ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can I fit 17s on a 172 without any probs

Hi anyone,

I have searched the Forum as I expected this would be a common topic but couldnt find much. Basically, will 7x17s with 205/40 tyres go on a lowered 172 without any problems? Its been lowered by 40mm. If it is gonna be a load of hassle I am gonna get 16s instead.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Trev_m has 17s on and lowered it 40mm the pics are in the gallery. He may post he and give you a better answer.

I know they will fit with no probs with up to a 25mm drop but after that I think there may be a few probs.

On my mk2, i used 30mm avo springs (which drop it slightly more methinks) and i have problems on the rears only.

I am switching to eibach on the rear as geoff has no problems with his on 17s....just slight scrubbage and there is a metal clip which can cut the tyre slightly.

Ta

Jamie

Silver Fabia vRS

My 172 MK2 has been lowered 30mm all round on Eibachs and I have 17" alloys with 205/40 tyres on......no problems with scrubbage even with 4 people in the car and a boot full of luggage!

Its a Mk1 172, It will probably be dropped 40mm as I like a low ride height and I know that APEX springs are fantastic (had them on my 1.2 16V). If the performance will, be drastically affected though I will probably stay with 16s. No problems with these from anyone I trust?

Renault Laguna Coupe

The adverse effect on peformance of bigger wheels has been debated in the past on these very pages. I seem to remember that it would only be noticable if you had some really accurate timing equipment - e.g. a drag strip with timing equipment. I can say for sure though that my car (with 16s) has no discernable performance advantage over a car with 17s on a circuit.

Sorry, I didnt mean perfomance so much as handling. I really cant be arsed to take on a whole load of arch work if it simply means poorer response, fewer passengers and an underside you can do rollie pollies under! (I think I am answering my own question here!) - But it seems that 17s are just the norm these days. I remember MAX power in about 97 with a front page saying "NOVA ON 17s" as if it were a revelation!! - Anyone managed 20s on a clio yet .......lol....

*LOL* @ the current vogue of fitting huuuuuge wheels to cars. Hmm, fine for shows but totally pointless otherwise.... 18/19" rims on a Clio look too big for the car (IMHO), you end up with rubber band (read -expensive-) tyres with -no- compliance. The handling will suffer and youll cry when you hit a pot-hole or ride a bumpy road! Hardly worth the £1k+ expense.....unless you prefer just looking at your ride as opposed to driving it!! *LOL*

Lionel Richie

If you had a 1.2, youd learn its all about posing not about performance!!! "POWER IS NOTHING, POSING IS EVERTHING!!"

i know big rims looks the part,but im sticking with a 14 alloy,better for me as far as i am concerned,stuck out in the country here,so pot holes are the norm,i got 1.4 rt,and she does the best with the smaller rims,lowers well too,frig the big rims,waste of time,them guys only put 19s on to say they could do it,not for the actual fact that it helps you overall,thats where some mods loose the plot=))

Im ordering 18" TSW Apexs for my 1.2 16v. I took my car in and had them put on a test set of TSW Eurace 18"s to check the fit and look, and there was no scrubbage on full lock even though my cars lowered 40mm on Apex.