ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chamois Maintenance

Treated the valver to a few car cleaning products from halfords yesterday, one of the items being a new "Chamois" (@ 9.99 may i add!)

However ive never used one before to dry the car before - i use a damp towel normally. When drying the car with it today i couldnt help but notice the car body work smearing? took the chamois into the house a rinsed it out - and i notice a load of yellow dye coming out?! (this normal?) I rinsed it out best i could and finished drying the car off - after the rinse it seemed ok.

Now ive cleaned the chamois - what do i do with it? Can it be left to dry out? its got a few grease marks on it, ideally id love to shove it in the washing machine.

Can anyone tell me the best way to look after it?
Are they safe to put into the a washing machine?
how long do they last?
Should they be left to dry or should they always be kept moist? i had one before that dried out and feel apart.
cheers.

When you get them new wash them in warm water and a touch of detergent to remove the dye.

Always use cold water when leathering the car.

You cant put them in the washing machine.

You should always hang it out to dry, if kept wet then it will rot.

Mine usually last about 4-6 motnhs, thats being used every week.

Sometimes you get black marks on it froma round the windows, there is nothing you can do about this

Should last about 6 months if you look after it.

You cant put it in the washing machine, grease marks are normal.

Always let it dry after using it! After using it, I usually soak it in a solution of washing up liquid and water for 10-20 mins (max) and then rinse it and wring it out, and leave it to dry before storing it away.

Before using it on the car, always wet it with cold water and wring it out a little.

I have used a chamois on and off for about three years, but I always go back to some freshly washed towels (warm and damp, straight from the washing machine).

For some reason, I have a brainwave every six months or so that a chamois would be better than this, but am always disappointed. Although theyre great for not scratching the bodywork, I find that the car always dries too quickly for them to be effective and that I end up using a towel to mop up any stuff they dont dry!

Always use a damp towel, otherwise it will scratch the car.

Lee

BMW M2C

Why cant you use it in warm water? I always use mine in cold but was thinking of using warm as my poor hands were like blocks of ice. :oops:

cheers guys,

P.S

Is it normal for the chamois to smell like a wet fish when drying? The GF just asked me if id been washing the chamois with fresh squid & prawns :confused: Why does it smell so bad? Surely this has something to do with the dye?

Elise/VX220/R26

Just one for all you cleaning enthusiasts. I got this proper good thing this weekend which makes chammying 100 times easier & quicker. Its a silicome squeegee, so just after youve rinsed the car down you squeegee it to get rid of all that surface water then you shammy whats left.

Washed and shammyed the car in about 20 mins on saturday. Best 3 quid I ever spent!

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

yep, as jonnyboy says. squeegee first, then chamy :D

squeeze the chammy out then leave it to dry when finished.

Valver

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 29 February 2004

Just one for all you cleaning enthusiasts. I got this proper good thing this weekend which makes chammying 100 times easier & quicker. Its a silicome squeegee, so just after youve rinsed the car down you squeegee it to get rid of all that surface water then you shammy whats left.

Washed and shammyed the car in about 20 mins on saturday. Best 3 quid I ever spent!

Arghh, paid nearly ten quid for mine,:(

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 29 February 2004
Why cant you use it in warm water? I always use mine in cold but was thinking of using warm as my poor hands were like blocks of ice. :oops:

Get some rubber gloves! :p

yeh, i paid about a tenner for my rubber squeegie thing, works a treat though, not on saturday morning when i couldnt get the car door open as the f**ker had frozen shut

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 29 February 2004

Ive seen these - dont they scratch your paint work tho? i know there only plastic but i dont like the idea of squeeging my valver with a rubbing lip like that.

Are they safe?

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

Nah, they are well safe. And I spent about a tenner on mine too :(

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Clare on 29 February 2004

Get some rubber gloves! :p
I really need to as my hands are really bad at the moment. Thing is Id rather that than wear rubber gloves in public.

Im not happy, my car has now gone two weeks without wash, I usually do it every weekend but Ive been too busy lately. :( Itll have to wait until Friday.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

after washing my car i use my rubber squeegy thing.. takes off most of the water (that way my hands dont freeze as much as they usually would) i then rinse the shammy through, squeeze it out, and run that over the car.. After finishing i hang the shammy on the Airer (thing we hang clothes on) to dry.. then put it away.

Im always gentle with the squeegy thing though.. i trust it, but im cautious.

Mk2 172 (Silver)

I gave up with chamois and now use a Meguiars waffle weave cloth.

Use it from dry and it does the whole car easily its so big!!! Only needs wringing out once (if that)!!

Better than a chamois too as it can be put in the washing machine so Im hoping it lasts a long time!!

...and it doesnt smear either!!! :D

Quote: Originally posted by Clare on 29 February 2004Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 29 February 2004 Why cant you use it in warm water? I always use mine in cold but was thinking of using warm as my poor hands were like blocks of ice. :oops:
[/QUOTE]

Get some rubber gloves! :p [/QUOTE]I really need to as my hands are really bad at the moment. Thing is Id rather that than wear rubber gloves in public.Im not happy, my car has now gone two weeks without wash, I usually do it every weekend but Ive been too busy lately. :( Itll have to wait until Friday.

My hands suffer with the cold too - probably the reason why I havent got around to cleaning the car for almost 3 weeks now. :cry:

Mondeo STTDCI

I gave up on conventional Chamois as they are IMHO crap. I now have a synthetic one. And its a MILLION times better in my experience. Plus I put it in the washing machine (well my old dear does for me!) and it comes out a treat. Never lets me down.

Skoda Fabia vRS

the cheap rubber blades are crap in my experience, the Auto Glym one however is really good, wouldnt bother with the Turtle Wax one.....

i use a synthetic chamois aswell, no need to care about storing it, jus put it away, itll never rot, had mine almost 3 years now