ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon compact cameras and CHDK

182 Cup
I'm looking for a nice little compact camera. I like Canon, I've had one for years, it works fine and I like it, but it's only 5mp so thought I'd look at upgrading.

I looked at the Powershot s100 and it looks pretty good for a compact, but do I really need to spend nearly £350 for the manual features it offers?

I've read about 'hacking' Canons with CHDK and I'm wondering if I could get away with spending less with a lower model.

Anyone got any experience with CHDK who could impart their wisdom on me?

Cheers

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
what is your current Canon model? and why do you 'need' more than 5mp? do you only look at images on the computer or do you plan on printing stuff really big?

More megapixies doesn't always mean better pictures. More MP can actually make pictures produce higher 'noise'.

182 Cup
My current camera is a Canon Ixus 50 from many years ago. I'm not sure that I do need more (I'm no pro, but I like to play with settings), but the image quality appears to be much better on another newer Ixus that I was playing with and the much larger viewing screen looked great!

Some pictures will be printed (probably no bigger than A4), but the majority will viewed on a PC or television.

Check on the Canon Outlet on eBay, i just got a "refurb" PowerShot SX210IS for £70, and from what I can tell not a single mark on it!
They also come with a 1 year warranty for peace of mind, and I can definitely say I wouldn't have got a better camera for the money!

(I went for it for the fact that i wanted a DSLR but it was too expensive so found this which can shoot RAW (with custom firmware on your SD Card), which i wanted for HDR etc.

edit: Just saw you mentioned CHDK, that's what I'm using :).

It's an absolute doddle to use, you install the firmware on your memory card and set the Lock on the card, the software itself will boot up when you turn the card on and will software Unlock the card to write to it.
No messing about with needing to flash the Camera etc, so there's no risk whatsoever!

Oil Burner
I've used CHDK before and found it about as clear as mud to operate.

It is a very crude way of gaining lots of mainly useless features.

However i does add a few good features such as the time lapse feature and (if you're that way inclined) RAW output.