ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car won't start, guessing flat battery?

FF Orange Clio 182
Hi Guys,

I've spent all day cleaning my car and I've came to reverse back into my parking spot and it won't start. The solenoid is clicking and the fans/radio work. The car will flash its lights when being locked but the mechanism doesn't go off. Put it on my Mams MX5 for 5 minutes and almost turned over, but after another few attempts and even 15 minutes on my old Fiesta it still isn't firing.

I left the key turned over to put the windows down slightly while Rain-X'ing and had the radio on and I think the fans too. I did the windows and finished off a few bits, maybe took about 30-45 minutes max? During cleaning I turned it around 5 times so I think these things combined has made by battery dead but I don't know my way around a car.

Other things I'm considering are messing something up when using degreaser a little bit in the engine bay and just generally wiping stuff, and spraying the inside of the exhaust tips black but I was careful (although ended up with a little on the bumper, oops.)

Should I just let it charge for longer or do you think it's something else?

Thanks, Oliver

Ph1 track slag
Battery is probably ready for changing sounds like it's fully drained itself and will need a long slow charge. Shouldn't have gone that flat in that time so maybe worth just buying a new one for piece of mind. Nothing worse than doubting your car starting every time you go to it!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
So you started the car 5 times then pretty much switched it off right away, then left the ignition on for 45 mins?

I'd say it's flat lol

FF Orange Clio 182
Battery is probably ready for changing sounds like it's fully drained itself and will need a long slow charge. Shouldn't have gone that flat in that time so maybe worth just buying a new one for piece of mind. Nothing worse than doubting your car starting every time you go to it!

Hasn't been too bad apart from today. Will wait to see what happens, it started pouring it down so I've just left it for today, will have to try before work tomorrow.

So you started the car 5 times then pretty much switched it off right away, then left the ignition on for 45 mins?

I'd say it's flat lol
hi it wont even jump start with leads on another car?

Yeah, what do I need to do? I've already tried jumping it with leads for about 15 minutes in total, that should have done it right? Will trying to run it off a bigger battery help?

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
should fire up from jumping another car stupid question was other car engine running and leads on correct,im not taking the pee ive done it myself

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
It should fire up right away if using jump leads connected to it from another car.

FF Orange Clio 182
Yeah the other car was running and I'm pretty sure the leads were on right. I'm guessing quality of the leads will make a difference, they were an old pair so could be bad?
Would a bump start be better? Anything else? If that doesn't work think I'll need a new battery?

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
should just start up mate being jump started,i had this in mine last year radio on 20mins dead battery,i did need new battery but it still worked being jumped,try again see if you had leads on wrong way

FF Orange Clio 182
Tried it off the leads again this morning, still didn't work. Got bumped and it's working fine now.

Let's see if it starts on the way back from work :grimacing:

225 Cup & Williams
My 172 was doing the exact same thing as yours a few weeks back.

Turned out to be a shagged gearbox earth strap.