ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing 172 Cup springs. Advice?

172 Cup
Hi guys, I am hoping to replace both front springs on my Cup without spring compressors, I beleive it's possible.. I also assume that this is also true when swapping for OE springs (like I am going to do) as well as lowering springs.

Can someone explain to me why it's possible to get away with not using spring compressors on the Cup/Sports. What's the difference between these and normal Clios?

I'm just looking for some reasurement really. I will be following Fubar's gudie. Thanks.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
You don't need to use spring compressors because the srpings are not under compression when the strut is off the car.

you definitely don't need them to get the struts off the car, or to dismantle the struts, but they might be useful to help shorten the spring whilst you're putting them back together. the damper rods drop slowly and it can be fiddly trying to get the retaining nut back over the new assembly whilst the rod's dropping. people seem to manage without though

M2 Competition
Off topic slightly, but once you've put Oe springs back onto a cup it will be the most fun you've ever had in it!

I've done mine without compressors. Just have someone to hand to give you a lift when rebuilding the shocker. It's abit difficult trying to push the topmount and top hat down whilst screwing the nut down on the top of the strut.

Heard some horror stories whilst dismantling struts with bigger springs(more compressed) though.

172 Cup
Thanks for the comments guys, I haven't got any spring compressors, which is why I'm asking the question.. I don't fancy buying some for this one occasion... tryna do it as cheaply as possible, i.e. no cost. :)

clio 172 cup
Thanks for the comments guys, I haven't got any spring compressors, which is why I'm asking the question.. I don't fancy buying some for this one occasion... tryna do it as cheaply as possible, i.e. no cost. :)
i no but once u got um u can use um again on other cars. thats what i thought iv bought some and done loads of cars ;)

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Just make sure youve got a rubber tipped mallet to knock out the 2 mounting bolts without damaging the thread. Mine were seized in & were an absolute motherf**ker to get out.