ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing a steering wheel in a 2003 clio...

How do you do it pleeeeeaaasseee :)

had a quick bash at it but couldnt fathom it out. Thought it might be somet silly or easy!

Also just found my passenger seat wont slide back, cant see any coins trapped? any ideas? is this a normal problem? its a 172 interior.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
To remove steering wheel..

Disconnect battery from the car and leave for about 1-2 hours for the airbags to fully discharge.. believe me you dont want an airbag going off when you have your head right next to it trying to remove it.. it could kill you !

Once you have left it with the battery disconnected feel round the back of the steering wheel and you will find 2 metal clips holding the airbag unit on.. you can use a flat blade screwdriver to prise them out afterwhich the airbag unit will pop out.

After that you need a bit torx driver (you can get an appropriate one at most halfords, i bought a torx one that attached to my normal ratchet) and undo the bolt almost completly... the trick here is to leave the bolt on a couple turns so that when you pull the steering wheel off you dont hit yourself in the face with it ;)

once the wheel is loose, undo the bolt complely and remove steering wheel !

Job done !

Wicked!! ill try that tomorrow! cheers mate! much appreciated for the indepth stage by stage guide, coz im not great when it comes to things like this! but fine when i know what im expecting lol.

Also, would you know if a boss kit that fits a citroen saxo & pug 106 fit my renault clio to? or is it completely different? mate gave me his boss kit free and didnt wanna order another one until i knew for sure.

Clio 1.2 16 - 2003
I looked into changing my wheel but was worried because once the airbag is removed and a steering wheels without an airbag is put in its place does this not keep a light on your dash saying the airbag has been deployed?

If so then surely this would affect your other 3 airbags in the car, aswell as the pre-tensioners ... ?

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
Just Change it for a Renault Sport steering wheel then you will still have an airbag.

Wiggz said:
I looked into changing my wheel but was worried because once the airbag is removed and a steering wheels without an airbag is put in its place does this not keep a light on your dash saying the airbag has been deployed?

If so then surely this would affect your other 3 airbags in the car, aswell as the pre-tensioners ... ?
Do a search for a post I started on the subject it tells you want resisters to stick in the wiring to stop this happending and make the rest of the airbgas work.

richard691 said:
Just Change it for a Renault Sport steering wheel then you will still have an airbag.

and what would be the point in that? :S yes u still have an air bag but ur left with the same steering wheel apart from a piece of colour coded metal.

yeah what edde said mate, there are resistors u need! ive not got my air bags connected currently anyways, i need to sort it so only the pass and the seats one work but ive still gotta plug my 172 seats in. im s**t when it comes to things like that tho so im gonna pay someone to do it, dont trust my self with safety etc!

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
connor said:
and what would be the point in that? :S yes u still have an air bag but ur left with the same steering wheel apart from a piece of colour coded metal.

yeah what edde said mate, there are resistors u need! ive not got my air bags connected currently anyways, i need to sort it so only the pass and the seats one work but ive still gotta plug my 172 seats in. im sh*t when it comes to things like that tho so im gonna pay someone to do it, dont trust my self with safety etc!

Totally different steering wheel mate, I changed from a Dynamique one to a Renault Sport one. Much better.

www.renparts.co.uk
connor said:
and what would be the point in that? :S yes u still have an air bag but ur left with the same steering wheel apart from a piece of colour coded metal.QUOTE]

i fear you may be blind..... hand grips? ;)

Clio Sport 1.2 16V
As far as your seat goes when you lift the lever there is a pin that connects the level to the ratchet that holds the seat in place - this can be found if you look along the guide rails that the seat slide in.

On my clio the pin popped out and I had the same problem - the pin will hopefully still be lurking about under your seat so try and find it and push it back in to the hole and this will fix the problem (assuming this was the problem).

If this isnt clear let me know and ill try and describe it in a bit more detail

i fear you may be blind..... hand grips? ;)

oooooooooooooooooooh hand grips..... oooh, hold me back coz i just cant wait to go and buy one lol.

doesnt change the fact its oversized.

ive got the momo millenium waiting to go on which i think will be an improvement over the factory one. just need to get the fitting kit now!

& mike F, i think that was the problem cheers mate! i felt somet and pushed it in, (not 100% if it was that tho) and its sorted now :) which is all good!