ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cat bolts, why are springs fitted?

2014 Clio 200t edc
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but my cat bolts are waggling like a dogs tail, and it's blowing from the bottom. Why are the bolts fitted with springs, and more importantly do they have to be?

So that if it needs to flex it can I imagine. If you have your exhaust completely rigid you'll snap a weld somewhere, whether it be on the exhaust or on the manifold from the vibrations!

At least thats what I think.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
So that if it needs to flex it can I imagine. If you have your exhaust completely rigid you'll snap a weld somewhere, whether it be on the exhaust or on the manifold from the vibrations!

At least thats what I think.

This is what I think too.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Ah right, was thinking of doing a pikey fix and using bolts. Tho I think the springs might still be usable, they don't seem as old as the bolts.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Its about £20 now for the kit I would have said...just make sure you get the Renault genuine one as the motor factor ones dont last as long.