ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can i get a decent 172/Cup for £3500 or less?

Black Clio 172
As above. I used to have a valver back in 2005 and always dreamed of owning a 172 cup when they came out. I have dabbled with a Calibra and a Cougar v6 since then but want to go back to the clio world. Do you think it is possible to pick up a standard decent Cup or dark blue/black ph2 for around £3500 these days?

Black Clio 172
Is it really that scary not having abs on the cup? my valver didnt have abs and i never had any problems. I remember reading that the cup had uprated racing spec brakes instead but that may be my old age kicking in!

Is it really that scary not having abs on the cup? my valver didnt have abs and i never had any problems. I remember reading that the cup had uprated racing spec brakes instead but that may be my old age kicking in!

I've never had a problem having no ABS, it's pretty difficult to lock the wheels to be honest unless you stamp the brakes really. Each to their own really but aslong as you're not stupid or reckless it shouldn't really be an issue. Insuring a Cup can be a pain in the arse though due to alot of insurance companies either refusing to insure one or forcing you to pay a higher premium.

Golf GT TDI
prices cant have gone up that much???

i paid 3k for my 53 reg 172 1 owner from new 63k full renault service history not a mark or dent on it all original paint work still smells new inside, in sept 2008!

cant see them going up 2k if so iam selling up lol

Black Clio 172
For whatever reason i have my heart set on a cup (i had a 02 reg 1.4 16v in a similar blue from 02-05 and always wanted the cup when in the showroom). There is one locally to me for £4995 however I wanted to spend mor elike £4k max

Black Clio 172
Well... just got back from test driving a 02 plate with 78k which was sale for £3800. What a dog! Now i understand the car is 7.5 years old but the aux belt was on its way out, alloys, brakes and tyres needed replacing, paintwork poor and interior worn badly! i got the impression the guy would have accepted a fiver for it just to get rid! i bet the car gets 5 miles before the belt snaps! Now i accept for that price you cant expect a minter but my 10 year old cougar v6 with 110,000 miles is in far better condition!

It did have factory sat nav and a new exhaust mind lol

The hunt continues!

Black Clio 172
The hunt is over! I have bought a 02 reg Black 172 with 75K full renault service history and recent cambelt change and flawless bodywork, good alloys and brakes. Front tyres need attention soon and it has the common steering wheel issues but for the deal I got im happy. Anyone got any suggestions on how to address the steering wheel thumb inserts?

172 Cup
The hunt is over! I have bought a 02 reg Black 172 with 75K full renault service history and recent cambelt change and flawless bodywork, good alloys and brakes. Front tyres need attention soon and it has the common steering wheel issues but for the deal I got im happy. Anyone got any suggestions on how to address the steering wheel thumb inserts?

For thumbgrips get in touch with kevin.s selling these...
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=461397

Fitted some in mine and they're brilliant

Congratulations on getting the 172 aswell ;)

Glad to hear it mate.

Get some pics up ?

ph1 track weapon
Just picked mine up for £3300 (was up for £3600), 63k, needs belts doing and a good attack with a machine polisher, but she drives very nicely so I'm pretty happy

PH2 172
you pay for what you get really....you will get a "decent" example for 3500....well depends what you call decent!

My 04 172, 32k on the clock, with trophy wheels was up for 6k, i managed to get it for 5500, and with the belt done and other silly work (hole in rear seatbelt where it was trapped under the seat, washer jet etc) Im more than happy i paid the bit extra as it was a lovely example once the little niggles had been sorted!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Most of the cups i looked at around that sort of price not so long ago were f**king hammered.

Not to say you won't find one-just don't expect to come across an abundance of them

Williams 3
I only want £4250 for my 172 Cup. All of the belts have been done as well as the water pump, serviced, alloy wheels refurbished, only 48k miles and new tyres. It's a near showrooom example.

For a budget of £3500 I'd expect a higher mileage example and I'd not expect the belts to be done, as this could be circa £500 to do if done properly.