ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing gearbox oil good or bad idea?

Clio 182
As above really I see lots of different opinions, mine can be abit dodgy from the top of 2nd into 3rd although not very often I think I want to change it before doing a track day as its not exactly expensive have many people done this and had it made a difference or is it asking for trouble?

2014 Clio 200t edc
I know there's a guide, but is it difficult to do? Think like a mechanical idiot with basic tools, now answer the question. Lol

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Easy to do.

1. Remove under tray
2. USE a sump plug tool to remove the plug on bottom of gearbox... over a bucket.
3. Let it drain
4. Undo the wing bolt on front of gearbox.. you may need to remove air filter to access it.
5. Put plug back In bottom of gearbox with a new washer.
6. Using a 10 mm pipe, slide an Ince into hole on front of gearbox.
7. U seeing a funnel at end of pipe, pour 3L of fresh gearbox oil into the gearbox.
8. Remove pipe and put wing bolt back in place.
9. Refit air box.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
its a really easy gearbox to change the oil on as the filler hole is also the level hole!

Inferno 182 & Saxo
depends which brand you use, some stuff absolutely stinks which I believe is the friction modifier added to the oil. The millers 75w80 I use doesnt actually smell too bad compared to some. Get it on you clothes however and the smell doesnt come out

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
depends which brand you use, some stuff absolutely stinks which I believe is the friction modifier added to the oil. The millers 75w80 I use doesnt actually smell too bad compared to some. Get it on you clothes however and the smell doesnt come out

The Elf stuff is what I've used.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
How much was that for 3l? Think I got the millers for about 24 quid delivered for 5l of it which was a great deal as it's usually silly money

Clio 182
I wondered whether it was a bad idea as I have heard that some manufacturers recommend never changing it and it can actually do more harm that good doing so. As so many of you have had success in doing it I think I might as well.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
remember changing a clutch on my mates old beater of a 1.1 saxo and my mate "somehow" got a shoe full of 100k mile gear box oil ha

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
I checked to see if i had a full gearbox as i have selector leak... I forgot i filled it when on a hill so it took 3.5L... I now have the best part of 400ML on my drive -.-

Clio 182
Just went to the local motor factors to get the oil, they did it of the reg and it came up with 75w80 so I thought fine, got home and found its bloody mineral oil!. What is the actual spec from Renault I assume mineral oil is not it!

Clio 182
Can anyone confirm that the mineral oil is wrong? Also the oil is GL-4 whereas the manual states GL-5, except the manual doesn't cover the 2.0! This is a bit of a minefield.

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
My Renault do 5 litres for £35. When I was looking around it was near £10 a litre for other brands so thought, for £5 more I'd rather buy the proper stuff and have spare

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
i had mine changed with the stuff renault use which is what i linked above,gears are much smoother now etc,ring and pay for next day delivery if its urgent

Inferno 182 & Saxo
I ran mine on total bv which is mineral for a good while and had no problems. Use millers fully synth now though

ksixx

ClioSport Club Member
incase anyone stumbles on to this page when looking to do a Gearbox oil change and Find the right oil like myself it's all below.

For reference for anyone who ever looks at this thread I rang up Renault to be sure and this guy has it right. 75W-80 synthetic and GL4+.

Easy to do.

1. Remove under tray
2. USE a sump plug tool to remove the plug on bottom of gearbox... over a bucket.
3. Let it drain
4. Undo the wing bolt on front of gearbox.. you may need to remove air filter to access it.
5. Put plug back In bottom of gearbox with a new washer.
6. Using a 10 mm pipe, slide an Ince into hole on front of gearbox.
7. U seeing a funnel at end of pipe, pour 3L of fresh gearbox oil into the gearbox.
8. Remove pipe and put wing bolt back in place.
9. Refit air box.

I've gone for ;

Elf Tranself NFP 75W-80 Transmission Fluid​

eBay

Opieoils

RPD

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
JC5 box Oil is ELF NFJ not NFP

Fecker, had to go out to the garage to check what I used at the weekend, couldn't see the front in the only pic I had.

1611015748755.png

It was NFJ :) do you happen to know what the difference is?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Fecker, had to go out to the garage to check what I used at the weekend, couldn't see the front in the only pic I had.

View attachment 1516482

It was NFJ :) do you happen to know what the difference is?
NFP is slightly thinner, they're both GL4 iirc so shouldn't be too much of an issue but the PK4 boxes had issues with NFJ so they made NFP a bit thinner so bearings and diffs didn't wear out as much