ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car Covers good or bad?

Will2010T

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio MK2 PH2 172
Hi I've bought today a car cover as I'm sick of washing the car and then the building site near us creating dust which goes all over the car!!, as I'm going too try the cover tomorrow after washing the car first I just wanted too know if the cover won't scratch my car? It feels soft enough under just about the wind moving the cover around as we live on a hill !! Any tips would be great thanks

will

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
My car cover cost ~£150 and I still expect paintwork damage.

If yours was sub £50 I would say damage is inevitable.

Treat yourself to a professional detail annually and it'll be ok :)

Will2010T

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio MK2 PH2 172
Yeah it's a £30 one from Argos fully waterproof and thanks nice too see people use them I just seem too be polishing and waxing it so much cuz of this dust near us and just thought it would be a safe option

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Yeah it's a £30 one from Argos fully waterproof and thanks nice too see people use them I just seem too be polishing and waxing it so much cuz of this dust near us and just thought it would be a safe option

No don't buy it.

Will2010T

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio MK2 PH2 172
Bought it just too keep the dust off as it looks like it's been though a sand storm! Most days I wake up !!

The thing is, you can only use a cover when the car is clean, otherwise you'll scratch the paintwork.

I have a custom one, but I rarely use it.

133/225/CLS AMG
I've used car covers for years and never had any problems at all. I wouldn't be without one as my cars don't move very often.

Try CoverYourCar.co.uk for some good covers and brilliant customer service.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
A cover should be tailored for the car, otherwise it will move too much in the wind. It should be PROPERLY breathable, with figures available from the vendor, hence should not have an instruction to remove it every few days-a properly breathable cover can stay on for months at a time. UV resistance is also very important-a good cover fabric will wihstand the Arizona sunshine test for 2 months, equivalent to at least 5 years use in the UK, it should also be a good UV blocker to protect the paint and plastic parts of the car.Low UV resistance means that the water resistance and the mechanical strength of the cover fabric can begin to degrade within 2 months. There is no such thing as 100% waterproof incidentally; any vendor quoting a percentage of waterproofness is talking nonsense, the water resistance of a fabric is quoted in millimetres, and a good figure is a metre. There are only a very few fabrics worldwide that meet these criteria(and they are not from the Far East), and I import one of them to use in my business.A proper fabric to make even a Clio sized allweather cover costs me almost £100 alone, so that should put into perspective roughly where the retail price of a worthwhile cover should be.