ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can you contest an isurance decision?

Basically my girlfriend crashed her car last week, 2000 W Reg 1.4 clio, done 70K miles.

The insurance company have offered her £1000, which has had her £450 excess taken off.

This sounds really harsh ??? Can you contest this figure? do they just make up whatever they want?

Vaux Astra VXR Arden Blue
you can argue the value if you have evidence of why it should be more
You cant change the excess, she agreed this when th epolicy was taken out

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
yes you can contest the value, and no it shouldnt be made up, we use glass's guide which stands up in court should it ever get that far, but even we appreciate it can get some values wrong on things such as rare vehicles etc

put the details on here mate and i'll value it on glass's for you :D

date of accident
year of car
exact model
cc
doors

yes you can contest the value, and no it shouldnt be made up, we use glass's guide which stands up in court should it ever get that far, but even we appreciate it can get some values wrong on things such as rare vehicles etc

do you have access this save me £3.50 ?

do you have access this save me £3.50 ?

as above gimme some details, i cant print it off or anything for you im afraid, you would have to go through our company and pay for that, but i can tell you if its worth doing a consumer glass's check :D

Iceberg 172
i wrote my last car off and was told by alot of people not to accept the first offer the insurance company give me as they will try and get away with paying out next to nothing but it was a good offer,£3000 for an x reg saxo vts and that was with my excess taken off which was £200,so i'm sure you can contest the offer the insurance company give you

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
Ill pm you some info on how it works and ways to get them to give you more for it mate

Last edited:
Cheers for the help guys, just done a Glass report on it, and it confrims that the insurance company are taking the p!ss !!! Ill let you know how we get on !

ATR
I had a similar problem, 1.4 106 one owner from new 1996 model with 40k on clock, mint cond. Offered £600, contested it, got 1400!

I printed off s**t loads of autotrader links to similar cars at much higher prices and told them to justify it and they agreed to raise it. that was a third party insurer though, not mine, so might be different.

RB 182
I tried to contest it, i got nowhere but that was with Tesco's who then kept me waiting 6 weeks for the cheque when the accident wasn't even my fault!
It was a year ago and i got £3600 for a 51 plate 172 with 100k on it. Id just put new brakes all round and a new subframe on it aswel! They dont take that into consideration tho which i think is wrong

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I tried to contest it, i got nowhere but that was with Tesco's who then kept me waiting 6 weeks for the cheque when the accident wasn't even my fault!
It was a year ago and i got £3600 for a 51 plate 172 with 100k on it. Id just put new brakes all round and a new subframe on it aswel! They dont take that into consideration tho which i think is wrong

Yup I had the same prob with Tesco not taking into account new brakes fitted 2 days before my write off. I didn't argue much tho because they prob made about 10-20mph lower impact.

They paid me out very quick though, within a week iirc, and was only £25 less than what I had paid for the car 2 months prior.

Yup I had the same prob with Tesco not taking into account new brakes fitted 2 days before my write off. I didn't argue much tho because they prob made about 10-20mph lower impact.

They paid me out very quick though, within a week iirc, and was only £25 less than what I had paid for the car 2 months prior.

brakes are service items, they dont enhance the vehicles value, just maintain it, same for the subframe, there must of been a reason for replacing it?

makes me laugh when people contest their value saying the engine has just had a full rebuild, my reply is, yes but WHY did it have a full rebuild? obviously there was something wrong with it in the first place! so all you are doing is keeping the vehicle roadworthy :rolleyes: maintaining not enhancing! if you didnt do the work there is a high chance the vehicle would break down, then it wouldnt be on the road and would be worth sack all lmao

modifications on the other hand are different as that is enhancing the vehicle, which therefore justifies a higher value :approve:

:boring:
modifications on the other hand are different as that is enhancing the vehicle, which therefore justifies a higher value :approve:

Not for most of the "modded" cars round where I live.. :rolleyes:

very true!

if i was paying out according to my taste there would be some seriously unhappy people around lol

on the plus side though i think i may have saved a williams from the chop yesterday, doing my bit for fellow clio owners :approve: :D