ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

can you have broadband without a landline?

535d / t5 caravelle
thinking of cutting down on the bills as where looking at moving house, is it possible to have no landline and still get broadband?

currently we have 3 for £30 with virgin, tv/broadband & landline, but we never use the landline anyway, so could we just cut it out and still have internet access

ps. we have a wireless router

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
yes, I've seen this at a house where I went to help someone out with their PC. I can't remember who it was by and didn't get a good look at it, but it looked to me like it was using some form of mobile phone antenna to access the net. I'll dig around and see if I can find anything.

535d / t5 caravelle
cheers mate, that would be good, sure i'm not the only one interested in this

535d / t5 caravelle
I don't see the point - if you can get a landline, just have it for the broadband?

never use the landline, just use my mobile, so whats the point in having it, if you can get it without a landline, hence the question

Monaro VXR
I don't see the point - if you can get a landline, just have it for the broadband?

never use the landline, just use my mobile, so whats the point in having it, if you can get it without a landline, hence the question

Because it will likely cost you more than you are currently paying. £30 for TV, Broadband and phone is cheap. Without the phone it is still fairly cheap.

M2 Competition
Yes.

I have just virgin broadband.

No phone, no tv. Doesnt work out much cheaper, but have no use for the other two.

Ring them up, will surely save you a bit.

clio 182 black /gold
Im with virgin and i had just broadband as it comes with a modem. No phone or TV. Get the package 2 for £20 if that still applies. Now i have 3 for £30.

clio 182 black /gold
Oh the broadband comes down the fibre optic same as the tv.The phone line needed another cable to activate it

Same here. Only reason I have a landline is for internet. I'm waiting to borrow my sister-in-law's 3 modem to see what sort of speed/performance it gives, and if we get enough of a decent signal here. I'm thinking of taking out a 3 mobile contract very soon too and I'm sure they do even better deals on the 3 modem for mobile customers.

Had a run in with BT - useless f**kers - and have no access to cable etc in this area. Looking for any method to get broadband other than via a BT line.

tiTTy & SV650
i was raging having to pay BT for a line installation just so I could get 'decent' broadband. Tried my bosses vodafone gprs laptop dongle thing and it was crap!

o2 broadband upto 8Mb for £7.50 a month over my BT line with free evening and weekend calls - so about £20 all in - aint bad and great speed.

Monaco Ph2 172
Your best bet is to go for a usb modem from three.
As long as you dont want to download films and that.

http://www.three.co.uk/personal/products_services_/mobile_broadband_/detail.omp

Its £10 per month and you can go on the net anywhere as long as you have 3g signal (same as mobile phones)
You basically plug it into your pc / laptop and thats it.

I am pretty sure there is a really low fair-usage limit disclaimer on there somewhere :)

As for Virgin, you get the base TV package free with a land-line, so just pretend it's the other way round :p

i was raging having to pay BT for a line installation just so I could get 'decent' broadband. Tried my bosses vodafone gprs laptop dongle thing and it was crap!

o2 broadband upto 8Mb for £7.50 a month over my BT line with free evening and weekend calls - so about £20 all in - aint bad and great speed.

Aye, not convinced the 3 USB thing will be any chat, but worth trying. I hate BT!

Monaco Ph2 172
Just like to add that I can't stand BT either - I have to put up with their terrible service at work. 99.99% uptime my arse.

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Yes Virgin do BB only, but with a phonle line in many instances it is only 50p more expensive.

With the 3 mobile thingy you get a 3gb data allowance each month (pathetic) and can charge as much as £1 ber Mb you go over on pay as you go or 10p per Mb on Contract.

Compete waste of time and money

The 3G USB sticks is a terrible suggestion for a permanent internet connection at home - especially if you can get another service.
I'd even chose Virgin Broadband over a 3G stick.. seriously :p