ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cat D Nightmare

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
As in sure some of you are aware, my clio is up for sale.

I bought it from a forum member who in turn had bought it from another forum member so I never hpi'd it.

A potential buyer just hpi'd it and told me it was a cat d. I checked and it is from 2010.

Remember - no matter who you're buying from - hpi it!

Gutted.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah, I know. It's the only car I've not done as knew the owners on here. Never mind, it'll break for parts when the time comes.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
That's not great news. Although Cat D on a clio can be for something reasonably minor (paint etc).

Any buyer should be able to see how sound / good your car is from your project thread on here. Cat D or not.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
CAT d on a 10 year old car! Wouldn't bother me but would affect price. . Who sold it u, name and shame

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It wouldn't bother 99% of people but it makes asking nearly £4000 for a clio even harder to justify.

Just goes to show that its worth doing every time. (Says he with four cars parked outside, none of which i've Hpi'd! lol)

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Shame, i would never buy a cat D, not because its been crash repaired but for the fact its marked as a cat D and will be a pain in the arse to sell.

Nissan 350z
At least you know if its been declared a CatD its been repaired to a decent enough standard as its gone through insurance. Its the damaged and repaired on the cheap ones (so not on the Cat register) you need to worry about! lol.

172 Turbo
It actually doesn't bother me, my last 205 had been totalled twice!

But the price must reflect the status.

Nissan 350z
CAT d means the insurance didn't approve the repair they sold it on

I thought that's CatC when something is uneconomical to repair? Isnt CatD when the damage is less than the value of the car so its repaired?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Is it wrong/stupid/worse that I've never hpi'd a car? Out of all if then I know the meg coupe was in a rear ender and the flamer had a new front bumper and headlight but other than them I have no idea. Might be registered might not!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I thought that's CatC when something is uneconomical to repair? Isnt CatD when the damage is less than the value of the car so its repaired?

No chap.

Cat D in general is repairs that equal more than 65% the value. Cat C is generally over 100%.

If it's categorised 99 times out a hundred an insurance company have total loss'd and pay a settlement for a car.

Be wary though, it's not difficult to buy a non registered "total loss".

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
is there not a test the car can go through alignment/jig visual check over that you pay for that can remove a cat d status sure ive seen it before done on a car program on the tv.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Propper gutting that my brother never hpi'd it either.

It's a stunning car all the same though and I'd certainly pay the money you're asking for it as I know the car inside out and it is stunning.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Propper gutting that my brother never hpi'd it either.

It's a stunning car all the same though and I'd certainly pay the money you're asking for it as I know the car inside out and it is stunning.

Cheers mate - Shame you're not buying lol!

I've knocked £700 off the eBay price so we'll see what happens.

Is it wrong/stupid/worse that I've never hpi'd a car? Out of all if then I know the meg coupe was in a rear ender and the flamer had a new front bumper and headlight but other than them I have no idea. Might be registered might not!

I havent either, i have categorized my phase 1 in cat c through my own opinion lol.

The 350z he showed me the HPI check, but I didnt double check myself lol

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Wish you hadn't done that Jim

Im not passing my bad luck onto someone else mate as it's not fair. It's probably the mintest clio I've owned and it will just take someone to look beyond the cat d status. The wheels, bodies, ecu, and exhaust would sell for nearly 2.5k and that's before you start looking at the cammed engine, panels, interior, coilies and stuff like that.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
No chap.

Cat D in general is repairs that equal more than 65% the value. Cat C is generally over 100%.

If it's categorised 99 times out a hundred an insurance company have total loss'd and pay a settlement for a car.

Be wary though, it's not difficult to buy a non registered "total loss".
My Mk5 DBP R32 was a non recorded write off (I was gutted when I found out. Hence the X5)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Like said last night mate, what a pain. It would sell easier on here imo as most know how well you look after your cars. Mint car, glwts :)

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Like said last night mate, what a pain. It would sell easier on here imo as most know how well you look after your cars. Mint car, glwts :)

Cheers mate, I've bought and sold about 30 cars and this is the first one I've been burnt on so I ain't done too bad.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Be an interesting fact to find out how many cars have had bits of work and not been recorded, mmm lets think, alot!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I've had at least 3 cat d cars. Not really bothered me and I've not really lost any money on them. There are usually cheaper for a reason and it's ur own fault if u don't hpi it.

isnt cat d minor damage?. i think d is no structural repairs so could be something as simple as the paint was ruined by a keyed scratch or brake fluid etc. or maybe stolen and wheels interior nicked possibly. shame the owner who had the car at the time didnt pass on the info of exactly what happened with photo proof as it could be the simplest of things. i would never buy a car without hpi unless its in the hundreds of pounds but also i would never sell on a car with a cat c or d without informing the new owner.

Odyssey 172 phase 1
As in sure some of you are aware, my clio is up for sale.

I bought it from a forum member who in turn had bought it from another forum member so I never hpi'd it.

A potential buyer just hpi'd it and told me it was a cat d. I checked and it is from 2010.

Remember - no matter who you're buying from - hpi it!

Gutted.

I would agree with you on this as my previous car was a cat d but i bought on an ebay auction, and didn't know it had been involved in a rear end shunt in 2005, but made the mistake with out checking its background.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I'd never be put off by that. Current condition is literally all that matters. I see badly repaired clios all the time and most aren't registered. If it's good, then it's good

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
isnt cat d minor damage?. i think d is no structural repairs so could be something as simple as the paint was ruined by a keyed scratch or brake fluid etc. or maybe stolen and wheels interior nicked possibly. shame the owner who had the car at the time didnt pass on the info of exactly what happened with photo proof as it could be the simplest of things. i would never buy a car without hpi unless its in the hundreds of pounds but also i would never sell on a car with a cat c or d without informing the new owner.

I know the previous owner and he bought it in 2012 from another guy who was also on here! s**t happens and I guess I'm lucky that I don't need to sell it.