ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car will not start, its electrical but battery (seems) fine.

Hi,

I went to my car yesterday morning and unlocked the doors as normal using the key fob, got it and tried to turn the engine on, but it didnt fire up (no mechanical noise at all, only a clicking from the needles as they bounced on the bottom). I then noticed my time had reset to 00:00 and all the cockpit lights were dim. At this stage I checked to see if I had left anything on however all the internal items were off.

I thought this was just a flat/low battery so tried to jump start it, however exact same thing happened just needles clicking and bouncing. I took the battery from the car into the house overnight to charge it but the charger said the battery was full (i still left it on just incase it was a false reading). This morning I put the battery back in and now when I go to start it the needles dont even bounce (and no clicking).

It all points to a flat battery (dim lights in cabin, try the horn they go dimmer etc) but jumping the car dosnt help and the metre says the battery is full. Any one got any ideas?

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Hi mate, I had this problem last week, it was the battery, after a long time time they tend to not hold charge anymore, Go to your local motorfactors and get a new one, sort me 39 quid ;)

Hi mate, I had this problem last week, it was the battery, after a long time time they tend to not hold charge anymore, Go to your local motorfactors and get a new one, sort me 39 quid ;)

Thanks for your reply Nick, wouldn't I have seen some signs that my battery was dying (its about 2 years old and always tends to start first time).

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
My battery was absolutly fine mate and all of a sudden started doing exactly what yours was doing, i had dim lights, slow windows, i could bump it tho, but wouldnt turn over, would just "click" like you said. What happens is because the battery aint giving out enough V's for the engine, and the management, the clocks and stuff just go crazy, I had to put the code back into my radio and reset my clock too.

Hope this helps.