ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Carbon wrapping

Black 03 172
I'm thinking of carbon wrapping my renault badges front and back, and my badge bullets. Any advice/videos from anyone will be welcome. Also if anyone can direct me to a 'how to' link on how to get the boot one off ill love you forever. Cheers.

I'm thinking of carbon wrapping my renault badges front and back, and my badge bullets. Any advice/videos from anyone will be welcome. Also if anyone can direct me to a 'how to' link on how to get the boot one off ill love you forever. Cheers.

Ill just tell u lol, open your boot remove the plastic trip where the handle to pull the boot down is, it's 1 screw and a load of clips just pull :p ! Then you will see 3 10mm bolts to undo, undo those and the whole boot handle where the renault badge is will come off. You won't be able to take the badge off the handle as its plastic welded.

I carbon wrapped the diamonds on my old car, turned out pretty good imo.
IMG_2281.jpg
12-1.png
It is a lot easier to wrap them, rather than spraying them, also if you decide you don't like them, you can take it off or easily swap it for a different colour.

Black 03 172
Ill just tell u lol, open your boot remove the plastic trip where the handle to pull the boot down is, it's 1 screw and a load of clips just pull :p ! Then you will see 3 10mm bolts to undo, undo those and the whole boot handle where the renault badge is will come off. You won't be able to take the badge off the handle as its plastic welded.

Thanks!!

I didn't realise people had replied to this..Thanks everyone else too

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
My problem with it is that it isn't real, and it doesn't look real. Falls in to the same category as a ripspeed sun strip for me.

Some of it does look very real.

And so for not being real, what actual advantages would a "real" carbon badge have over a wrapped plastic one?

BG 182

And so for not being real, what actual advantages would a "real" carbon badge have over a wrapped plastic one?

I agree with this tbh. If it doesn't look s**t, which some of the carbon wrap can do.. But some can look very good.

I think a bit of it is willy waving..

I work with the real stuff all day every day, I have yet to find any that in the flesh looks real.
I also wouldn't even entertain the idea of either a real carbon or a fake carbon badge on my car.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I work with the real stuff all day every day, I have yet to find any that in the flesh looks real.

Have you seen the ones where people use a very thin sheet of carbon to cover in and then laquer it? That looks real.

I also wouldn't even entertain the idea of either a real carbon or a fake carbon badge on my car.

Im a bit bored of carbon stuff like that TBH too, but it can look ok if thats the theme of the car.

Have you seen the ones where people use a very thin sheet of carbon to cover in and then laquer it? That looks real.

Im a bit bored of carbon stuff like that TBH too, but it can look ok if thats the theme of the car.

I have seen that, it is wet lay wrapping. I have also seen members on here advertising items which have been wet lay wrapped selling them as streamline products. It is very easy to get weave distortion (which makes my eyes bleed)with wet lay wrapping as you are laying dry cloth down on to a gel coat. It is also easy to pull the material a bit too much and then you end up with little gaps between the tows. Wet lay items also tend to yellow more as they tend to use much cheaper resins than you get with pre preg.

phase 1 flamer 172
Wrapping is like a breast implant, however good they look they just aren't real.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Wrapping is like a breast implant, however good they look they just aren't real.

But how is that different to the "metal" badges on there to start with?
No one seems to mind plastic wrapped in chrome look finish, so why mind it in carbon look finish?

KTM 990 SD / S60 D5
I quite like the look and feel of some carbon wrap. Each to there own, if you like it do it, if you don't, don't

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I have seen that, it is wet lay wrapping. I have also seen members on here advertising items which have been wet lay wrapped selling them as streamline products. It is very easy to get weave distortion (which makes my eyes bleed)with wet lay wrapping as you are laying dry cloth down on to a gel coat. It is also easy to pull the material a bit too much and then you end up with little gaps between the tows. Wet lay items also tend to yellow more as they tend to use much cheaper resins than you get with pre preg.

I think you are probably too much of an expert to see it through the eyes of the rest of us mate, we dont notice those little details, especially when stood 10 foot away just glancing at a car which is about all I tend to do myself anyway other than engine bays, lol

Perhaps I am, that is what I get for working with the stuff I guess. I certainly could never have any for style over performance as I'd just spend all day looking for faults in it.
I would say to people looking to buy carbon parts if you are paying a premium for streamline parts then make sure they are genuine streamline and not just cheap carbon wet lay wraps, knocked up in someones garage.

Black 03 172
Gosh what have I started here!!!

Ive done my badges now, they look ok. Obviously not as good as the real thing but at the moment I can't justify spending £80 on 2 badges when I have a baby due next month :). I WILL get them one day....

I did it more of an experiment to see if I'd like it. It cost me £3 to do both badges, if I hadn't of liked it-no bother.

Next stop window tints and engine cover.........discuss :)