ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car Audio Noise and Alternator Noise! HELP ! ! ! !

Clio 182FF
Greetings,

I have a 2005 Clio Dynamique and got fed up with the standard radio/speakers so decided to have them upgraded.

Here is what i have:
Sony CD headunit 4x50w, uprated Vibe speakers in the doors and rear area, 175w 6x9's on the parcel shelf and a Vibe Blackbox 3 Amp and 12" passive sub in the boot.

Only the 6x9's and the sub run off the amp which is in turn connected to my Sony head unit.

My problem is that the 6x9's are making a faint hissing noise and also when i'm driving I'm getting alternator noise which changes in pitch through them. The noise does not seem to effect the sub which is odd since they share an amp.

My questions:
1) The hissing/faint noise from the 6x9's, is this normal for 6x9's when connected to an amp.
2) The alternator noise is really driving me insane. I've read it could be the grounding point or something. I want to get rid of it without having to use a Ground Loop Isolator.

PLEASE help me fix this problem before I burn my car with fire!

Shadow

Clio dynamique 1.4 16v
Just sand down to the bare metal under your back seat and drill a little hole and screw the earth wire down. Also make sure your power leads for the amp go down the opposite side of the car to your rca leads.

Clio 182FF
Just sand down to the bare metal under your back seat and drill a little hole and screw the earth wire down. Also make sure your power leads for the amp go down the opposite side of the car to your rca leads.

Thanks for the swift reply. I had the system installed by a car audio place (and to be honest I wish I'd done it myself and I'm a noob).

I am unsure if they've ran the RCA's down separate sides, this I will check when i get home; I'm guessing they have not.

As for the amp earth, is there a way i can do this without drilling holes? Me and powertools do not go togeather!

Shadow

Clio MK2 (1.2)
When i connected ym 6x9's in the old car onto the amp they just made a funny noise, so i manualy wired them through the front speakers and problems solved,

amp earth is easy, (clio right?) look in the boot to the left hand side, were the back ov the back light is, you will see like a little clip thingy with a 10mm nut onit, remove that put earth and close the bolt :D job done,

and ye you should have done it yourself, it SIMPLE :)

Clio 182FF
Yeah it is a Clio (fear the roar of my 1.2L engine!)

I'm one of thease guys that knows the theory, has a rough idea of what to do, but no idea how to execute it haha.

I will have a look when i can get to my car later and see if i can move the earth, i bet they will have earthed it somewhere odd.

As for the 6x9's I will try turning the gain down.

I may post some pictures of the setup from hell if I can't figure it out. I need someone to hold mah hand.

Shadow

Clio 182FF
Update!

Okay, I've looked at how it's been installed. They HAVE ran the power and RCA leads down the same side of the car (which makes me angry), however, when i do unplug the RCA's from my amp (so no inputs are connected to it) I am STILL getting alternator noise through the 6x9's which indicates to me the the earth is the problem.

The amp is earthed to a large bolt which appears to hold the rear seats in place. The earth wire is really thick (about 1.3cm thick without measuring it).

Someone said about earthing it to some bolts where the lights were. All i could see were some thumb plastic bolts which seem to go into the lights.

Any ideas or suggestions? Also the 6x9's still seem to have a constant hiss to them (even when RCA inputs are pulled out). I'm hopeing this is also the earth that's causing this.

Cheers,
Shadow

Clio MK2 (1.2)
pics033.jpg

Clio MK2 (1.2)
mines on the other side of were i have earthed it, but that what it looks like

imo remove the 6x9's so that they arnt connected by the Amp, and make and extra connection from the front speakers, run the speaker cable under the floor and into the boot, that should stop the funny noise of the 6x9's.

Last edited:
  Polo + Micra
i always run the power and rca's down the same side as it makes no difference (have proof before anyone thinks of questioning it lol)

it's a bad earth giving you problems

if you have got a mk2 then take out the rear centre seat belt buckle catch and earth it there. just make sure you got a good lug on the end of the cable

Clio 182FF
Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I don't seem to have thease earth points in my boot like you do. I've taken some pictures of my boot so you can see.

I also am now 95% sure that the AMP's earth is causing the problem.

On the picture of the right side of the boot, the rear seat bolt is where the amp is currently earthed and seems to be picking up noise from.

My clio is a Mk3 I believe (2005 model).

Shadow