ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CAT/mani fitting question

fitted a new sealing ring/kit to the manifold/CAT joint on my car yesterday and it's still blowing.

the CAT's original; i noticed that the sealing faces at either end are quite badly pitted and am wondering if they're not sealing for that reason.

does this seem a resonable assumption and has anyone had issues like this before?

thanks

ValverInBits
not quite sure what to suggest. That join is normally pretty good. Are you sure it's blowing from the mani/CAT join?

Get the spring loaded bolts loose and wiggle it round a bit to get it seated better? then retighten evenly on both sides.
Wouldnt really recommend exhaust paste it that join as it's designed for a little movement, but as a last resort maybe

thanks - likewise, thinking paste isn't the best at a joint like that.

the springs are both fully compressed and the CAT's a reasonable fit over the ring as far as i can see/feel. there's clean metal (of varying thickness) around the inside of the CAT bellmouth, but quite a lot of pitting at the outside.

i would consider taking the system off so that i can try realigning the CAT over the ring but it's also blowing from the CAT->system joint, despite having fitted a new gasket (face of the flange is also pitted there).

Lots of Alfas
Dont use any kind of paste between the cat/manifold, you dont want that going through the cat.

As above id try and re-align. While its loose put some paste on the gasket between the cat and the system. Ive done this as mine was blowing when i bought my sports cat and new gasket. I sealed it with some silicone gasket stuff from halfords.

just re-visited this - thanks for the replies. that's what i think i'm going to do; use some sort of paste at the cat/system joint and see if it can be realigned at the cat/mani whilst the system's off (again..)

cheers