fuel consumption indicate an engines condition

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
So Im looking to buy a Clio of some sort, ideally a Trophy I think.. There's a few about and having read many threads regarding different power output from a stock engine and I was wondering how you could tell how good the engine is when going to view? Would mpg be an indicator? Im thinking if I drive for 5 minutes down the motorway at 70 and compare results, would better mpg suggest the engine is in better condition..
Thanks for reading :D

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
mpg means nothing unless its doing horrific at 10 or less.

good engine - FSH / belts blah blah blah, no knocks or grinding noises.

its common sence really

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I think I can tell a good sounding engine, might be worth getting an inspection? Ive read different outputs and Id like a good one thats worth spending money on..

It's complete pot luck finding one with a "freak" engine tbh. Generally the one's that are strong are the one's that have been driven properly from day one when they were new and serviced/maintained.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Get it rolling roaded, but that's massive overkill if you ask me. That's the only way to find out how strong the engine really is. It's a 182 though, it will be there or thereabouts, you're unlikely to get one with 130bhp!

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Get it rolling roaded, but that's massive overkill if you ask me. That's the only way to find out how strong the engine really is. It's a 182 though, it will be there or thereabouts, you're unlikely to get one with 130bhp!

So just take a punt, at least I have the van to compare it with.. If its slower ill leave it.. same or better and that will be good enough..

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
It's complete pot luck finding one with a "freak" engine tbh. Generally the one's that are strong are the one's that have been driven properly from day one when they were new and serviced/maintained.

​Cheers mate..

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
175ish. I'll put it on the rollers at my place soon as Gus bought it when Lewis bought an ITB'd 182 recently.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
umm, it's all in that thread. Low mileage bottom end, and ported the crap head to be better than a standard 172 one. Should be doing cams in it soon too so potential for a good result

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for linking that thread Danny, that's really interesting to see what you CAN buy.

Kangoosport - You'll know, assuming the F4R in the Kangoo is proper job, because you'll have that direct comparison. If it feels like it's missing a third of its power then it's time to walk.

If you are getting a Trophy, one with decent history and info on the CT forum then the likelihood of this happening again will be almost zero.